Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The debate - case vs bag

Hello,

I'm pretty close to getting a Nord Stage 3 compact after selling my electro. Going to go one keyboard only for most gigs.

My dealer (that sounds weird) offered a bundled deal with two bags/cases:

Nord gig bag

SKB 3i-5014-TKBD flight case

I've owned the Nord bag for the electro and it was very nice...not much protection on the corners and of course you wouldn't want to go stacking things on it. It's very light and even has backpack straps.

The SKB is obviously more protective, I love the movable foam blocks. I like that it doesn't say "Nord" on it and isn't red. I DON'T like that it is 20 pounds by itself; the Stage being 22, that's 42 total. Not outrageous, but not as nice as the bag! It does have wheels though, and I have a rock-n-roller cart (that I was thinking I'd no longer be needing!)

I only do local gigs where I pack my own car. We average one gig per weekend. So really the main benefit of the flight case would be those doorway knocks or accidental bumps getting to the stage.

I've never bought a keyboard this expensive, leaning toward the hard case despite the weight. I'm thinking also that any gig bag over time is likely to fray, whereas the case should be good for a long, long time.

I've also read about the Fusion bags and can get the Keyboard 06 bag from elsewhere for about what I'd pay for the Nord bag.

The hard case is about 100 bucks more in the offer I got, both are pretty good deals money-wise.

Interested in thoughts, pros and cons.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a stage 2 and both padded bag and hard case.

I use the bag 95% of the time. I find it"s just too heavy to navigate with a hard case. Yes, I curse each time I bump the padded bag on a staircase or doorframe but so far I"ve been lucky and have caused no damage, about four years in.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

I've never had the full flight case, but I have used the Gator semi-rigid case with wheels. Now I'm using the Gator gig bag for my Yamaha.

I never fly with it, and I'm the only one that I will allow to move it. The bag has enough padding to protect it from minor dings.

For my SK-2 I have the Hammond case, which is just a tight fitting gig bag.

I'm not sure I would go back to the semi-rigid, or go to a full flight case. Just too heavy. I found I was banging it more loading and unloading with the semi-rigid case because of the added weight.

I've only had damage to my boards twice while in cases, and once was with the semi-rigid, and someone else helping.

I was playing a Korg SP200 at the time, and had the Gator case for it. We played a gig in Cocoa Beach, and I had help moving my gear. The next day I went to the club we were playing early to set up, and the A & B right below middle C had been broken. I had to make a panic run to Walmart to get some superglue to do a temporary fix so I could play it.

So, no one else touches my boards.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I use a padded bag for my keys for short distance gigs where they are transported by me.

For longer distance gigs, overnight gigs, and gigs where we load the Uhaul, my keys go in hard shell cases.

For bags, I am partial to the Gator GKB series (not GKBE).

tough material, and the internal straps that add another layer of padding.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I use a padded bag for my keys for short distance gigs where they are transported by me.

For bags, I am partial to the Gator GKB series (not GKBE).

tough material, and the internal straps that add another layer of padding.

That's what I'm using for my Yamaha. I like the padding that the internal hold down straps add. They're the same straps used in the semi-rigid

Willie Dixon

Yeah, that's no perfect answer to that one. When I get convinced, very rarely to bring some gear out, just locally, in my own vehicle or possibly split a ride with somebody, I just go with soft cases plenty of padding. Not the super thin ones, but still soft, lightweight. For piano, I still use a Yamaha bag, had it for years, decades, it's not frayed, no broken zippers, none of that.

I don't know the Nord case: sounds a little thinner, if I'm remembering stuff people have said a while back. Could probably be OK if you're not banging it up or any of that. I like the fabric bags for practicality, weight, but as you know there's different "grades" of them out there.

You all are surprising me a bit, thought for sure the hard case was going to be recommended :D Love getting some perspectives! I certainly will not be flying with this, and can't imagine any circumstance where someone else would be handling my keyboard.

The Nord bag is actually better than other bags I've had...pretty thick and plush, and it's an exact fit. It's way better than the Yamaha Modx bag I got, which is almost shapeless. The Nord has some structure to it. However, I've read that the fusion bags are even more protective, as they have extra padding at the corners. They may have changed over the years as well, most of the bad reviews I came across were from a few years back.

My Nord gig bag has lasted 5-6 years. Electro is still like new, apart from some key contacts. I'd definitely get another one over a hardcase.

I've had three of them. One came & went with an Electro 73, then got another with a Stage 73. That one had a zipper issue after a couple of years, so I bought another. All tolled the two bags lasted 15 years. The bags are great for home gigs, but if you fly, they're perfect for padding and portability inside a Pelican 1750. The weight of the Electro/Stage + Nord Bag + Pelican Case = 50lb which is your maximum weight before an airline charges you extra.

Here for the gear.

I've been gigging for several decades; always used soft cases. My stage piano was 72 pounds and it lived in a soft case. I'm careful with keyboards, always carrying them myself. I don't bang them around and found that the soft case works OK. If you need to fly then you need to think about hard case; otherwise using care a soft case adds no weight, costs much less and has more flexibility when moving in and out of vehicles.

When I purchased my Ensoniq TS-12 (used) it came with a flight case. That case was about 30 pounds. The TS-12 was in the 50's itself so the total was in the 80's, way too much weight. I also had issues getting it in the car; I used it twice and then I just let it sit in the basement. I bought a soft case instead. When I sold the TS-12 I then sold the hard case as well. It would have been a good case if I were flying to gigs, but that's not my bag. Even when I was doing regional gigs I'd drive; sometime up to 5-6 hours. Still would use the soft case. I also am not a fan of soft cases with "wheels". I try to be very careful carrying the keyboards; I feel that the wheels still introduce vibration and shaking that can't possibly be good for a keyboard, so I carefully carry the keyboard in the soft case.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Bag it and forget it. The Nord gig bag is great, lots of padding over the knobby area. The Compact is not like a big DP that you'll have to swing around potentially banging into corners. Put it on your back, it won't bang anything.

If other people were handling it for you, I'd think twice about this decision. If it's just you and your vehicle, don't think twice, it's alright.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Like the others, I use the Nord soft bag for local gigs and rehearsals. For road travel it"s either in an older, large SKB, or more recently I just put the soft case inside a Pelican hard case. I do the same for my other boards- shuffling between soft and hard cases.

You all have convinced me.

I'll compare and contrast some of the bags mentioned with the nord and the fusion.

And with the extra "found" money (which of course is silly as I could pocket the difference!) I may pick up a radial stereo di. I have the key largo but for one keyboard gigs I don't need a mixer.

(and shout out to Radial...I somehow have lost a couple of the washers that go on the jacks of the key largo--and others seemed loose--so they are sending me a couple. I contacted them just to see where I might get more, they were very friendly and helpful.)

Yet another vote in support of the bags. Hard cases are a pain (sometimes literally) for local playing, not only because of what they do to your car and your fingers, but also because of how much harder they are to store once you"re at the gig.

I use a Nord bag and a Mono. I don"t like advertising my expensive keyboard, but the Nord case is snug and versatile. Like the good Dr. above, it does come with bonus curse words when it hits a corner, but that"s nothing compared to being able to strap it on my back and transport everything easily.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

You all have convinced me.

I'll compare and contrast some of the bags mentioned with the nord and the fusion.

And with the extra "found" money (which of course is silly as I could pocket the difference!) I may pick up a radial stereo di. I have the key largo but for one keyboard gigs I don't need a mixer.

(and shout out to Radial...I somehow have lost a couple of the washers that go on the jacks of the key largo--and others seemed loose--so they are sending me a couple. I contacted them just to see where I might get more, they were very friendly and helpful.)

I recommend 'bagging it' as well.

You'd mentioned the Fusion 6 soft case initially. The Fusion case is one of best I've ever had. A couple years back I was trying find a tight, compact soft case for a Stage 3,76. The case I first used was a Gator ProGo. Those are great for a couple of my other 'boards, but the closest fit for the NS3, 76 was still too large, externally; the interior straps helped a lot, but it still felt like I was slogging a railroad tie around hallways and staircases. So I eventually ended up with a Fusion Keyboard 7; it fits a Stage 3, 76 perfectly. Because the US distributor was experiencing a shortage, I was able to secure the case directly from Fusion, based in the UK. The folks there are great, and the company does make a strong product.

For a secure, very protective soft case, I recommend checking the measurements of the Stage 3 Compact with one of Gator ProGo or Fusion Keyboard models. Can't go wrong either way.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Just to put down some options based on what I was considering and some mentioned. I've checked dimensions and these all appear they will fit. Maybe this will help someone else down the road!

----

Nord bag (of course it will fit!) Don't like the advertising but nice bag. 155 as part of the bundle.

Gator GKB-61 - a bit roomy, can add corner extra foam due to that though if I want. Deeper(taller if carrying) than I'd like. This is the cheapest option at about 110 (only checked sweetwater).

Gator pro-go 61 - really nice-looking bag, lots of storage. Tighter fit on the side than the one above, still a bit deeper than I'd like. Unfortunately the slim version is not wide enough. This is around 200 bucks.

Fusion Keyboard 06 - another really nice bag. not light at 8 pounds, but it looks to have the most padding. Love the extra interior foam blocks for the corners. Size is about perfect considering those blocks are in there. It has straps and I like that they go over a "blanket" to help avoid hurting the keys, and the blanket is extra padding. The backpack straps look heavy duty. Around the same price (b&h video) as what I'd get the nord bag for, it's 165 bucks.

----

Honestly from what I have read and from reviews, that fusion bag looks really nice. They all look nice actually and I'm sure they are all worthy contenders.

Edit: Ok, Alan posted while I was typing this...think that IF I get the stage I'll go with that fusion bag.

I have a Fusion bag for my Mojo 61 and a Nord bag for my Stage 2. I like both very much, although the fabric on the Fusion has a couple of small tears and one of the Nord bag zippers is sticky. Any damage to either board in the last 3 years of weekly gigging has happened when they were outside the bags.

Moe

---

I"ll be the lone voice of dissent. I always use hard cases except when transporting my 'boards from home to rehearsal room. I like the stackability, the durability and others often carry my cases for me. Don"t get me wrong I also carry others" stuff for them, too!

If it's only local and transport it in your car? Bag, every time.

This for me too.

Back when we played in a 500 mile radius with a crew and a truck it was hard cases for everything. Now it"s me and my car, and I use the Nord soft bag which I find very durable and protective.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Another thought in the case/bag comparison.

Sometimes I move my gear in our Kia Soul.

When I used the Gator semi rigid case for my Yamaha MM8, I had to place it in the center of the car, with one end sitting on the center arm rest. It would actually be a bit in the way to drive.

With the bag, I can just move the passenger seat forward, and place it on the side. Makes for more room for everything else, and does not hinder driving. Especially now since I use a trunk for all my audio cables, power cables, extension cords, personal monitor, and pedals

I went to the bag after the zipper stuck on the semi-rigid case, and I had to literally cut the case to get the keyboard out for a gig.

Willie Dixon

Get the bag.

Check craigslist and your local thrift stores and find a high quality folding luggage dolly for dimes on the dollar.

Get a couple of bungies. Strap the bag to the dolly and roll your board to your gigs.

Make sure to get at least 4" diameter wheels and check all function of the luggage dolly.

I've moved a couple of small amps and a gig bag packed with goodies on mine, all in one trip.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Another vote for the Nord gig bag here. I have one for an Electro 5 73, I have used it to haul that keyboard all over NYC for 4-5 years with no issues, and the case still looks practically new.

I also second the recommendation to get a folding cart - with >= 4" pneumatic wheels. I have one that I use when I take the subway to gigs - I can load a small X-stand, my Nord 73, AND a SpaceStation amp on that and get to many gigs without even needing the car.

I already have a rock-n-roller cart (got a good deal on it, wish I'd gotten one years before.)

I didn't get the big inflated wheels, and normally the smaller wheels are fine...but occasionally we get gravel lots to park in. Almost never do we have to cut across grass, I think resort gigs is more where you see this. The one time we did was at a resort. Anyway, we had a sub bass player and he had a RnR cart with great big solid wheels and my cart felt inadequate next to it :D Might be a worthwhile upgrade.

All that said--I think I won't need it, especially with a soft case. Backpack to hold cables and pedals; keyboard stand (either my Z, just the first tier, or I may buy my buddy's really light Stay stand. I use a spider pro and it's pretty heavy, might keep using it though).

The biggest pain is my battery UPS that I started bringing out when I had some power issues at a few places. It claims to do voltage regulation, though at 60 bucks I don't know about that. It did pass with flying colors at the most notorious place around here where I've had three different keyboards act up over the years we have played there, and of course now if we get a power blip I stay up. BUT--that thing is really heavy!

I have a hand truck that doubles as a cart. I'll put my trunk, amp, and keyboard stand case on there. Then I put the Yamaha on top of that. I'll put the Hammond on top of the Yamaha, and it rides there very nicely using the bag. My other stand bag, bench, and mixer sit on top of that.

One trip.

As long as I'm gentle loading the cart, I have no problems with using the bag.

With the Semi Rigid, there was a balance issue, as half of the Yamaha hung out front, and it could tip off the front.

Don't have that problem with the bag

I've been considering the Rock n roller cart with the large wheels. It will extend out so the long keyboard would ride better. Plus we have a couple gigs where the small casters on the front on my current cart will dig in. Main wheels are pneumatic. (Just had to air them up today. Going into the WFIT studio this evening for the Space Coast Harley Davidson All American Band rehearsal, and possible recording session.)

Willie Dixon

Harbor Freight sells the Apache 9800 rifle case which is similar to the Pelican 1750 and will fit some 73-key boards. The price is 149.99 and the HF coupon knocks off 20%. Plano makes several cases that may work some of which cost less than the Apache 9800. Also Lauraland rifle cases come in a variety of sizes which may be suitable for Keyboards. Plano and Lauraland have models with wheels.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact