Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Journey lawsuit

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I posted that already but must have forgotten after doing it on FB. I got no remarks there, which surprised me. I don't claim to know if one party is right and the other is wrong in this case, but I find the whole situation sad, as they are local heroes, and I've met a couple of them and even borrowed one of Ross Valory's custom basses briefly (upon his approval) so I kind of think he and Steve are the two coolest guys but the press feed doesn't look good for them.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

'Enough' is relative and ever-shifting as it ties in with the drive to survive. Financially successful people typically have a drive that does not end at a set figure because it is the process that they live for not the goal. Like many of us each one of those guys is motivated to acquire what they can. Schon is the only consistent and founding member and Cain contributed to significant compositions of the greatest period of success for this band. Smith and Vallory are minor and replaceable, Journey without both has already existed. Journey can be Schon and Cain at this point in their history........whoever would have thought it possible without Steve Perry (speaking of the greater success of the Perry era material)? but with Pineta they pulled it off. That is, at least in this era of hybrid legacy bandom. Perhaps Smith and Vallory are only going for the greatest retirement opportunity within their grasp? It may have weighed out as the once in a lifetime risk worth taking. For everyone"s sake lets hope both sides present their cases with sufficient legal representation and a jury can decide the outcome without costing everyone all the potential retirement money.

Without a doubt it looks like Smith and Valory are looking to retire with retirement income from the guys that will continue as Journey. I'm sure on a personal level, they both feel they've contributed to the band's success but contractually they were hired players working for Nightnmare Productions/Journey. If the guys are savvy enough to make this play, then surely they were sacking a % of their earnings into retirement investments all these years?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Without a doubt it looks like Smith and Valory are looking to retire with retirement income from the guys that will continue as Journey. I'm sure on a personal level, they both feel they've contributed to the band's success but contractually they were hired players working for Nightnmare Productions/Journey. If the guys are savvy enough to make this play, then surely they were sacking a % of their earnings into retirement investments all these years?

I'd bet they were lured into this by lawyers who didn't know that the ownership of the journey name was controlled by a different entity that only schon and cain were controlling. That's the problem with powerplays. They almost always fail with caesar executing the praetorians.

FunMachine.

I can understand the firings, but additionally suing them for $10,000,000? Seems like unnecessarily piling on. Maybe there's additional info not in the article.

Given the typical gig Journey does these days, no one is going to miss these guys. Seriously.

I can understand the firings, but additionally suing them for $10,000,000? Seems like unnecessarily piling on. Maybe there's additional info not in the article.

Given the typical gig Journey does these days, no one is going to miss these guys. Seriously.

Not sure where you're coming from with regards to their typical gigs but there is no shortage of people paying top dollar to fill large venues.

I'm sure there will be significant expenses involved in legal fees, bad press, expense related to auditioning replacements, etc.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Steve Smith has been in and out of the band more times than I realized, and I had forgotten that Vallory was fired in the mid-80's but then came back in the mid-90's. Nevertheless he was there from the beginning and a pretty consistent member. And although Cain joined after the first few albums, he has been consistent since joining, and was certainly responsible for their biggest hits.

So I must reluctantly agree with the people who say that Schon and Cain are the most critical long-term members. It's a sad situation all around, but one that is common to successful acts. Many of them aren't good at managing money, or especially fame and ego. But should we pity them, when there are so many starving artists who struggle to survive their entire lives?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager