Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Solina String Ensemble - by... Behringer

I'm just wondering since there already is a the Waldorf Streichfett which is inexpensive. And I have several boards and modules with that sample. From what I heard in that video, I can't imagine someone saying: "Ooh I gots to get me some fake sound emulations from a copy of a machine regarded as the worst sounding solina produced!".

He stated in video some regard it as the worst of the bunch. What am I missing?

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

And there is a need for this?

I can imagine people want it and not only because it´s "hip" ...

It´s compact, it has MIDI and it has dedicated audio I/Os on mini-TS for "modulation" (which is the chorus-ensemble effect) and the "phaser" (Small Stone clone).

I remember in the past, producers modded their ARP/Solina just to have the chorus-ensemble effect available for other sound sources.

Now you get it all out of the box.

None of my software emulations, freeware or payware, offers the functionality above and except MIDI.

Now I wait for the price ...

A.C.

If I was going to buy Behringer, and if I wanted that seasick string ensemble sound, I would get the one with choir and vocoder.

That´s "rolandish" string ensemble sound.

Don´t need cheesy choir and vocoder,- even I liked my Roland SVC-350 in the past.

My vocoder is S|C Vocodizer on XITE-1.

The string machines are all not the same ...

I owned many in the past,- Solina, Hohner String Melody, Roland RS and Yamaha SS,- and sold ´em all when the Prophet 5 was available.

For native software I use Sonic Projects "Stringer" (on DAW and V-Machine) and Full Bucket Music "Nabla" and "Deputy" freeware.

A.C.

Made its way into tracks by Bowie, Pink Floyd, and of course, Gary Wright"s Dream Weaver.

If I were doing a demo of a re-creation instrument like this, I'd make sure I played some of those iconic parts from the above mentioned artists. I thought the demo was a bit of a fail...

Demo did suck.

I make great String Ensembles in minutes with Omnisphere or Zebra.

Omnisphere has the Solina Chorus effect which makes it even easier.

I used an TC Electronics Chorus and MXR Phase 90 on the OBX for my ARP String Ensemble replacement.

Sounded much better than Solina or ARP.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Sound of the Instrument: WEAK

Demo: LAME.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The Solina is the most famous string synth so it makes sense from a marketing viewpoint to clone it. There are others that were probably better. Judging by YouTube demos and samples in the Nord Stage 3 I like the Godwin String Concert 249 or 749 which has been used by Flock of Seagulls in more recent shows. Very scarce in the US and rarely seen for sale although there is currently one for sale in Cyprus on Reverb.

[video:youtube]

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

To my ears it was the Logan/Hohner String Melody 2 that ticked all the boxes. Although more limited in some respects it sounded sweeter, lusher and both more defined and refined. A String Melody, Wurli and Clav covered all my solo gigs in pre-midi days.

Too wheezy & cheesy for me at this late date. It has a certain cultural time-stamp on it that makes my teeth itch. Divide-downs and paraphonics took a major hit when programmable synths appeared. Its also the case that I DO like some of the sounds in this realm, but I prefer to roll my own into modern shapes. The triple-chorus was a brilliant design decision, but its three clicks away in all of my effects lists. The hardware seems superfluous.

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"