Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NRBQ Magnet piano solo

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to know Al when he was here in Nashville, writing hit Country songs. And Joey would always talk to me when I'd run into him at the grocery store :laugh: (which happened a lot actually). Way back in the late 70s, I was in a band (LeBlanc & Carr) that opened for them in a High School auditorium somewhere in Massachusetts. :cool:

They are from CT, Manchester I think originally. One of my old buddies grew up with them at local taverns.. he came from there... fairly close to LI/NYC (2-3 hours or so) ...Terry is such a gas of a player...the whole bad!

There was a great club in Manchester my old band used to play... can't remember the name..either the 'Industrial Revolution' or the 'Iron Horse' .. one was in VT and one in CT... I would always confuse the 2 club names..think they played there a lot also! The Club was an old CTA (Creative Talent Agency, New Rochelle NY) room from way back in the way back machine!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Legatoboy,I think we went to different schools together. Industrial Revolution was in Montpelier VT. Nice long staircase for carrying the B-3 and Leslies,or you could use the deathtrap fire escape at the rear. Iron Horse was in CT. Another great club was David's in Manchester. Big club with grear acoustics. Played all three frequently as a CTA booked band. We started with CTA when they were still in Bronxville NY. We played all over the northeast under their auspices. Over 20 years later I ran into CTA honcho Kevin Brenner in a large club he was managing in Amenia NY. He seemed a bit vague regarding the past.

What was the name of your band at that time ( very early 70's)? Also, was NRBQ booked by CTA at some point? If so,I was unaware of it. What inpressed me most about the Q was their bringing a grand piano and tuner guy to bar gigs. Color me envious.

I did my first gig leading my own jazz quintet at the Player's Tavern a little over....ouch... 42 years ago!! Someone posted the club schedule from August 1977 on Facebook and I happened to see my name. Sorry for the derail, but can't help getting nostalgic in my old age. Player's Tavern was special â you'd see NRBQ (on topic, lol), Pat Metheny, Freddie Hubbard, Charles Mingus, Steppenwoolf, Elephant's Memory, etc. Not too many places with such an eclectic mix of performers, I think.

They [NRBQ] are from CT, Manchester I think originally. One of my old buddies grew up with them at local taverns..

According to Wikipedia they started in Shively, Kentucky. Hmmmm....

Pa..... Yes yes... Iron Horse in Manchester then... I always got them confused because the Industrial Revolution in VT made Gears and Wheels for Steam Train engines going back to the 1800 originally, the venue's history (yes the band and I carried my C3 and Leslie up the stairs) and the Manchester Venue was called the ;Iron Horse' so I would conflate them in my memory... to me they were just both just very 'North' from NYC and LI .... my feeble mind at this age gets confused... but yes Kevin Brenner and the whole crew... my friend grew up in Manchester,CT and told me NRBQ was his local band but I have often heard they were from Hartford, CT.... our name (at it was a terrible name) was the 'Arthur Band'....it was vogue then to give bands people names in our neck of the woods - 'The Jason Garfield', 'Benjamin', Jethro Tull etc.. .. but Arthur was actually an inside joke for band members who were all lifeguards at a local pool and Arthur was their boss .. we were a poor man's Rat Race Choir but not half as good....but we worked steady, had 4 part harmony... we were a solid B to B plus outfit ....originally played a lot of Catholic HS Dances in Queens and some in NYC occasionally (1969 - 1975) , in that circuit we were an A band! Nice memories....Good years.... the best actually! So yeah Pa we went to different schools together...We did the workshops with CTA in New Rochelle with Kevin and crew!

Legatoboy,I think we went to different schools together. Industrial Revolution was in Montpelier VT. Nice long staircase for carrying the B-3 and Leslies,or you could use the deathtrap fire escape at the rear. Iron Horse was in CT. Another great club was David's in Manchester. Big club with grear acoustics. Played all three frequently as a CTA booked band. We started with CTA when they were still in Bronxville NY. We played all over the northeast under their auspices. Over 20 years later I ran into CTA honcho Kevin Brenner in a large club he was managing in Amenia NY. He seemed a bit vague regarding the past.

What was the name of your band at that time ( very early 70's)? Also, was NRBQ booked by CTA at some point? If so,I was unaware of it. What inpressed me most about the Q was their bringing a grand piano and tuner guy to bar gigs. Color me envious.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Pa..... Yes yes... Iron Horse in Manchester then... I always got them confused because the Industrial Revolution in VT made Gears and Wheels for Steam Train engines going back to the 1800 originally, the venue's history (yes the band and I carried my C3 and Leslie up the stairs) and the Manchester Venue was called the ;Iron Horse' so I would conflate them in my memory...

OK, speaking of Northeast train-related clubs in the '70s, I used to play at the Roundhouse in Manchester Center VT. Ring any bells?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Wastrel, The Roundhouse sounds familiar but doesn"t conjure up any clear images. Legatoboy,I remember Arthur. One of my old band mates has a poster from a multi band show at some NY college we played that has Arthur listed on it among the bands appearing. Also,my apologies to Rocky for helping to derail his original post. Hey Rocky,being from Granby do you remember Gemini"s in Simsbury? That place used to really rage. There was also a place near Otis MA called Bucksteep Manor where we were on the bill with...wait for it...NRBQ!! Big Al was still with them and they were exactly as you"d expect them to be.

I got to know Al when he was here in Nashville, writing hit Country songs. And Joey would always talk to me when I'd run into him at the grocery store :laugh: (which happened a lot actually). Way back in the late 70s, I was in a band (LeBlanc & Carr) that opened for them in a High School auditorium somewhere in Massachusetts. :cool:
Man I love Al !

You know he's had a recent hit with Meghan Trainor on "All about that Bass" (not the fish) right?

This is great:

[video:youtube]

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Man I love Al !

You know he's had a recent hit with Meghan Trainor on "All about that Bass" (not the fish) right?

This is great:

[video:youtube]

I don't think he had anything to do with that song. That video only mentions that he was the one who got her signed when she was young (which is cool). But the song came much after, and I know it was just her home demo. (The video is misleadingly titled; they just mean she's THAT Meghan Trainor, not that he had anything to do with the song.)

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Pa, the Roundhouse sounds vaguely familiar... I was pretty much lost in the haze in those days, being so young being the youngest band member, taken under the wings of older guys who were 2-3 years older, even then not many keyboard players around though even less today I believe ...if we were on that bill it was probably us... no one else had a name that was that bad! :D

Wastrel, The Roundhouse sounds familiar but doesn"t conjure up any clear images. Legatoboy,I remember Arthur. One of my old band mates has a poster from a multi band show at some NY college we played that has Arthur listed on it among the bands appearing. Also,my apologies to Rocky for helping to derail his original post. Hey Rocky,being from Granby do you remember Gemini"s in Simsbury? That place used to really rage. There was also a place near Otis MA called Bucksteep Manor where we were on the bill with...wait for it...NRBQ!! Big Al was still with them and they were exactly as you"d expect them to be.

Man I love Al !

I don't think he had anything to do with that song. That video only mentions that he was the one who got her signed when she was young (which is cool). But the song came much after, and I know it was just her home demo. (The video is misleadingly titled; they just mean she's THAT Meghan Trainor, not that he had anything to do with the song.)

Thanks for the correction. :)

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3