Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer asking for user input on development of free DAW

It"s now official. We will be creating our own Music Tribe DAW.

This is a massive undertaking, which will take at least 18 months and for that purpose we have now assembled a large development team.

Our Music Tribe DAW will also include samples and VST"s plus connections to third party VST"s. Our goal is to include the very best features available, including multiple user interfaces for both recording and DJ.

We would love to develop this together with you and hence encourage you to share your preferred platforms and features so we can consider your input. Our opportunity is that we have no legacy platform to maintain, which will allow us to think 'blue sky' and combine the 'best of all worlds'.

Best of all, the DAW will be FREE of charge!

https://www.musictech.net/news/behringer-has-started-development-for-a-new-daw/

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. I'm sure they can get something "Garage Band" like up and going quickly. But anyone doing serious production depends on dozens of features in Logic/Cubase/Pro Tools that really don't exist in any other than the top three DAWs. I know there's lots of others, and that they all sound the same. But there are real workflow differences.

Well since Roland doesn"t own Cakewalk anymore will they still ripoff Sonar. They like to copy Roland products.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Exactly. I'm sure they can get something "Garage Band" like up and going quickly. But anyone doing serious production depends on dozens of features in Logic/Cubase/Pro Tools that really don't exist in any other than the top three DAWs. I know there's lots of others, and that they all sound the same. But there are real workflow differences.

Even if they'll end up with "just" / "only" a Garage Band clone (i.e.: basic DAW with easy workflow and instruments included) that runs on Windows, it will be a huge game-changer for a vast number of non-pro musicians, music enthusiast, amateur.

My band: www.tupamaros.it - Our music: https://tupamaros-it.bandcamp.com/

Galanti Accordion + Voicelive Play | Roland FA-07 | GSI Gemini Rack | MIDI Drawbars controller (custom made) | IK Multimedia UNO Synth Pro 

I will be interesting to see what they come up with. As KuruPrionz alluded it will be a couple of years, 18 months for a first beta maybe if they are really lucky and really good. The quality of the software will depend solely on the quality of the team he hired. So anything is possible.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I will be interesting to see what they come up with. As KuruPrionz alluded it will be a couple of years, 18 months for a first beta maybe if they are really lucky and really good. The quality of the software will depend solely on the quality of the team he hired. So anything is possible.

I understand the company now is so successful and UB is so rich, he will pay the most excellent team to get it realiized and satisfying his idealism.

He bought enough knowledge by aquireing several top pro hardware companies meanwhile and will continue in the software department for sure.

With the right and highly motivated team, things will go much faster also in the sense of reverse engineering of already existing applications.

It´s not like inventing the wheel.

All the code libraries already exist and there´s a lot of good open source stuff out there.

And as a beginner, he won´t have to deal w/ endless lines of old code which needs to be replaced for upgrades and he can jump on MIDI 2 immediatedly and so on.

Most of the coder teams of freeware/ donationware software like Ardour and such are small,- even the Cockos Reaper team is and Reaper isn´t freeware at all.

Music Tribe budget is a completely different league.

I guess only Apple and Yamaha/Steinberg play in this league too.

A.C.

Even if they'll end up with "just" / "only" a Garage Band clone (i.e.: basic DAW with easy workflow and instruments included) that runs on Windows, it will be a huge game-changer for a vast number of non-pro musicians, music enthusiast, amateur.

A solid, free DAW already exists and has been available for a few years now.

Yes, I realize that they don't have Behringer's resources or marketing and got off to a rocky start with Mackie not supporting it well. Still, if you want to record and your budget is limited, it's hard to go wrong with Tracktion 7 Free.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/t7-daw

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

The price is good.

Anyway, 18 months development time, so late 2022. Keep what you have for now. ;)

For now...and then. Whether you currently pay for upgrades or not switching DAWs is kind of a big deal. It's one thing when you're forced to or just really unhappy with your current choice. Otherwise it's a huge investment in time and almost certain frustration.

Stick with what you have. Except for the very few no one else cares what you use.

The price is good.

Anyway, 18 months development time, so late 2022. Keep what you have for now. ;)

For now...and then. Whether you currently pay for upgrades or not switching DAWs is kind of a big deal. It's one thing when you're forced to or just really unhappy with your current choice. Otherwise it's a huge investment in time and almost certain frustration.

Stick with what you have. Except for the very few no one else cares what you use.

^^^ This X 100 ^^^

I started with MOTU DP (version 4 or so) back when it looked like hippies designed it. Every possible thing was there, the pop-up palettes were different sizes and formats and always in the way.

I didn't enjoy using it and got very little done with it. Then I bought a Mackie interface and it came with a free version of Tracktion. I found it much easier to use and much less cluttered.

So I've stayed there, waiting now for Waveform 11 to be available.

I looked at Presonus Studio One but I just don't want to do the learning curve when I am already getting things done.

As Markyboard says, I'll switch if I am forced to but otherwise I'll just stay here.

Garage band for free DAW is still quite powerful. Add mainstage and you have all the logic instruments. I regularly begin simple projects in Garage Band and if I find I need logic, I can export it quite easily. Since the interface is very nearly identical, switching mid project is easy.

For the first couple years of delving into recording Garage Band was all I used. I learned a lot with a simple simple setup of Garage Band and iZotope plugins. Later on I bought more and more tools hardware and switched to Logic. Home studios can become a money pit.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I agree, though I'd add "MOTU Digital Performer" to that short list. I find it more feature-deep than Logic, and better connected with the fundamentals of DAWs (being one of the very first). But all 4 are slightly different flavors of the same thing. That said, I rarely recommend DP as a person's first DAW (I started with ProTools). I love it and it's fantastic if you've got a solid background, but it can be a bit of a beast at first. I usually go tell people to start with Reaper, and come back in a few years once they've developed a feel for basic DAW workflow. It used to be that all studios would run Pro Tools, but have a copy of (Digital)Performer on hand for more complex midi stuff. Not so true any more, as I know many that do everything in DP, or Logic, or whatever, as they've all grown to encompass each other's strengths.

That said, the new kids are catching up pretty quickly.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Unless somehow they manage to come up with a genius idea, they're late to the game by 30 years or so.

Maybe you were just early to B's game by 30 years, otherwise known as...old. :nopity:

Or maybe all this time you thought Behringer made Cubase, PT, Logic...etc...etc.... all these years? ;)

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

A solid, free DAW already exists and has been available for a few years now.

[..]

it's hard to go wrong with Tracktion 7 Free.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/t7-daw

I never considered it, due to my mental laziness... I'll have to check it, thanks for the advice

My band: www.tupamaros.it - Our music: https://tupamaros-it.bandcamp.com/

Galanti Accordion + Voicelive Play | Roland FA-07 | GSI Gemini Rack | MIDI Drawbars controller (custom made) | IK Multimedia UNO Synth Pro 

What will be interesting is how they monetise this. The DAW platform is free and I cant imagine they are producing this from the goodness of their heart.

Music Tribe companies almost solely produce hardware.

Maybe their computer hardware will provide added features in the DAW? (a bit like apogee hardware can be controlled within Logic) or they will move to produce their own version of the UA ecosystem and make money through selling plugins tied to hardware which may only work in their DAW, or something like the X32 or WING consoles will integrate seamlessly into the mixing environment.

The market is pretty crowded for a "me too" product (even at free).

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage | Key Largo

Well since Roland doesn"t own Cakewalk anymore will they still ripoff Sonar. They like to copy Roland products.

Cakewalk went from Roland to Gibson and now Bandlab......

Cakewalk by Bandlab is already a FREE DAW Software and IMHO one of the best ! (I use it since 1993...)

But maybe the planet needs another DAW....not me!

;-)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

What will be interesting is how they monetise this. The DAW platform is free and I cant imagine they are producing this from the goodness of their heart.

Music Tribe companies almost solely produce hardware.

Maybe their computer hardware will provide added features in the DAW? (a bit like apogee hardware can be controlled within Logic) or they will move to produce their own version of the UA ecosystem and make money through selling plugins tied to hardware which may only work in their DAW, or something like the X32 or WING consoles will integrate seamlessly into the mixing environment.

The market is pretty crowded for a "me too" product (even at free).

Or Presonus, who sell both hardware and software and have integrated their hardware into their software. The Faderports set up easier and offer more options in Studio One than they do in other DAWs, just for one example.

Being a creature of comfort, I'll stick to Waveform. I know it pretty well and I am very comfortable with it.