Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP McCoy Tyner

From his official Facebook page:

It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of jazz legend, Alfred 'McCoy' Tyner.

McCoy was an inspired musician who devoted his life to his art, his family and his spirituality.

McCoy Tyner"s music and legacy will continue to inspire fans and future talent for generations to come.

The Tyner family is grateful for your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time, and respectfully requests that any inquiries be directed to info@algbrands.com

A giant has left us. RIP. :( :( :(

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm shocked...

I have seen him three times. One with his African quintet many years ago (with violin), one time with his trio and one more time heading a fantastic Latin jazz band. It was jaw dropping all times...

This guy was a gentle giant! a huge loss for music

RIP

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

My first influence. His work with Coltrane changed the jazz piano language. I wore out "The Real McCoy" and consider it a classic jazz record. His early Impulse records show off his bebop roots with a blowing concept that you could hear was going beyond, even in that style. A giant of jazz, RIP.

I'm so glad I got to see him years ago. As a kid, I used to listen to his playing on this Joe Henderson tune (along with so many other records) over and over again.

[video:youtube]

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

Was listening to Page One on repeat a couple days ago. Nobody plays 'Recorda Me' as nicely as it sounds on the original record. McCoy's solo is wonderful.

Dang!! RIP McCoy

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Here's a link to Ethan Iverson's great essay on McCoy and his impact and reception. I just reread the whole thing.

McCoy Tyner's Revolution

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

https://www.latimes.com/obituaries/story/2020-03-06/mccoy-tyner-john-coltrane-jazz-dead

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/06/arts/music/mccoy-tyner-dead.html

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/mccoy-tyner-dead-dies-jazz-pianist-1203526355/

https://www.stereogum.com/2075990/mccoy-tyner-dead-at-81/obit/

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/mccoy-tyner-jazz-pianist-dead-81-963903/

I saw him live, many times in different configurations. I didn't know he was left-handed; only the L.A. Times obit seems to mention this. Other obits say he played congas in his youth and that this was what led to his percussive playing style, but L.A. Times suggests the left-handedness contributed significantly to his signature style.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I have to chime in on this.....

The year was 1972. Some friends of mine and I drove to the Monterey Jazz Festival and we found out that the McCoy Tyner was also playing at the Keystone Corner in San Francisco.

We were just a bunch of kids from rural Oregon. The Keystone let us in - under age and there we were - up close. McCoy on piano, Sonny Fortune on reeds, Alphonze Mouzon on drums and Calvin Hill bass.

My God. It was the most powerful thing I ever heard, eclipsing any rock band or anything else I had ever witnessed . These guys played forcefully , holding nothing back. Fortune,Tyner, Mouzon. It was just out of this world.

It was an extension of what the Coltrane quartet was all about. Except it was different due what Mouzon and Tyner were doing rhythmically. The music was more eighth and sixteenth note based rather than the swinging approach that the Coltrane quartet used.

So...us little kids from Oregon got an adult portion of getting our minds blown. At the end of the set Mouzon actually approached our gang and asked us what the heck was going on. He asked if we were drinking and enjoying our orange juice!

Kind of the like the Austin High Gang stepping in on Louis Armstrong and King Oliver in the early days of Chicago jazz.

Only this time it was jazz on steroids. What a memory.

Double Bubble

You can hear a recording of the band I heard, probably on Youtube. The record that band recorded is called "Sahara".

Check out a track called "Ebony Queen". If someone wouldn't mind posting this..... you might find it interesting.

I have to admit I am not hearing anything like it lately.

Our regular reminder that we"ll all die some day. Even the best of us.

The recordings and legacy Turner leaves behind will be analysed by students and musicians for decades to come. The beauty of the music you make is that it stays long after you"re gone.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

From the LA Times obit..."he began taking piano lessons at 13, inspired by the fact that noted pianist Bud Powell and his younger brother Richie Powell, also a pianist, lived around the corner."

And "He first met Coltrane in 1957, when the saxophonist lived nearby and was playing with Miles Davis. I used to go to John"s house and sit on the porch and talk about music â about a lot of things that he eventually began to get into,' Tyner told Down Beat magazine. 'So I think theoretically I was sort of involved in his way of thinking quite early ... we coincided.'

Quite a neighborhood....

He defines the word "icon".

And the word 'titan'

I am lucky enough to have many colleagues who have played with him in his Big Band as well as small groups. The stories of his generosity and kindness among them are as paramount as those of his incalculable musical achievements.

I"ve seen him more times than I can count, up to 2017, when he played in duo with Joe Lovano at the Bobby Hutcherson Memorial Concert at St Pete"s. His normally robust bearing had become more frail, but the life force was still strong! He"d been sick for a while recently and had turned a corner back in 2008-9, but bounced back for a bit.

Truly, an era has ended. Not just with the last living connection to the 'Classic' John Coltrane Quartet, but with what he brought to the music!

It"s up to all of us who aspire to be practitioners of this music incorrectly monikered as 'Jazz' to follow his example as a musician and man.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Never thought I'd be reading this this morning.... RIP McCoy, Thank You!

Always hard to say goodbye...

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Great Iverson link. That Half Note 65 clip is awesome. His playing really stretched. Damn they're so few giants left. RIP.

It's all great but the 1965 -era Coltrane 4tet stuff is some of the heaviest music ever made imho. There are some amazing youtubes of the group at Antibes. Elvin is just unbelievable.

And just quick aside on that Iverson link, so pardon this derail â he shows a 2-star review of Herbie's "Speak Like A Child" â WTF? Some of those so-called "jazz critics" sure had their heads up their asses. I'm so thankful we still have Herbie and Chick and they're still making great music.

And just quick aside on that Iverson link, so pardon this derail â he shows a 2-star review of Herbie's "Speak Like A Child" â WTF? Some of those so-called "jazz critics" sure had their heads up their asses. I'm so thankful we still have Herbie and Chick and they're still making great music.

Just to ride your 'derail' for a moment, I too saw that and thought WTF. As well as many of the haughty judgements on McCoy"s playing. It sickens me to see those critics passing judgement on their playing in such a dismissive fashion. I guess change doesn"t get accepted very readily, and it sure looks bad seen from our perspective these many years later.

As it was so well put, there was piano before McCoy, and then after. Few pianists had such an influence on the vocabulary and direction of jazz. RIP.

Jerry