Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Analog Poly tuning question

I bought a new analog poly synth at the end of January. It"s been a bit of a frustrating experience thus far, but without pointing fingers and naming names, my main point of concern is that the synth is not in tune. Unfortunately, it"s failing the calibration tests with the latest firmware update. When rolling back the firmware to an earlier version, it successfully calibrates, but it"s still out of tune. When using a chromatic tuner, A4=450.8, not 440, and it"s noticeably out of tune with another keyboard, even after sufficient warm up time. The synth has a global tuning parameter so it"s useable, and once it"s dialed in, it thus far appears to stay in tune.

My question isâ¦is it 'normal' for a recently released analog synth to be this far out of tune? Is the global tuning parameter provided BECAUSE an analog synth can be this out of tune even with calibration?

The seller as well as the manufacturer have thus far been unhelpful and/or non responsive, so I"m just trying to have all the pertinent info to be able to discuss this with them knowledgably if and when they respond. Appreciate any input.

"May you stay...forever young."

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being in perfect tune is overrated. I mean we create sounds by detuning oscillators but yours is way off for being a new synth. Sounds like the oscillators are out of calibration. This happens on synths after a while and on mine you need to open them up and recalibrate. That is normal maintenance on an old analog. (All my analogs are old)

Use the global tuning adjustment to tune an analog. That is normal ... or it used to be.

Does the pitch error change when changing octaves? If it is then you have to recalibrate it.

Does pitch change longer the synth is on? Does this happen after the warmup period. . You answered that.

You may need to provide the make and model because they are all different. Also I"m an old fart and new analog may be different.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Thanks CEB. This is a brand new DeepMind 12. Without using the global tuning, all keys, all octaves are out of tune by approximately the same amount. I'm using the default program...a simple triangle wave with no de-tuning anywhere in the path. This firmware issue makes me think that there's a hardware issue going on, but that's speculation at this point. I submitted a support request 4 days ago but nothing yet from Behringer. I'm just trying to be prepared should they come back and say it's normal. I don't think it is. My Voyager was slightly out of tune for maybe the first minute after turning it on, but nothing this severe.

"May you stay...forever young."

I wasn"t clear when I refer to different octaves what I really meant was when you changed footage on an octave control. Maybe a DM owner will chime in.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt