Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Mojo

I recognize this isn't the BIG news, as Dave Bryce suggested it wasn't. I get frustrated when I see these niche items consume his development time and resources.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the big news? Christ.

DB was careful to say that the black and white Mojo is NOT the big news. Love the Black & White, but of course I already have a Mojo 61. If these new products are dual-timbred, I may be tempted, though have to say I'm pretty happy combining Mojo and Korg Module Pro.

I recognize this isn't the BIG news, as Dave Bryce suggested it wasn't. I get frustrated when I see these niche items consume his development time and resources.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Nope, not my style. Those blue lights are going to be HELLA distracting during a show. The unit already suffers a bit from low-visibility. I put white tape along the inside edge to reflect the LEDs back on the controls. PLUS, has anyone caught that they removed the "chicken head" nobs for volume and drive? If anything, most people have been calling for all the nobs to be chicken-head style (if smaller).

This is a fun LE thing, but that's it. Next!

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Argh, was hoping it was info on the "desktop" whatever that actually is!

Not mojo-related, but Crumar-related: my buddy LOVEs vintage-looking stuff, to the point where he is thinking of ways to build a shell around his keyboards. He didn't know about the Crumar Seven, he's still cursing me about it days later (since now he has extreme GAS for the thing!) Like many of you, he used to go around with an actual rhodes so a lot of nostalgia there!

The Seven is the most satisfying Rhodes clone I have ever played.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Hi,

As a very happy Legend Live owner I think it's great news Mojo are releasing new products. Keeps my lot on their toes and if Crumar release a drawbar expander I might be interested.

As it will be the most current tonewheel sim, I expect the leslie sim, CV and overdrive to be very good, so fingers crossed.

Not mojo-related, but Crumar-related: my buddy LOVEs vintage-looking stuff, to the point where he is thinking of ways to build a shell around his keyboards. He didn't know about the Crumar Seven, he's still cursing me about it days later (since now he has extreme GAS for the thing!) Like many of you, he used to go around with an actual rhodes so a lot of nostalgia there!

Mitch, is your feeling about the Rhodes also true for the Wurly tones in the Seven?

If these new products are dual-timbred, I may be tempted,

DB teased me in the main Mojo thread by saying there could be an update coming for that.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Mitch, is your feeling about the Rhodes also true for the Wurly tones in the Seven?

The Wurly tones are fantastic, but, as I am sure you know, a Rhodes and Wurly feel much different. A Wurly has a much lighter action. There is something magical about the Fatar TP-100 (which I have always hated in other boards like the Nord Electro HP) and the Crumar Rhodes modeling. It feels and responds like the real thing. It's almost eerie and extremely inspirational to play.

[video:youtube]

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

There is something magical about the Fatar TP-100 (which I have always hated in other boards like the Nord Electro HP) and the Crumar Rhodes modeling. It feels and responds like the real thing. It's almost eerie and extremely inspirational to play.

Interesting. To my knowledge the current TP100LR features quite a few enhancements compared with earlier versions of the TP100 still used by Nord and other manufacurers. In addition to various velocity settings the TP100LR features a new key balance function for each single key which changes the response of each key and also sets the balance of the black/white keys. Obviously Crumar made good use of this unique feature when they configured the Crumar Seven.

More about that can be found here (scroll down to the bottom):

https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/sl-studio/#sleditor

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

You might decide the Mojo's action is better for wurly than the Seven's.

I think Crumar's wurly is excellent, very inspiring. I'm just not sure it stands out against the competing sampled/modeled alternatives the way the Crumar rhodes does. That may be more of a comment about how good some of the alternatives are than about any deficiency in the Crumar model.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

The Wurly tones are fantastic, but, as I am sure you know, a Rhodes and Wurly feel much different. A Wurly has a much lighter action. There is something magical about the Fatar TP-100 (which I have always hated in other boards like the Nord Electro HP) and the Crumar Rhodes modeling. It feels and responds like the real thing. It's almost eerie and extremely inspirational to play.

It feels amazing on the Rhodes modeling. Totally agree that its not great feeling for wurly or clav and less than not great for piano. Providing user adjustable velocity curves per engine might help significantly on this front.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Mitch,

What are your thoughts on the Rhodes in the Mojo 61?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Mitch,

What are your thoughts on the Rhodes in the Mojo 61?

It"s the exact same engine as in the Seven. The main difference is the organ action vs weighted action. It plays great on the Mojo61, and the wurly plays better because of the light action, but the weighted action of the Seven is what separates them in Rhodes playing experience.

That"s my take as well. The Mojo Rhodes really needs a weighted action to get all the nuances out of a note, while the Wurlitzer is easier to nail with less dynamics from a SW keybed.

Here for the gear.

Mitch, do you use the default Rhodes on your Mojo 61 or do you like using one of the other Rhodes models in the Mojo 61?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Mitch, do you use the default Rhodes on your Mojo 61 or do you like using one of the other Rhodes models in the Mojo 61?

I think I use the default but with some minor tweaks. I will look the next time I have it set up.

On my Gemini module I was using the Mark V rhodes until two weeks ago. There was something about getting that lush sound that I wasn't feeling. I switched to the Mark 1 rhodes and adjusted the type to 'sweet'; much better sounding rhodes (to me), meaning it was more to my liking in the lushness in the sound. I also removed most of (but not all) the digital reverb and added the Fender Twin and the Vox AC30 via a switch on my PC3. Really getting more of that classical sound that I was looking for.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• 4 weeks later...

They both look good. It"ll be interesting to see the pricing on these, particularly the desktop because it"s got some stiff competition in the shape of the IK Multimedia/Hammond B-3X. I was comparing the B-3X to VB3ii on my Mac over the weekend and I really think that B-3X has the edge. I particularly love that the B-3X sounds so great in mono which to my ears VB3ii (and the Mojo 61 when I had it) never really has, particularly with the Leslie on Fast.

Cheers

John

Nord Electro 6D 61, Wurlitzer EP200A, Neo Mini Vent, EV ZLX12P, QSC CP8.

Official pages with specs

https://www.crumar.it/?a=showproduct&b=39

https://www.crumar.it/?a=showproduct&b=38

Nice news. The Classic looks so cool with the all-wood construction also for the top and back.

Being DSP-based it looks like a dual-manual Mojo61, more than a Mojo follow-up.

First-look disappointments: it inherits from the 61 only 2 presets per manual and lack of 11-pin Leslie connector. I must also say that I don't like Crumar's penchant for having LED-illuminated things everywhere: from the knobs on the Seven to the buttons on the Classic, and please...illuminated logos? Omg. Apart from the "christmas tree" effect, I think it makes it hard to use the instrument on dark stages, those bright lights can be quite blinding and distracting.

Still, I'm so happy to see the news with all that Italy is going through. I don't expect this to enter production or ship anytime soon (the factory is closed with no timetable for reopening), but still even a simple web page with a new product announcement is great news in these times!

They both look good. It"ll be interesting to see the pricing on these, particularly the desktop because it"s got some stiff competition in the shape of the IK Multimedia/Hammond B-3X. I was comparing the B-3X to VB3ii on my Mac over the weekend and I really think that B-3X has the edge. I particularly love that the B-3X sounds so great in mono which to my ears VB3ii (and the Mojo 61 when I had it) never really has, particularly with the Leslie on Fast.

Cheers

John

Yeah, I think it's a really interesting question when you consider the B-3X on iPad versus the Mojo and Legend modules. Soundwise, I think reasonable minds can differ. They're close enough that the choice for most will come down to the physical form of iPad v hardware, small v smaller, price difference, but probably most importantly real drawbars versus virtual.

Personally, I might give B-3X the edge soundwise, but physical drawbars might trump that small difference depending on the playing context.

As for Mojo versus Legend, that's easier for me. I prefer the Crumar sound, and for me the ability to set Leslie tremolo to momentary is huge. Only Crumar has that. Add in the smaller Crumar module footprint and the choice is easy.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Is Crumar still a 2-man company, or have they grown and hired up by now? I know the original Mojo was announced around 2012 and has released a range of Crumar (and GSI) products.

Have they ever really scaled up this company and hired people to run the business, operations and support, is it still basically Guido doing this as a solo operation? I'm not in the market but you do like to see a steady growth trajectory and a real company behind a product.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Well, I won't be replacing my new XT anytime soon (lord knows it's been helping to get me through quarantine), but the Classic sure is sexy. The additional knobs, percussion "tabs" instead of Prophet-style buttons, and the flat top definitely would have made this my choice if it were on the market last summer. Best of luck to Crumar with the new line!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.