Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Genesis to reunite for 2020 tour

Phil Collins

Nicholas Collins (Phil's son)

Tony Banks

Mike Rutherford

Daryl Stuermer

Only thing I'm seeing about play dates is for the UK.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, but my ex-gf, who's a lifelong Genesis fanatic (and a fellow keyboard player) said many times that they were terrible in '07 and she left thinking they should absolutely let it be.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

I dunno, but my ex-gf, who's a lifelong Genesis fanatic (and a fellow keyboard player) said many times that they were terrible in '07 and she left thinking they should absolutely let it be.

Longtime fan here also, going back to seeing them from Nursery Cryme on down the line. No desire these days either. PG I would more likely go see. Secret World Live tour was probably best live show I ever witnessed.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

I saw them in the 90s, probably their commercial heyday (invisible touch era I think) and it wasn't a great show--mainly because it was in a stadium and I was on the other end of it :D Every wind gust affected the sound greatly.

Agree that PG's Secret World concert was fantastic. It was like going to see a broadway show when you were expecting to watch a middle school play. Mind...blown...and I have to say that Paula Cole just about stole the show.

I saw them in Toronto on the 2007 tour and they were very good. The show was pretty slick and Phil sang well. The only negative aspect of the night was that it was so windy that the sound was being buffeted a bit, so sometimes the music seemed like it had a quiet then louder effect varying with the intensity of the wind coming off Lake Ontario.

From the media footage I've seen from Phil's recent tour, his voice isnt good, in fact and sadly so, not worthy of fronting Genesis any longer.

I just saw Steve Hackett on Sunday night in Winnipeg in a intimate theater setting and it was superb, although his singer Nadal Sylvan was struggling a little on the higher notes. He was a little flat.

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ ESI UNIK 8+ monitors/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo/ CPS Spacestation 

...Agree that PG's Secret World concert was fantastic. It was like going to see a broadway show when you were expecting to watch a middle school play. Mind...blown...and I have to say that Paula Cole just about stole the show.

That"s how I felt as well. The two stage concept, the sound, everything. Broadway worthy.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

As a life-long Genesis fanatic (and keyboardist in a Genesis tribute band), this both excites me and saddens me. I hope it goes well for them. I skipped the 2006 reunion, but if they come to the US this time, I'll consider going.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

The reality is they're not the guys they were back in the seventies or eighties but none of us are.

Also depends on you're perception & expectations of Phil... a wheezing old mad struggling through the evening or an icon who has aged with time but still brings unique artistry.

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

I have no problem seeing legends in the waning years of their careers/lives, if they can still perform confidently and seem to be enjoying themselves. I don't need my hero/artists to be their young selves, but performances that emphasize a sad decline are not worth it to me.

In recent years I've seen both Brian Wilson and Leon Russell, and I wish I had skipped both shows. Barely functional and low/zero energy performances. I'd rather have never seen either artist perform than have my one live experience of each of them have been so lackluster and an emotional downer.

Genesis is one of my top three favorite bands. I'd be thrilled to see a Phil Collins who was thrilled to be there and having a good time, regardless of whether or not he can hit the notes, or even play drums. I'd pay to see a Genesis show where Phil just told stories in between numbers and didn't even make any music at all, as long as he seemed to be enjoying himself. But, watching great people try and fail where they used to succeed is not my idea of a good time. I can't quite tell what this is going to be for Collins; a joyous time making music with old colleagues, or a sad front man trying to relive a long-gone era.

In recent years I've seen both Brian Wilson and Leon Russell, and I wish I had skipped both shows. Barely functional and low/zero energy performances. I'd rather have never seen either artist perform than have my one live experience of each of them have been so lackluster and an emotional downer.

I saw Brian Wilson a couple years back. It was fun but a little odd. Though when I talked with older people there who had seen him in his heyday, they said that's how Brian has always been, even back in the 60s. I got the feeling that he's always been sort of a strange low-energy but sort of grouchy character on stage. He told one of his bandmates to "cut that out" at one point, and I think I've seen him do that on TV too. He's in kind of an odd position too, he was never really the front man, but more the evil genius behind the scenes. One of the few "band composers" who gained stardom in his own right. It's sorta like if someone felt the need to have a "Robert Fripp Showcase". That said, I'm a long way from the 60s and maybe my info is not quite on point. Someone correct me for accuracy, I'm mostly going on here-say.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Last performances by johnny winter on youtube. Very sad. Even the last TV performance of ray charles, better than anyone else but still clearly waning. You wonder if they really wanted to do these gigs or were forced to by financial need or greedy business associates. Man I'm glad I'm not famous or successful. When I want to stop I can stop, not be dangled like a limp flag for people to pity.

FunMachine.

No Chester Thompson? This tour would be for Banks and Rutherfiord money Phil has plenty even after his divorce settlement.

I"d see Peter Gabriel again, seems to be a true old soul of a human being such depth and presence really connected with the audience.

I wish Ray Wilson had been given a better chance but the US sales scared them and they aborted that attempt to carry on without Phil. The debut single was a bad choice. They had other really good songs on that album. The band was tight. Wison could handle Gariel material better than Collins material but most of the new stuff was good.

To this day Wilson composes great songs and sings and performs well.

I haven't checked in on Ray Wilson in a while but should do so; agreed on all of your points (though I do like Collins also). I skipped the orchestral show as I thought Gabriel wouldn't have as much chance to shine, but now wish I hadn't. The few times I saw Gabriel live, he just kept getting deeper and more passionate and energetic the older he got.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I like Phil Collins myself. Some don"t like their MTV era period but Phil"s vocals and his solo material appealed to me........during the same time Genesis"s sound got very big and showcased the synths, bass pedals and drums. Phil"s rig sounds as good as drums can be and of course he is a great drummer.......I mean when they did the early stuff with this huge sound it upped their appeal to me.......I liked the songs and they sounded so good with that gear.....speaking of Chester Thompson you can really hear how much nicer Phil"s rig is when the two switch off doing the older medley they repeated for their last two tours.

I was dissappointed that their last tour was basically the same set from the previous tour with a couple exceptions. But in their documentary you could see they struggled to find material they could handle at their ages and after much time off from consistent playing/practice.........as was pointed out the actual band members don"t practice only Chester and Daryl were ready for rehearsals.

We caught Filthy Phil a year and a half ago or so in Oakland. His vibe was positive if not a little geriatric. He was hobbling about on a cane and sat on a stool most of the set. Needless to say he did not play any drums. I guess he has had some health issues in recent years. That being said he seemed genuinely stoked on being there, and the band was also quite good. His son came out and did a couple songs with him and that was kind of interesting. I definitely don't regret seeing it, but there were some sad aspects to it. I will probably sit out on a Genesis reunion, but good for them!

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

As a Gabriel/Hackett era fan I'm not interested - don't think I could stand hearing Say Its Alright Joe or the other pop stuff amongst any prog they resurrect.

Happy to be playing their music with Los Endos Ultimate Genesis and keeping it alive - Hackett does (in his own way) but the rest don't.

I did see Mike and the Mechanics last year doing a few numbers - More Fool Me, Turn It On Again - it was truly awful

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

The ability to want to play music never leaves any musician and these guy's aren't any different. They should be able to tour if they want to. We're lucky to have something because if any of these guys pass there will be threads here about it.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

The ability to want to play music never leaves any musician and these guy's aren't any different.
This.

I attended an open mic/jam some months ago. Who was in the house band? The guitarist from this lot:

[video:youtube]

Alan Warner is a lovely player and a total gentleman. Still touring with the Foundations (I think only one original member), and complimented me on my playing! If he wants to keep playing, I won't stop him.

Cheers, Mike.

Former big name acts that are LONG past their prime doing another "reunion tour" reminds me of Boxers that don't know when to Quit. Then they get knocked out in the first two minutes of the first round and hit the canvas. Some of them don't get up.

I don't bother with has-been tours but I suppose its better than a "never was" concert of amateurs. :bor:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.