Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP McCoy Tyner

Absolutely. From what I've read, there was a major backlash against what Trane et al were doing in the early 60s which led to the famous "anti-jazz" quote from the "critic" John Tynan.

I've been surfing the past few days listening to McCoy. This is a particularly nice video with a very lyrical solo â

[video:youtube]

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP, master. I actually saw him live something like 10 years ago, and he wasn"t looking good at all even back then - his playing wasn"t there, either, sad to say. :(

His 'sidemen' gigs with Coltrane and Joe Henderson are legendary, but I also loved the 'African modal sound' of his solo albums. Like the tune 'Man From Tanganyika' from one of my fav LPs of his, Tender Moments.

How could Gitler pan that solo on Avalon !! Did you hear that ?! Holy Mother of God ! And his solo on "Soul Eyes"... wtf are they hearing ?!

That's what I thought too.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

An interesting footnote: one of the most vocal and enthusiastic musicians about Tyner's influence of whom I'm aware is Bob Weir (guitar) of the Grateful Dead. Weir has often spoke of Tyner's chord voicing as unlocking his key as a rhythm guitarist to find space between the lead guitar of Jerry Garcia and, ironically, the Dead's keyboard player. MT has definitely left his legacy all over the music spectrum!

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/mccoy-tyner-dies-81/

The most meaningful thing I can say about McCoy is the story of the first time I ever heard him on a record. It was during my senior year in high school. I had this very hip English teacher who had hired my then-girlfriend to babysit her toddler one night, and had explicitly said it was okay if I came over and hung out too. So I was perusing the teacher's CD collection, and found her copy of "A Love Supreme," which I had heard about but hadn't yet actually heard. I put it on thinking it would be a suave and sophisticated selection of "music to make the most of rare time alone with your girlfriend when you're still in high school by." What happened instead was that I was so blown away by it that I ended up ignoring her completely, and just sitting there listening with my eyes bugging out and my mouth agape. Such is the power of that recording. And to this day I will defend that reaction as a wholly valid one.

Another legendary Jazz musician is gone. Thankfully, we have access to the repository of his work. RIP Mr. Tyner. Job well done.:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Dug him at the Half Note with Coltrane's band in 1963. Arrived there early for spaghetti and got to keep my front row seat. Every professional musician in the city was present including establishment mainstays like Skitch Henderson. What an experience!

I hear you Josh.

When i was at Art college and threw a party now and then. At three in the morning - in order to clear the house of hanger-oners I would put on Love Supreme - Id be digging it and people would drift off

Definitely a "Marmite" piece of music but it was Coltrane's intensity rather than McCoys that separated the men from the boys.

Mellow.

McCoy is so good looking and cool in the interview at the end - that's how I remember him.I saw him in about 2005 (?) he was very thin and gaunt.

Jazz is African in origin not American - bit of an alien concept back in 1975.

• 4 months later...

I've been listening to a lot of McCoy lately. I've owned Today and Tomorrow for many years but I am hearing it differently lately, and love every cut, especially Autumn Leaves. So much to learn from it. Lucky to of seen him a few times at the Regatta Bar in Boston.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I've been listening to a lot of McCoy lately. I've owned Today and Tomorrow for many years but I am hearing it differently lately, and love every cut, especially Autumn Leaves. So much to learn from it. Lucky to of seen him a few times at the Regatta Bar in Boston.

i

Found this gem on the internet. A thesis of the piano styles of McCoy on the song Autumn Leaves. It is in Finnish but at end of paper is the written out transcription of Autumn Leaves. Please note you can use Google translation to read thesis but examples are only in original document.

Thesis of McCoy Tyner piano style on Autumn Leaves

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251