Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Styles covers Gabriel

[video:youtube]

YMMV but I think he"s got just the right range and timbre for this one. The band did their homework too. I forgot what a deep groove this track has - great fun for any drummer and a challenge to make it feel right.

1985 - internet says the flute is an Emu Emulator 2. So probably not hard to find that sample. The rest - id guess Fairlight and Prophet 5. Triggered here with Novation controllers - probably running MainStage, or maybe they have these samples loaded into the Nord. Nice job on the harmonies too.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the flute sample is the same one used for the original, it works with the band wrapped around it but the difference was clear in that isolated intro.....I don't think any of the samples are identical......it doesn't matter though because they had enough and performed this tight and with the punch it requires.....everyone was tight especially the harmonies. The pink haired girl was doing most of the backing harmonies but they mostly spotlighted the blonde, I am calling out the cameraman for blonde bias!

One thing Stern has contributed to radio history is many many many similarly great live performances by various musicians over the years. I think he can pull out very interesting interviews from most people but this seems to carry over to performances in the studio as well. People seem to be inspired to try harder and succeed when on that show.

That was fantastic. I'd love to hear him do more PG. And that drummer's pocket is ocean deep.

When we covered that back in the 80s I used the Emax shakuhachi sample, which to my ear was balls on. I assumed PG used the Fairlight but if it was the E2 it makes sense.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Wow, just so impressed with how relaxed they were, no stress or undue effort, everything was a study in absolute craft, everything pared down to the last beat, obviously the original had amazing production standards-

As for the keyboard sounds- I don't know the original by heart, but for how I remember the feel and sound grooviness to be, this attempt at convincing reproduction worked for me. I'm curious now to see the original video. Everything was extremely well played, but I didn't feel a strong groove between the players. That's how you know you have top level musos, when you can play well on stage even in less than ideal monitoring and stage volumes. And to be far away enough from each other that you're not in much visual contact. But when you have such a well-orchestrated song, you're not as dependent on the groove of the group, it all works if everyone plays their part.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

[video:youtube]

1985 - internet says the flute is an Emu Emulator 2. So probably not hard to find that sample. The rest - id guess Fairlight and Prophet 5. Triggered here with Novation controllers - probably running MainStage, or maybe they have these samples loaded into the Nord. Nice job on the harmonies too.

Yes, a really good cover... reminds me what a deep groove the tune has, and the drummer nails it.

The 'flute' is a shakuhachi, and the sample is from the Emulator 2. So the Emax would have certainly had it as well.

Makes me want to try to cover the tune on my weekly dance gig... I"ll have to do some homework. Thanks!

Jerry

What's with the over-the-ear headphones + IEM (worn out of the ear)? Is this some alt-style the yout' rockers are adopting to show the rest of us how old we are? Or is it like the guy who wears both belt and suspenders for the added security?

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

What's with the over-the-ear headphones + IEM (worn out of the ear)? Is this some alt-style the yout' rockers are adopting to show the rest of us how old we are? Or is it like the guy who wears both belt and suspenders for the added security?

2 thoughts on this. At the moment, young people don't go anywhere without headphones. I stop to talk to people all the time and they can't hear me until they've yanked the wireless earbuds out.

Also, it would seem for whatever reason he preferred the SONY MDR's to the in ears - and he's wearing one slightly off the ear. This is really common for singers who prefer to sing acoustically and have a much better sense of themselves, where they are, how hard they are pushing and the tone they are getting from hearing themselves naturally.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Since striking out on his own Harry has proven himself a genuine musical force and not just another pretty boy band face. He is also poised and likeable just being himself on camera. Didn't want to like him at first but at this point I really have to give him props. And yeah,his drummer is really top notch. She sings too. Lots of talent in that little studio. Sidetrack:Besides Nilsson and Styles can anyone think of another rockstar named Harry?

Pretty sure the band is:

Sarah Jones -- drums

Naomi Ludlow (Ny Oh) -- keys stage right

Charlotte Clark -- keys stage left

Adam Pendergast -- bass

Mitch Rowland -- guitar

(Many on backing vocals as well I believe.)

There are some great interviews with Sarah Jones available. Haven't read up on the others.

-Z-

I call No Bitching about a band that has two keyboard players and one guitar player! :cop:;)

Seriously, nice performance. Like many others, I noted Styles was a standout from that group he was in and thought he'd be an interesting solo artist. He might be the next JT, if he isn't already.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI