Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

Just bought the MODX8 yesterday and have been reworking some of the pianos. So far, I've created a few live sets. Will be digging in a little deeper when time allows. I'm digging it so far

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

The MODX patch sounded great David, especially because it isn't modified. Too bad you weren't visible from the angle the video was shot at.

Thanks Mark though I don"t mind not being too visible :)

LOL we must be the same person because 1) I have a knack for not being in photos or videos, if there is a hanging chandelier it will be in front of my face and 2) I don't mind :D

I had a bit of a breakthrough with my Modx. I have not been digging the "analog" sounds in the thing...just sound kind of weedy. We added subdivisions from Rush since Neil Peart just passed away and our drummer loves Rush, fun for me too! I made a really surprisingly-good patch for this song from scratch using one part, "Analog Pad" (which consists of a few sawtooths as the elements). For one thing, most of the patches in the machine are too awash in reverb so reducing it helped to really hear what I was doing. I added a chorus (not too much) and currently have "Emphasis" for another effect and that seems to give it a bit of punch. I can always add more parts to try to thicken it up too, but along that road lies danger (layering often I find ends up making the patch worse unless you have specific things in mind.)

I still have a hankering for a knobby analog synth, which is part of my next question:

---

I'm thinking of picking up a Novation Peak or Prophet, or maybe a Virus (I used to own one) :D Can splits and layers be set up midi-wise using the module and internal sounds? The trick here would be how to stop the module from responding on the split where you wanted the internal sound only (without having to program the module to play only in a range, which is possible I guess). In other words, can the modx be set up where one range is local-only, and another sends midi out?

Example:

Modx plays only it's own electric piano up to C4, then only my new Prophet :D plays from C4 on up.

---

2nd related split/external question:

With an ipad, so far I have just simply used any patch on the MODX and mute any parts if I want to only play the ipad. Haven't tried to gig with it yet. So: if playing ipad sounds, can these be part of splits and layers?

Example:

I have MODX piano playing on the left side, ipad b3 organ playing only on the right.

If that works, I might let my Electro go, use the Modx/ipad for organ, and get the Prophet keyboard.

And as a spanner in the works, I'm thinking about selling all of it and getting a Nord Stage :P...talk about analysis paralysis.

Yep. Bosendorfer is my go to on the MODX.

Also, don"t rely on the factory settings.

Just google ' adjusting Yamaha MODX pianos' and you"ll find some really good info on where and how to deep dive to bring the best out of them pianos.

Interesting. I've just been using one of the defaults (the one with the pad volume on superknob) and it sounds nice in stereo (I normally monitor in Stereo). Mono, not as good but I'm used to that.

I'm going to check out what people are doing, as I'm pretty happy with the pianos but there's always room for improvement.

can the modx be set up where one range is local-only, and another sends midi out?

If playing ipad sounds, can these be part of splits and layers?

Yes to both. The function you're looking for is called Zone Master. Then each Performance can have its own combination of internal and external sounds, wplit/layered however you want.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

can the modx be set up where one range is local-only, and another sends midi out?

If playing ipad sounds, can these be part of splits and layers?

Yes to both. The function you're looking for is called Zone Master. Then each Performance can have its own combination of internal and external sounds, wplit/layered however you want.

Thanks! There are a few things I don't like about the hardware of this synth, but it's really well-engineered software-wise. And even on the build side, it's hard to complain when I can pick up the modx7 by the back with one hand and put it up on the stand! Trade-offs...

• 3 months later...

Looks like Yamaha has recently released another firmware upgrade for the MODX a few days ago. Version 2.50 has 32 new performances, Smart Morph feature for FM-X voices, adds DAW remote control & various Pattern Sequencer & playability improvements.

Info

here

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

The modx7 is the only working keyboard I have--my old Studiologic weighted controller finallly died, my pc361 has two keys out in bad places.

What's scary is that I'm getting pretty good at playing piano on it :P If and when I get another weighted keyboard it's going to be a rough transition back.

Aiming for a Kawai es110 when I get my Guitar center coupon again, if I ever do!

I"ve only scratched the surface, the Smart Morph is a thing of wonder. Select up to eight different FM patches and let the engine twist and mangel them together and now you"ve got a new patch with an X/Y pad on the touch screen that lets you slosh around and though the braided overlaps. Find sweet spots and save them to the 8 different Scenes. Pick two points and modulate between them, assign that floating point to the Super Knob, and move it with an expression pedal or even the Motion Sequencer...What A BEAST!

I"ve morphed a couple of DX EP"s and get these interesting FM ring-mods that can sweep with Super Knob Sequence. Then layered that on top of some lush, evolving pads and choirs. WOW! Did something similar with FM organs morphed and layered with a decent B3 emo...again with the weird and strange ring-mods. Pretty cool.

• 6 months later...

I'm sure this has been discussed before....MOXF retains many fans, and often sequencer is mentioned. Now that the MODX is up to 2.5 how do we compare these two boards as motif style workstations.

Why do so many still seem to prefer the MOXF? Or maybe I have that wrong.....

I'm afraid MEX has lured me into the motif legacy....

[video:youtube]

Now I was under the impression the MX series does not really have much sequencing mojo....or

V2 MX61 specs: 208 patterns, SMF Format 0 (playback only)

Thanks so much guys, I have some great analog and VA synths, but I like the yamaha acoustic samples and multitimbral potenial. At first I was thinking to just grab a MX49 as a sound module. Very affordable. But a decent hardware sequencer might be very useful to me.

I'm sure it's all been said, but I would apreciate thoughts on MX vs MOXF vs MODX pros/cons as of 2021......happy new year!!!

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

This should cover most of the key differences...

MX

* 166 mb of sample sata, a subset of the Motif XS sample set.

* A maximum of 4 parts at once can have effects, one effect each.

* Almost no on-board editing. There was a free computer editor, but it appears to be abandonware, leaving you with the options from John Melas (excellent, but not free).

* You'll need an editor, not just to edit the sounds, but also to be able to play more than two sounds at once from the keyboard.

* No built-in sequencer, just rhythm patterns and arpeggios. It can play externally generated MIDI sequences, though, directly from another device or from a USB stick.

* Seamless sound switching is limited to switching within user-defined sets of 16 sounds.

* No specific MIDI control functions, though you can use the 16 buttons to instantly change which of the 16 channels you're transmitting on.

* Used as a 16 channel MIDI sound source, it's one sound per channel, but the external editor would allow you to put multiple sounds on some channels with none on others.

* the only one of these models with a 49 key version.

* IIRC, the knobs are fixed pots; the MOXF/MODX use endless encoders

MOXF

* 741 mb of sample data, including the full Motis XS sample set and a lot more. Optional flash card for loading a GB of additional samples (2 GB with a 3rd party card, I don't know if it's still available.)

* A maximum of 8 parts at once can have effects, two effects each.

* Full on-board editing.

* Split/layer up to 16 parts at once from the keyboard.

* Full built-in sequencer.

* Seamless sound switching is limited to switching within user-defined sets of 16 sounds.

* Four zone external MIDI control.

* Used as a 16 channel MIDI sound source, you can assign each sound to whatever channel you want.

MODX

* 5.67 GB of sample data, which includes the complete MOXF sample set, plus there's a GB of space for you to load additional samples.

* A maximum of 12 internal parts at once can have effects, two effects each.

* Full on-board editing via large touchscreen

* Split/layer up to 8 parts at once from the keyboard.

* Less sequencer functionality than the MOXF.

* Seamless sound switching among all sounds as long as you use only the first 4 of the 16 available Parts to create the sounds.

* Eight zone external MIDI control.

* Used as a 16 channel MIDI sound source, it's one part per channel, you would need additional hardware to assign multiple parts to the same channel.

* the only one of these models with a 76 key version.

* touchscreen patch selection

I don't know much about the sequencers, I've never used any of them. I could be wrong, but this is my cursory understanding:

... for 16 track end-to-end compositions, MOXF tracks are individually editable, MODX "performance recorder" tracks are not.

... with the newer software updates, MODX is roughly equivalent to the MOXF for sequences assembled out of patterns

Maybe someone else can confirm or elaborate on the differences in sequencer functions.

There are also differences you can tell just by looking, like the number of front panel controls, the available back panel connectivity, how big/informative the displays are.

ETA: MODX also adds all their new "motion control" stuff, which I've never really looked into because it doesn't seem relevant to anything I do.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thank you Scott !!!

That gives me a framework to understand some fundamentals, very helpful. I see the MOXF6 now new for $999, and the expansion memory seems to still be floating about.

If anyone has a clean 6 they are not using and don"t mind shipping it, you might catch me before I pull the trigger on a new one. Because of the plastiky build I"m leaning to a fresh start.

Happier New Year to us all!!!

I'm probably going to be selling my Modx7 via reverb quite soon, if so I'll post here (though of course I'd rather sell locally in Central Fla!)

It's the odd board out, I got a Mofx8 for my son for his music class, as they won't do labs right now...but once he's back and I'm back gigging, I'll be using that. Additionally, my plan is to get a Stage compact to handle everything for most gigs (organ being the big missing piece).

It's a great keyboard, just superfluous for my needs assuming I get back to gigging in my current band sometime this year (2021!)

I'm probably going to be selling my Modx7 via reverb quite soon, if so I'll post here (though of course I'd rather sell locally in Central Fla!)

It's the odd board out, I got a Mofx8 for my son for his music class, as they won't do labs right now...but once he's back and I'm back gigging, I'll be using that. Additionally, my plan is to get a Stage compact to handle everything for most gigs (organ being the big missing piece).

It's a great keyboard, just superfluous for my needs assuming I get back to gigging in my current band sometime this year (2021!)

Telling post, I was very tempted by ModX and latest Fantôme. But once I really delved into workflow I was Put off. Funny the Genos was attractive. That"s just because I"m a long ways behind you guys and I need a good shedding board more than anything. Keybed is not crucial as I have a quiver now which can control stuff. If I can find a good box I would probably let my C2X go...I will never toss a keyboard box again.

Thank you Scott !!!

I see the MOXF6 now new for $999, and the expansion memory seems to still be floating about.

Get yourself the Mutec FMC-07 - 2GB flash memory instead of the max 1GB Yamaha sells. It's mainly useful if you have larger samples like the Chick Corea Rhodes or such. There's a lot of tech talk about what it actually does and doesn't do over at Motifator. I recently bought one and installed it in my Motif XF, and it is great.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Thank you Scott !!!

I see the MOXF6 now new for $999, and the expansion memory seems to still be floating about.

Get yourself the Mutec FMC-07 - 2GB flash memory instead of the max 1GB Yamaha sells. It's mainly useful if you have larger samples like the Chick Corea Rhodes or such. There's a lot of tech talk about what it actually does and doesn't do over at Motifator. I recently bought one and installed it in my Motif XF, and it is great.

Thank You, where did you find it?

This young man, Dom, gives Nick a great demo I thought.

[video:youtube]

I bought the Mutec 2G board for MOXF6, worked great. I haven"t even taken my MOXF6 out of its case since I got my MODX7. No comparison for keyboard playing related keyboard gigging needs - night and day. Can"t comment on sequencer, I don" really use it on either.
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

The 2 GB board obviously gives you 2 GB. I imagine the discussion about what it does and doesn't do is a reference to the fact that the MODX has a fixed maximum number of samples it can deal with, and if you exceed that number, putting in more memory won't help. So if you're using libraries with fewer but larger samples, having more memory may be more useful than if you're using libraries with zillions of small samples.

Telling post, I was very tempted by ModX and latest Fantôme. But once I really delved into workflow I was Put off. Funny the Genos was attractive. That"s just because I"m a long ways behind you guys and I need a good shedding board more than anything. Keybed is not crucial as I have a quiver now which can control stuff. If I can find a good box I would probably let my C2X go...I will never toss a keyboard box again.

Actually, I really like working on the Modx--I have some time in on that new-to-me Moxf8, and a lot of time in on my old Motif, and I think the Modx is a step forward. The additional FM sounds add quite a bit of value too. It's only the odd board out because I'd prefer to have at least one weighted board so I'll keep the Moxf8. I got used to the light keybed of the Modx7, though in my home studio I'm using my retired-from-gigs Pc361, I much prefer that semi-weighted action.

I think the Modx is a step forward. The additional FM sounds add quite a bit of value too.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that as another major difference in my MX/MOXF/MODX model comparison... the FM engine in the MODX (with its own additional polyphony).

• 5 months later...

Bumping this as I've refallen in love with the MODX and want to gush.

I was never a fan of the stock EPs. Mixed two of the EPs together ("Soft R&B" is a great go-to, similar to the Nord ones which I love) and have adjusted the tuning with Motion Control. With MC turned on, the tuning randomly drifts ever so slightly when playing. Coupled with the excellent note-off samples, it's turning into the best Rhodes emulation I have. Will be buying and installing Busch's Vintage Keys set next month to add more samples, and to see if I can get a Wurly out of it that I enjoy.

I've done something similar with the acoustic pianos. Edited the velocity curve, and have detuned the Elements that trigger at high velocities. The result is a piano that sounds full and authentic - again, very close to my favourite Nord Uprights, some of which seem to have a natural detuning to their samples.

The synth engine is just great. Now that I know my way around it, there isn't a sound I can't coax out of it. Adding VB3 for mobile via the Audio/USB interface has turned it into a clonewheel too.

My only gripe is the action and general feel of it. It's very light.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Question relating to above. How do I split parts on the MODX with external sounds?

For example, I want the MODX piano to play on the left side of the keyboard, and the organ from my phone to play on the right. I've played with the KEYBD PLAY buttons, have tried all of the different MIDI modes in Utilities (MIDI I/O and ADVANCED) but can't figure it out. I can get the organ playing on the right side only, but can't get the piano itself on the left. The organ from my phone always plays over the whole keyboard. How do I split it?

EDIT: Found it. The answer lies within ZONE CONTROL. For future reference, you have to select the part you want (every part links to the same MIDI channel), go to Edit > Part Settings > Zone Settings then turn ZONE CONTROL to ON. Then you can play around and split to your heart's content.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

The zone control helps indeed, I've been using it with my Behringer Model D. But even after more than a year, I still feel confused by the concepts of the MODX and can never do anything quickly. I purchased this board for gigging but whenever I'm rehearsing with the guys and I decide to make a split or something like that, it's a frustrating and embarrassing experience where people have to wait for me to scr*w around with the interface and I certainly look like I don't know what I'm doing which is kind of true. Maybe the problem is in me though. But then I'm a software developer, tech savvy, I can program synths and I can certainly program the MODX, yet I just can't get accustomed to its peculiarities... To me it seems more like a studio board.

As to Rhodes, I can recommend the free Chick Corea set that can be downloaded from the Yamaha website: it covers all my needs and there are some wonderful performances there too that one can use to further edit and prepare his own sounds.

whenever I'm rehearsing with the guys and I decide to make a split or something like that, it's a frustrating and embarrassing experience where people have to wait for me to scr*w around with the interface

I created one Performance with a split placed at my most common split point. Then the quickest way for me to create a split with different sounds is to call up that Performance, Edit it, use the Category Search button to Change the sounds in one of the Parts, and if I'll need to use that sound combination again again, Save it into its own location. The only trick is that, when changing the sound for one side of a split that way, you need to toggle off the buttons at the bottom of the screen that instruct the board to bring in the new sound with all its own parameters (instead, you want it to respect the split and other parameters of the Performance that are already defined, and in this case, not have something come in with its own key range assignment), Once you toggle that off, it stays off for the duration of the session, so you don't have to do it every time, but it will reset to the default next time you power up.

One thing that I found a bit confusing is that when you search for and bring in another Performace (say for a split or layer), if that performance consists of multiple parts it'll bring them all in. Which is quite irritating when they are programmed in ranges across the keyboard, I did NOT know about that toggle Scott just described.

I tend to use the keyboard to set the splits, there's an option to do so (or you can dial in the lower and upper).

I have to give this board credit, I've done several gigs now with an ipad supplying all the b3 organ (which I use a lot) and nary a problem. One thing that does happen is that if I need to hit anything on the ipad (say to unlock it), the sounds from hitting the touchscreen go through the modx and out to the PA if it's on. I should see about turning that off if possible, or at least turn down the usb volume on the MODX if nothing else. It hasn't been a huge deal, it mainly only happens between sets.

I have to give this board credit, I've done several gigs now with an ipad supplying all the b3 organ (which I use a lot) and nary a problem. One thing that does happen is that if I need to hit anything on the ipad (say to unlock it), the sounds from hitting the touchscreen go through the modx and out to the PA if it's on. I should see about turning that off if possible, or at least turn down the usb volume on the MODX if nothing else. It hasn't been a huge deal, it mainly only happens between sets.

go to settings>sounds and haptics toggle off "keyboard clicks" and "Lock Sound"

I also place y iOS devices in airplane mode during a gig, as well as change auto-lock to "Never"

I don't use my iOS devices to play and sounds. I do use it to control my in-ear mix (connected to the monitor or FOH via wifi, and then which ever app i need (x32, q-mix, etc)

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Dang I thought I couldn't use airplane mode and wifi (I use x32 to control my mix). Thanks for that, and also for the info on turning off the beep-beep boop-boop though :)

I'll change auto-lock as well.

All in all though it's been painless, I really thought I'd have some issues to work through. I do have some gain matching to watch for between the ipad and modx internals but you have that with multiple hardware keyboards too.

User ignorance is so far the biggest issue, this thread has taught me at least four basic things that I should have already known :D

I'm rehearsing with the guys and I decide to make a split or something like that, it's a frustrating and embarrassing experience ...

I wrote a couple of step-by-steps for split and layer:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/easy-modx-super-knob-example/

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-modx-creating-a-split/

Includes directions for taking a MODX screenshot, too.

Hope this helps out -- pj