Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Genesis to reunite for 2020 tour

I'm going to catch Steve Hackett's "Selling England by the Pound" tour tonight. My wife and I had gone to catch the last two tours, and were very favorably impressed. (FWIW, I'd seen Genesis, Gabriel, and Hackett, all doing their own tours, all back in the late 70's/early 80's.) If you want to hear Genesis' music, check out Steve Hackett's tour, instead.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Phil Collins quit playing music due to deafness and other physical problems?

Money must be good, not sure I'd want to hear a deaf man try to sing to a band he cannot hear properly.

Just for one thing.

I bailed on Genesis when they went "pop" and had cheesy radio hits.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I'm going to catch Steve Hackett's "Selling England by the Pound" tour tonight. My wife and I had gone to catch the last two tours, and were very favorably impressed. (FWIW, I'd seen Genesis, Gabriel, and Hackett, all doing their own tours, all back in the late 70's/early 80's.) If you want to hear Genesis' music, check out Steve Hackett's tour, instead.

[font:Verdana]He and his band were here a couple of nights ago. Bunch of my friends went, and have been raving about it nonstop ever since. Sounds like they burned the f-n house down.[/font]

The last Genesis tour I went to see was the "Abacab" tour. There were some great moments that night, including Tony Banks giving us a lovely rendition of ". . . Slippermen", but the newer, Pop tunes sounded out of place, and I was done after that. Phil Collins came out with a Trumpet he used solely as a prop during . . . I honestly can't recall the name of that hit tune, and won't make myself seem smarter than I am by looking it up? It had the Tower of Power Horn section playing on the original recording, I remember that much.

I kept listening to Hackett and Gabriel long after I gave up on Collins' version of Genesis. I never heard anything from the brief effort by Rutherford and Banks to re-form as a duo in the 90's? I know there was an album, I just never heard anything from it.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

The last Genesis tour I went to see was the "Abacab" tour. There were some great moments that night, including Tony Banks giving us a lovely rendition of ". . . Slippermen", but the newer, Pop tunes sounded out of place, and I was done after that. Phil Collins came out with a Trumpet he used solely as a prop during . . . I honestly can't recall the name of that hit tune, and won't make myself seem smarter than I am by looking it up? It had the Tower of Power Horn section playing on the original recording, I remember that much.

Sussudio?

FunMachine.

Genesis is one of those bands I never got to see in their hey-day. No desire to see them now.

Funny, sometimes a band can be your own little secret and then they get a hit, become popular, then you sort of feel betrayed and forget about them.

Would have loved to have seen Gabriel/Genesis or pre-Breakfast Supertramp.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

I thought Phil Collins quit playing music due to deafness and other physical problems?

Money must be good, not sure I'd want to hear a deaf man try to sing to a band he cannot hear properly.

Just for one thing.

The previous Genesis tour was after his ear infection.....he is not deaf while many senior musicians have continued to perform almost deaf John Entwistle, Steven Stills, etc........ he cannot play drums so much if at all since an injury taking place while playing on that tour. It had something to do with his sitting/playing posture and pinching nerves in his neck and/or back.

I'm going to catch Steve Hackett's "Selling England by the Pound" tour tonight.

Wow. Thanks for mentioning this. I had no idea he was performing my favorite album on this tour. I'll try to catch them in Northampton. Enjoy!

Man I'm glad I'm not famous or successful.

This caught my eye, and after some reflection I couldn't find any obvious reason to disagree with your statement. On the other hand, I am glad that certain other folks are famous and successful, such as Genesis.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Do you guys really feel betrayed? I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I really don't think they are worried about some musicians on a forum? They can do whatever they want.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I'd much rather see a new band like Tame Impala, for example, than a lame old Genesis reboot (and I'm a 62 year old geezer :laugh: ).

I do agree about Steve Hackett though, I saw his band a couple years back and it was like reliving classic Genesis. He was great.

I have seen Hackett a few times during the past years, and he's very good -- there's something special about hearing music played by the artist that originated it, even if they don't play exactly like they did back in the day. However, it must be said that Hackett has a tendency to surround himself with rather mediocre drummers, which is a shame, as the drumming in Genesis was always top notch.

I'm going to catch Steve Hackett's "Selling England by the Pound" tour tonight.

Wow. Thanks for mentioning this. I had no idea he was performing my favorite album on this tour. I'll try to catch them in Northampton. Enjoy!

@Tusker - Last night's show was just great! First set is a collection of Hackett's solo works, very nicely done, the second set (after a short Intermission) is "Selling England By The Pound", performed in order, in its entirety, along with a tune, "Deja Vu", which was somehow left off of most versions of the album. My heartiest recommendation! Oh, yes, BTW, their next series of shows will feature the Music from "Seconds Out".

I kept listening to Hackett and Gabriel long after I gave up on Collins' version of Genesis. I never heard anything from the brief effort by Rutherford and Banks to re-form as a duo in the 90's? I know there was an album, I just never heard anything from it.

That was probably "No reply at all" they performed.

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ ESI UNIK 8+ monitors/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo/ CPS Spacestation 

Sussudio?

*pukes*

Reminded of my own stupidity, Genesis with Peter Gabriel came to Warners Theater in Fresno on the Lamb Lies Down On Broadway tour and I was too stupid to buy a ticket and see them.

Way too late now, so it goes.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I have seen Hackett a few times during the past years, and he's very good -- there's something special about hearing music played by the artist that originated it, even if they don't play exactly like they did back in the day. However, it must be said that Hackett has a tendency to surround himself with rather mediocre drummers, which is a shame, as the drumming in Genesis was always top notch.

No idea how Hackett feels about Collins but John Lennon always had a muted bass presence in his solo material (to my ears and "muted" is just the best word I can think of now). The feelings between Lennon and McCartney are well documented.

Does anyone know whether Genesis ever performed any Collins solo material in their live shows? I don't think they did and that song with the Tower of Power horns was not likely Sussedio. Collins used the Earth Wind and Fire horn section for something(s) solo and Genesis used them for No Reply At All. (Echoing tonybanksfan).

In a way Genesis would be better off focusing on the pre-POP era for this tour if only because it is gentler on vocals but they are doing this for money not nostalgia. A few stadium shows is easier than quite a few more intimate venues. They would not see the same ticket sales because so many people know them from the POP material.

I saw them for the Wind & Wuthering support tour, and again for either the Then There Were Three or Duke tour (don't remember which).

On the one hand, the high school prog rock kid in me remembers some of the adolescent outrage of "it's not like Foxtrot!!", and I was not much of a fan of ABACAB era forays into shorter, more poppy material.

But nowadays I don't listen to much 30-minute prog suite stuff. My ears hear it differently these days - quite a bit of it sounds like strutting and fretting upon a stage, much sound and fury, signifying nothing.

At the same time, at my age I respect even more the long career these guys enjoyed, to have released that many albums, with so frequent occurrences of really new and fresh music and ideas (for their time). Within a body of work that spans 21 albums, yes, there is some unevenness and some stuff I prefer over others. But that's a great career in music, no matter why they're going to go out on this tour again.

And mentioning this upcoming tour - does anyone really know why they're going out again? Have they actually said anything meaningful about their motives...or are we presuming to know?

The ability to want to play music never leaves any musician and these guy's aren't any different.

Yep exactly. Same reason I'll hopefully be playing in my mediocre way for a lot more years.

This tour will definitely be impacted by the COVID-19/coronavirus paranoia. They may not get it off the ground the way things appear to be headed.

2020 has been postponed until 2021. This will be the year that never happened

Let"s hope it is only one year that never happened.

There are three bands whose albums have been like constant friends to me throughout my life -- Genesis, Boston, and Rush. I've gotten to see the latter two several times each, so I'm good. But for whatever reason, I've never been able to see Genesis, and thought that ship had sailed. If they come anywhere near me this time, I'm going! And I may drag my family along with me. Even if Phil is not anywhere near his peak, I'm still going to get to hear those huge Tony Banks keyboard sounds, and watch Mike Rutherford play those parts that are so deeply burned into my brain. Duke and Abacab were the albums that turned me on to them, though I like and appreciate their whole catalog. I like Peter Gabriel as a solo performer (agree completely about Secret World, it's amazing), but I prefer the Collins-fronted Genesis by far. I hope this tour really happens!

MODX7, Alesis QS8, Hammond XK-2, DSI Tetra

QSC K8.2 x2, CPS Spacestation v.3

I posted this over on my FB page but it seems appropriate to post here as well.

Genesis is my all-time favorite band, which is probably incredibly geeky but such is life. I adore their 70s output and I even enjoy their 80s output including most of Invisible Touch. Yes, they became a pop group in the 80s. If they hadn't, the group would've died in the 80s and we wouldn't have all the great music they produced afterwards. (There is viable music outside of prog, you know.) They still always had pseudo-progressive tracks on all their releases up to and including We Can't Dance, which I consider half a Phil Collins solo record and half a Genesis record. The 'We Can't Dance' tour was the only one I saw, even though I've loved the band since I can remember. Of course I was only 10 years old during the Invisible Touch tour, so that was not a possibility anyway.

Any time there is a discussion about Genesis you can guarantee that 90% of the comments will be how they have sucked ever since Peter Gabriel and/or Steve Hackett left. It's exhausting and lazy and I do not share this sentiment at all. In fact, I consider Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering as strong if not musically stronger than anything of the Gabriel-era output. I also think And Then There Were Three... is a sleeper; completely underrated with fantastic songs and a totally unique atmosphere thanks to the production and Tony's synthesizers. Not to mention the drumming on that album. Holy shit. And I enjoy the poppier elements that came in the 80s. I would say Duke is in my Top 5 Genesis albums. Banks' writing really matured on that album and the textures he coaxes from his keyboards is beautifully orchestral and different from what everyone else was doing at the time. And again, the drumming. Holy shit!

Also, any time there is a rumor of a reunion, 90% of the comments will be how any reunion without PG or SH is a waste of time and worthless.

Gabriel left Genesis in 1975. That was FORTY FIVE years ago, folks. This means that he has not been a part of the group for roughly six times as long as he was in it. The last time he performed with them was at Milton Keynes in 1982 (which by all accounts was a disaster). That was 38 years ago. They have released twice as many records without him than with him. The same numbers apply generally to Steve Hackett (though he's only on five of the original seven albums with Gabriel and stayed with the group up until 1977.)

I think Hackett would probably join Genesis for a tour if asked. But why would they ask him? The group has been a trio since 1978 (42 years). He didn't play on any of the albums that made them international rockstars. And they don't perform much of that old material nor have they in decades. What would he do during the Invisible Touch segment of the show? Like it or not, that's what the majority of the public knows Genesis for.

I don't think Gabriel would do it even if asked. He shows absolutely no interest in re-visiting that music. And I can hardly blame him. He was 25 years old when he left. Think about that. He's 70 now. He has accomplished so much in his career since then. I can't imagine he's anywhere near the same person that he was back then. Other than fixing some vocals for the live material they included in the box sets in the early 2000s, he hasn't touched that material in decades.

As of right now, they only have UK dates booked. If they come to the States and the ticket prices are not ridiculous, I'll try to see them just because I love them even though I don't expect it to be fantastic. One of my dreams is to meet Tony Banks and have a chat with him about his influences. I am concerned about Phil's health; it is such a shame he cannot play drums any more. Regardless of what you may think of his solo work, he is one of the most influential and creative rock drummers to ever pick up a pair of sticks. This is truly the last hurrah for them as a group. They are all in or approaching their 70s now. I can't imagine they'll do this again.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to seeing The Musical Box at Monroe 20 on March 25th. Long live prog and long live Genesis!

I'm wondering if there is a cryptic message in the "The Last Domino" image they are using to promote the tour.

They have 3 domino's in the process of falling. The last looks like a 4 on top and a 3 on the bottom that has fallen but not sure because it's partially hidden.

The 2nd has a 1 over 5 in the process of falling. The first domino has a 3 over 5 and yet to fall.

The first domino may signify the upcoming and final tour ever with three of the original five guys in the lineup and possibly their finale.

The second domino may signify Phil's last tour where he was the solo artist of the five performing a few Genesis songs.

The last domino I'm not sure about so is anyone's guess. I think the domino numbers may have been picked for a reason or...

the numbers are just random and mean nothing at all.

Anybody want to weigh in with a conspiracy theory or interpretation? Lol...

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ ESI UNIK 8+ monitors/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo/ CPS Spacestation 

.....And mentioning this upcoming tour - does anyone really know why they're going out again? Have they actually said anything meaningful about their motives...or are we presuming to know?

"Presume" Its primary meaning is to suppose something is the case on the basis of probability. That said, one motive is very likely for the financial benefit of Mike and Tony (not that they are destitute). Whether voiced directly or not you can gather plenty by observing and listening to the interaction in their last tour documentary and reading interviews. It is very clear that Mike and Tony wanted to tour for years but Phil had other interests. They attempted to go forward with a different vocalist and they abandoned that seeing how ticket sales indicated US fans were not on board. Rather than damaging the drawing power of "Genesis" they dissolved that project and waited for the opportunity to tour with Phil. I am surprised Phil did a solo tour recently. He was in much better shape for that last Genesis tour and was reluctant to participate and resistant to adding more dates. The band ought to sound good even though Phil won't be on drums and his vocals may be compromised.

I posted this over on my FB page but it seems appropriate to post here as well.

Genesis is my all-time favorite band, which is probably incredibly geeky but such is life. I adore their 70s output and I even enjoy their 80s output including most of Invisible Touch. Yes, they became a pop group in the 80s. If they hadn't, the group would've died in the 80s and we wouldn't have all the great music they produced afterwards. (There is viable music outside of prog, you know.) They still always had pseudo-progressive tracks on all their releases up to and including We Can't Dance, which I consider half a Phil Collins solo record and half a Genesis record. The 'We Can't Dance' tour was the only one I saw, even though I've loved the band since I can remember. Of course I was only 10 years old during the Invisible Touch tour, so that was not a possibility anyway.

Any time there is a discussion about Genesis you can guarantee that 90% of the comments will be how they have sucked ever since Peter Gabriel and/or Steve Hackett left. It's exhausting and lazy and I do not share this sentiment at all. In fact, I consider Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering as strong if not musically stronger than anything of the Gabriel-era output. I also think And Then There Were Three... is a sleeper; completely underrated with fantastic songs and a totally unique atmosphere thanks to the production and Tony's synthesizers. Not to mention the drumming on that album. Holy shit. And I enjoy the poppier elements that came in the 80s. I would say Duke is in my Top 5 Genesis albums. Banks' writing really matured on that album and the textures he coaxes from his keyboards is beautifully orchestral and different from what everyone else was doing at the time. And again, the drumming. Holy shit!

Also, any time there is a rumor of a reunion, 90% of the comments will be how any reunion without PG or SH is a waste of time and worthless.

Gabriel left Genesis in 1975. That was FORTY FIVE years ago, folks. This means that he has not been a part of the group for roughly six times as long as he was in it. The last time he performed with them was at Milton Keynes in 1982 (which by all accounts was a disaster). That was 38 years ago. They have released twice as many records without him than with him. The same numbers apply generally to Steve Hackett (though he's only on five of the original seven albums with Gabriel and stayed with the group up until 1977.)

I think Hackett would probably join Genesis for a tour if asked. But why would they ask him? The group has been a trio since 1978 (42 years). He didn't play on any of the albums that made them international rockstars. And they don't perform much of that old material nor have they in decades. What would he do during the Invisible Touch segment of the show? Like it or not, that's what the majority of the public knows Genesis for.

I don't think Gabriel would do it even if asked. He shows absolutely no interest in re-visiting that music. And I can hardly blame him. He was 25 years old when he left. Think about that. He's 70 now. He has accomplished so much in his career since then. I can't imagine he's anywhere near the same person that he was back then. Other than fixing some vocals for the live material they included in the box sets in the early 2000s, he hasn't touched that material in decades.

As of right now, they only have UK dates booked. If they come to the States and the ticket prices are not ridiculous, I'll try to see them just because I love them even though I don't expect it to be fantastic. One of my dreams is to meet Tony Banks and have a chat with him about his influences. I am concerned about Phil's health; it is such a shame he cannot play drums any more. Regardless of what you may think of his solo work, he is one of the most influential and creative rock drummers to ever pick up a pair of sticks. This is truly the last hurrah for them as a group. They are all in or approaching their 70s now. I can't imagine they'll do this again.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to seeing The Musical Box at Monroe 20 on March 25th. Long live prog and long live Genesis!

Well said.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

That was probably "No reply at all" they performed.

No TOP, but EWF, IIRC.

Back OT again: let's see where this leads to. I actually dug the 2007 Tour (based on recording/video footage), esp. the variety of song material (as opposed to the WCD tour).