dB

Re: Let's see your studios!
Dave Bryce #3029880 02/20/20 12:22 AM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OK, I want one of those also. smile

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
davedoerfler #3029886 02/20/20 12:58 AM
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by davedoerfler
I want one of those Focusrite Mic Pre's. cheers
javascript:quickReply(3029870,1,0)

Loookeee Ma!!! I has somehow inspired gear envy!!!! :- D

I like the Focusrite, it is another flavor that I didn't have. The Quantum and FMR preamps sound nice, have good dynamic range and full response but pretty much zero character.
The Focusrite has character and I like it. My first choice for micing vocals (not that I have many options!).
Bass sounds fantastic through the DI, I've had to improve my technique as it is now under the microscope.

At the same time, what imbecile designed the enclosure? I haven't opened it up to look but it isn't that heavy and I bet there is lots of empty space inside.
It is somehow 2 1/2 rack spaces tall and the handle seems pretty stupid to me, you gonna just carry it around by the handle from place to place?
I forgive it because I like the sound and I got a deal on craiglist - $120 and a Boss DD-5 (found at Goodwill for $30) and Digitech Luxe (bought new, too much, way cheaper used now).

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Ronan C Murphy #3029965 02/20/20 06:42 PM
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
But wait, there is more. This is MY studio. I mostly do not have and do not seek clients. I have too many projects already and I want to record my own songs.
If I were not a songwriter I doubt I would have a studio at all.

In my mind, the studio is a workplace, a home for creativity. The DAW is my canvas and my voice, instruments and microphones are my brushes. I don't have a photo of my voice. I have friends who are amazing singers, I am not at that level but I can tell my stories and one of my songs is the most requested song in the band I play in (Lead guitar, Second vocalist).

I've covered most of my mics in this thread, it would be great to have more posts on there - http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3027793/mics-you-i-own-whats-good#Post3027793
I have all sorts of plug-ins, everybody does. Maybe we like different ones for different reasons, it's a rabbit hole and one of my feet is stuck already so no point in going deeper.

My prize percussion tool is a Korg Wavedrum Global. I can use it anytime night or day without disturbing neighbors. It is very expressive and sounds amazing. I also have a Roland Handsonic, the first one with the ribbon controllers. I have a box of thrift store find percussion goodies, frogs, bells, croakers, shakers etc. I also have 3 "beginners" snares in different sizes, a single headed rack tom and a double headed floor tom.
I want a hi hat stand with decent cymbals but otherwise I am covered.

Above all else, I am a guitarist. I started on bass and still love to play it. Attached are photos with brief descriptions of guitars/basses I am currently using to record. I have a few projects going but will only list functional instruments. I will make a second post with one more photo.

1st photo. I have 2 older Rainsong guitars - 100% graphite, Woodenville made and they have the specially tapered tops for best tone. OM-1000 and WS-3000 12 string. They both sound amazing.
3rd from left is The Diddley Bass. Recently converted to fretless and tuned BEAD. I stood next to Bo Diddley and played bass for a 2-1/2 hour show, we were his pickup band for one night. It is a parts build.
4th from left is a Tele I built 3 years ago. The neck has been mine for 1,000s of gigs. Warmoth from the 80's. I put a mount for Fishman Triple Play on it

2nd photo. My favorite electric guitar. Recent build, very wide and thick Warmoth neck, super jumbo frets and scalloped by yours truly. 2 EMG SA pickups, a 3 way switch and an SPC mid boost. Incredibly expressive once I got used to the scaloping.
Bell banjo kit, a Boucher pre-Civil War copy. I added a thick walnut fingerboard to lower the action. I also put vintage Schaller tuners on it. Banjo "purists" would consider it an abomination. I don't care, I like it.
Peavey Fury bass from the mid 80's. I put an EMG Pa pickup and the big heavy vintage Schaller tuners on it, otherwise it is stock. EADG tuning and roundwound strings. Great for gigs and studio.
Yamaha acoustic electric nylon string guitar. I adjusted the action, the rest is stock. Another color/flavor, I love it.

Attached Files
Guitars_1.jpg (380.11 KB, 145 downloads)
Guitars 2.jpg (347.76 KB, 143 downloads)

KuruPrionz #3029968 02/20/20 06:55 PM
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
One more photo of my "brushes".

86 Gibson ES-335 Studio model I bought used in 1988. I proceeded to improve it without any regard for future value. It has more than earned it's keep, lots of gigs behind it. Sperzel locking tuners, EMG pickups, super Jumbo frets, rare Schector Tri-Lock bridge that I further modified by bolting it to the body, custom plexiglass pickguard painted copper metallic from underneath for that "Gretsch" look. Great player with great tone.

Butchered Framus 8 string lap steel. My brother had this, a double neck. I converted (perverted?) it into 2 single necks and customized mine a bit. EMG passiv 8 string guitar pickup and the bridge is a thick walled deep socket I got at a pawn shop for fifty cents. Sustain is amazing, this is really fun with my E-Bow.

Requinto found at Goodwill for $15. Solid wood top, intonation is good, far and away the most "cheerful" sounding guitar I own.

"Danni Mayo" - a recent eBay score. I used to lust for the Danelectro Silvertone guitars in the Sears catalog because they looked cool and were inexpensive and I KNEW that Mom and Dad could get me one. They didn't, 4 kids and bills. 1958 U2, in nice condition would be worth a few bucks. Plays great, needs a couple of frets replaced. Despite the "smeared mayonnaise" paint job, somebody LOVED this one, the wear on the fingerboard is rarely seen this deep and in so many places. Has that amazing lipstick pickup tone but you have to find your null angle to record with it.

Edited to add - I have a few different guitar amps, mostly for gigging. I do have a couple of clones - Fender 5D3 (mid 50's tweed deluxe) built on a Hammond organ chassis with jumpered channels and Vox AC15 Top Cut clone built on vintage hi-fi chassis. These are cool and all but since I have a Tech 21 Tri-AC and NI Guitar Rig - IK Amplitube plugins I am questioning the need for the amps.

Pictured in my studio shots are a first version X-Keys 25 and Akai MPK 25. I dabble with them, not a good keyboard player. I have friends who play well. I have a Sharper Images Saxxy Kazoo Synthesizer that is good fun and can create insane sounds, I got an 1/8" stereo Y to 2 1/4" mono plugs cable so I can go direct and spare the neighors (and assumptions that I might be killing animals in my condo!!!!).

I also have tuneable bongos, capos, slides, an Ebow and some previously unmentioned horrible mics, like an old mic from a Japanese tape recorder and a Heil HP10 ham radio mic that has a built in HPF switchable from 300 to 600 hz. Sound samples online are pretty evil. Just got a 4 conductor XLR for that so will be wiring/firing it up soon. As always, a work in progress. Cheers, Kuru

Attached Files
Guitars_3.jpg (375.6 KB, 145 downloads)
Last edited by KuruPrionz; 02/20/20 08:45 PM. Reason: Other fun stuffs...

Dave Bryce #3031551 03/04/20 05:13 AM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Dave Bryce

Where’s the A100? idk

found it, dB, hiding under the Hohner E7 in the garage. laugh

this is where I re live my youth. smile

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Ronan C Murphy #3031906 03/06/20 05:07 AM
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Now that’s what I’m talking about. rocker

dB

Dave Bryce #3031907 03/06/20 05:11 AM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
thanks blush

Ronan C Murphy #3038529 04/13/20 11:21 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
As seen on Keyboard Corner! laugh

Attached Files
IMG_4382.jpg (130.25 KB, 119 downloads)

"I had to thank old Miss Mort for schooling a failure"
Website
FacePlace
Mike
Ronan C Murphy #3041324 04/30/20 04:27 AM
I was going to post a couple of pictures of my "studio," but only the BBCode showed up. Anyone know why? (BTW, the Forum Help link is broken.)

Ronan C Murphy #3041392 04/30/20 04:19 PM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Hey Pat, when you post "use full editor". Bottom left, you will see "attachment manager". You can use that to attach photos. Other option is to use a hosting website. I use Imageshack, not affiliated, it's just what I use

davedoerfler #3041429 04/30/20 06:54 PM
Thanks, Dave. I used the full editor, and linked to a photo URL (I tried both Dropbox and my own website), but all I got was [img]https://<link_to_photo>[/img]. I was wondering if I needed "reputation points" or something to be allowed to post images. I've seen similar restrictions on other forums. I'll see if the attachment works for m.

Pat Waara #3041435 04/30/20 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Pat Waara
Thanks, Dave. I used the full editor, and linked to a photo URL

I asked for the "Full editor" to be the default setting (or something we could make the default in our individual profile settings), but it's still something you need to know about. If you click on the icon above the post you're typing that looks like a globe with a paper clip under it, you'll get a dialog box asking for the URL where your picture is, and then it will ask for text, for example "my studio," that's embedded in the message, surrounded by the ,,,, codes.

If you use the Attachment Manager, it will invite you to upload the file (the picture, presumably) and it will put a thumbnail of it at the end of your post . When the reader clicks on that thumbnail, it expands. And it doesn't have to be an image file. For example, I recently made a post in the thread about the UA Luna DAW about a DAW named Luna from the last century that wasn't too far of in concept from Universal's, and that was a PDF of a portion of an article in Sound on Sound reviewing several free DAWs.

You gotta imagine what's in the non-existant manual.

Ronan C Murphy #3041492 05/01/20 12:48 AM
Ok, let's try this again...Some photos of my "studio." It's a stretch calling it a studio, but it is where I make my music--as well as my office.

[Linked Image from patwaaramusic.com]

Seemed to work this time. My images may have been too big. I forgot to resize before uploading last time.

Pat Waara #3041495 05/01/20 01:19 AM
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
Ok, let's try this again...Some photos of my "studio." It's a stretch calling it a studio, but it is where I make my music--as well as my office.

Looks like a fun place to create to me!!!

Hanging some guitars in proximity is one of my projects. Ubass is fun!
Is that a Heritage 535 hanging up next to the Gibson Tal Farlow? Both nice guitars!

KuruPrionz #3041500 05/01/20 02:07 AM
Indeed! That is a Heritage 535 next to the Tal. Good eyes. I also just picked up a Fender Stu Hamm Urge bass, which needs a spot on the wall. (Probably next to the Ibanez Musician--my first real guitar--nearly 40 years old now.)

Speaking of the Urge, it has active pickups and with the volume and treble up, it gets a lot of noise. I tried shielding with copper tape, but that didn't help too much. Anyone have any ideas on how to reduce the interference? Maybe this should be a separate post.

Pat Waara #3041509 05/01/20 02:29 AM
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
Indeed! That is a Heritage 535 next to the Tal. Good eyes. I also just picked up a Fender Stu Hamm Urge bass, which needs a spot on the wall. (Probably next to the Ibanez Musician--my first real guitar--nearly 40 years old now.)

Speaking of the Urge, it has active pickups and with the volume and treble up, it gets a lot of noise. I tried shielding with copper tape, but that didn't help too much. Anyone have any ideas on how to reduce the interference? Maybe this should be a separate post.

I've been a guitar tech for 40+ years, I recognize the Heritage headstock.

Which Urge bass is it? The original Urge, the Urge II or the Urge Standard - which was made in Mexico?
I don't think any of them had active pickups, they used a post-pickup active preamp if I am not mistaken. They did use the Noiseless pickups - those are pretty quiet.
First thing I'd do is clean the jack and check all connections.

Edited to add - and the battery connectors!!!!

Last edited by KuruPrionz; 05/01/20 02:31 AM. Reason: battery connectors

Ronan C Murphy #3041522 05/01/20 04:55 AM
I have the Urge Standard MIM. Yeah, I probably mispoke--it has an active preamp, not pickups. When I was in there I did see someone had extended the battery leads with less than stellar soldering and insulation. I thought there may be an issue there. It feels like RFI as the noise changes as I change the position of the bass, that is, as I move the bass around it changes the intensity of the noise. I have read several people who have similar issues with this bass. At moderate volume and with both pickups equally engaged, it is pretty quiet, but favor one of the pickups and turn up the treble, and it gets really noisy. If I have some time this weekend, I'll go back in and check things out in more detail. It does play really nicely, though.

Pat Waara #3041528 05/01/20 06:19 AM
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
I have the Urge Standard MIM. Yeah, I probably mispoke--it has an active preamp, not pickups. When I was in there I did see someone had extended the battery leads with less than stellar soldering and insulation. I thought there may be an issue there. It feels like RFI as the noise changes as I change the position of the bass, that is, as I move the bass around it changes the intensity of the noise. I have read several people who have similar issues with this bass. At moderate volume and with both pickups equally engaged, it is pretty quiet, but favor one of the pickups and turn up the treble, and it gets really noisy. If I have some time this weekend, I'll go back in and check things out in more detail. It does play really nicely, though.

Definately redo the battery connections, it's easy to make them pretty and then you won't have to think about them.

I just googled your bass. I know exactly what it going on.
The Standard has "standard" Jazz Bass pickups, not the Noiseless. Those are single coil and they hum. In a medium/small room with a huge monitor screen, they can hum a LOT. The pair is configured to make a humbucker circuit when they are both all the way up. Most singe coil pickups do have a "null" position, sometimes it is a very precise angle and that's just not as fun when getting a groove going.

I looked at one for sale on Reverb and it appears they used the same width pickups. That's a factor if you decide to replace them. Most J-Bass sets will come with one shorter length pickup for the neck. The bumps for the screws won't line up.

T\wo options. First, chose the best sounding pickup. Me, I'd go for the neck position. Loosen strings, unscrew the other pickup and see what is pushing the pickup upwards, probably foam. If it is easy to remove the foam with no damage, try that and lower the pickup down into the hole. It will still cancel hum but the tone will come more from the favorite. Or, remove the magnet on the bottom, usually glued on but they pry off easily. The coil will still cancel hum and then you WILL have just the sound of the neck pickup in the circuit.

Second option is what I would do. I've been able to try quite a few different ones. Since you have the active preamp EQ system maybe Bartolini, Nordstrom, DiMarzio DP123, all passive but hum-cancelling.
I use active, love the EMG PA and Jazz bridge combination, lots of EQ systems in the EMG world. Seymour makes 3 active sets with active EQ systems avaiable. I'm sure there are others.

Get quiet pickups and life will be splendid!!

Pat Waara #3041548 05/01/20 12:57 PM
Good work on the pictures, and a good collection of stuff.

Is that an SSL 2 interface below the monitor? How's it doing for you? This is the first one I've seen in natural habitat.

Ronan C Murphy #3041627 05/01/20 09:29 PM
Thanks for advice, Kuru. I'm going to try shielding the PUP and fixing the wiring next and see if that helps. I hesitate to buy new PUPs for it, mostly from a money perspective. I only paid $400 with a hard shell case, so I don't want to put too much into it, especially now. Perhaps in the future. As it stands, with the pickups balanced and the treble flat, it's pretty quiet and sounds good. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ronan C Murphy #3041628 05/01/20 09:36 PM
Hey Mike,

Yes, that is an SSL 2+. So far, I like it. It's an upgrade from my Roland Quad Capture (which for its price and age was a pretty decent interface). To my ears its a little more natural sounding than the QC, which was clean but sterile. The SSL 2+ works well with the SSL SiX, which I'm really liking a lot. The Superanalogue channel strips are great, and the routing flexibility is pretty impressive. Right now it's doing everything I need it to, and I'm not even using a lot of its capability.

Pat Waara #3041657 05/02/20 01:13 AM
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Yes, that is an SSL 2+. So far, I like it. It's an upgrade from my Roland Quad Capture (which for its price and age was a pretty decent interface). To my ears its a little more natural sounding than the QC, which was clean but sterile. The SSL 2+ works well with the SSL SiX, which I'm really liking a lot. The Superanalogue channel strips are great, and the routing flexibility is pretty impressive. Right now it's doing everything I need it to, and I'm not even using a lot of its capability.
Good to hear. thu

I'm planning on picking up a 2+ myself very shortly.

dB

Pat Waara #3041697 05/02/20 12:47 PM
I've been thinking of picking up an SSL 2+ myself. I'm fat with Firewire interfaces, but I realized that after lending one out, I don't have a halfway respectable USB interface for grab-and-go work when I don't want to use my Korg MR-1000 or one of my handheld recorders.

That little SSL mixer is pretty cute, too. It's not something that I need but I can see that it fits a number of different needs - some for people who understand what it is and does, and others for whom it just works for what they're doing.

Do you find good use for that "4K" button? I always thought that what made a "K" famous was the variation in EQ through the models, and not the mic preamp.

Pat Waara #3041783 05/03/20 03:58 AM
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
Thanks for advice, Kuru. I'm going to try shielding the PUP and fixing the wiring next and see if that helps. I hesitate to buy new PUPs for it, mostly from a money perspective. I only paid $400 with a hard shell case, so I don't want to put too much into it, especially now. Perhaps in the future. As it stands, with the pickups balanced and the treble flat, it's pretty quiet and sounds good. I'll let you know how it goes.

You're welcome, the things you want to try are reasonable, easy and very low cost if you don't already have the things you need.
If you like the way the bass plays and the sound when it's not plugged in, then it's a good bass, maybe even a keeper.
At that point, adding quieter pickups is just making everything great.

I have a Peavey Fury, older small script logo. Paid about $160 including shipping for it. I cleaned it up, set it up and it is a favorite. It gets to stay. So I put a set of EMG PA pickups in it, added a battery door on the back and a stray set of the vintage full sized cast Schaller tuners and I'll keep it. It's light, hangs well, sounds monstrous plugged in and the neck is slim and fast.

I can be a bit fickle with guitars sometimes but a good bass is a treasure - especially if you want to track with it.

Ronan C Murphy #3042052 05/04/20 09:40 PM
Dave and Mike,

I think you'll like the SSL 2+. For the price, it's hard to beat. I haven't used the 4K button other than to do some testing with it. I believe they attempted to simulate the sound of the 4K console using analog techniques. The next time I record vocals, I'll give it another shot.

1 member likes this: Dave Bryce
Ronan C Murphy #3042053 05/04/20 09:43 PM
Kuru,

Do you have a specific recommendation for replacement PUPs for Urge Standard? Because the two PUPs are the same size, the typical replacement PUPs don't fit, and the ones I've seen that do fit in the MIM Fender basses didn't look like noise canceling. Replacing these PUPs with single coil doesn't make any sense to me, so if you know of a set that are noise canceling and fit in a MIM Fender bass, please let me know.

Pat Waara #3042078 05/05/20 02:26 AM
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
Kuru,

Do you have a specific recommendation for replacement PUPs for Urge Standard? Because the two PUPs are the same size, the typical replacement PUPs don't fit, and the ones I've seen that do fit in the MIM Fender basses didn't look like noise canceling. Replacing these PUPs with single coil doesn't make any sense to me, so if you know of a set that are noise canceling and fit in a MIM Fender bass, please let me know.

First step would be to determine if they are, as I suspect, both standard bridge pickups. Those are longer than the neck pickups and it looks like that's what they used.
The Standard was built to a price so it seems doubtful that Fender would re-tool for one instrument. The length from end to end is just a hair over 3 11/16" and from center to center on the screw holes is a little over 1 9/16" but not quite 1 5/8". There is some margin for error, exact size isn't paramount.

Since all you should need is pickups, buying two single bridge pickups should be pretty straighforward. It may be a special order but larger retailers and most manufacturers should accomodate.

While I love the EMG pickups, I hesitate to recommend them simply because I don't know how they will interface with your preamp/tone control system, which was designed for passive pickups.

I am not familiar with current offerings for passive hum-cancelling Jazz Bass pickups. They are available but I haven't installed or heard any.

Fralin makes a hum-cancelling Jazz pickup but they are not cheap and unlikely to be found used. https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/split-jazz/
Seymour Duncan has some passive hum-cancelling options - https://www.seymourduncan.com/products/pickups/bass/jazz-bass/page/2

Bartolini and others probably make something that will work too. Mmmm... quiet!!!!

I'm sure there are others, time to surf the web! Cheers, Kuru

KuruPrionz #3042729 05/08/20 07:48 PM
I measured the pickups, and they look more like neck pickups than bridge. Here are some photos.

Neck pickup width

Neck pickup posts

Bridge pickup width

Bridge pickup posts

I was looking at getting two neck pickups here. https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/classic-stack-jazz-bass. It looks like they will fit, and not too expensive. I have no idea how they will sound, but I do like Seymour Duncan picks. I put a couple in my old Ibanez Musician with the original pickups went microphonic. This may not happen anytime soon (money and all), but someday, maybe.

Ronan C Murphy #3042752 05/08/20 10:45 PM
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
Looks like you are correct, Sir Pat. At least I did get that they are both the same. The Duncan looks like a great choice and they will sell you exactly what you need. I get the time thing, I run behind the curve always unless fate brings opportunity. Cheers, Kuru

From the page you linked, under Details:
"This bridge model is slightly overwound to make output balancing easier, for a perfect match with the Classic Stack Jazz Bass neck pickup. (NOTE: This bridge pickup is the slightly wider American-sized Jazz Bass version. If you have a Mexican Standard Jazz Bass, you will likely need to use two neck pickups, as the pickup slots are both neck-sized on that model.)"

And, a detail drawing from Seymour Duncan - the Jazz neck pickup.
https://4de0lh3q29ec37w0f73eq5lg-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/STK-J12n.pdf

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ronan C Murphy 

Link Copied to Clipboard