Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond B-3X for IPad

That's a real good point about cooperation...otherwise you get into "ok, I'll just turn up over you then" games, and you end up at twice the volume at the end of the night :) (I have read that Deep Purple had some of that going on at times also). Having stereo iems where I put the guitar at 10 o'clock, vox near the middle and my sounds in stereo really helps me hear everything so much better :D Ironically I hear way better at gigs than at practices, when we don't bother to set up the mixer....

This app sounds incredible from the vids. I still have my Nord electro so this isn't a "need"--but it sure would be nice to have a good hammond sound at practices when I just bring my Yamaha modx.

Has the $99.00 intro price become the normal list price? I don't see anything on their website about $99.00 being the intro price anymore - but I could be missing something obvious. I'm planning on buying a new iPad (my current one is just too old - probably get an iPad Mini 5). I don't want to buy the app until I get my new iPad which might be another month or so. But the first app I get, will be this app. It would really help me out and hearing the posts on this thread, it sounds impressive. Can't wait to get a new iPad.

IIRC, I think the price changes on March 1st. I don"t want to set off any false alarms, but I think that info was posted on IK"s website. Hopefully someone has more accurate information, but I do know the 99.00 was an intro price. I"ll try to find more accurate data.

Here it is, at the bottom of the page - says March 2020, no date specified:

B3X for iPad

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

When I cant be heard I ask myself, does this song need organ in this spot? If the guitars are covering the heavy and the organ cant be heard, maybe the band doesn't want or need me here. So I lay out. If they DO want me here they can clear me a spot, the guitars can back off to let me through. In Deep Purple there was no rhythm guitar so you could hear the hammond. If Jon Lord was in Judas Priest he would have only played the mellow parts. It's not the b3x s fault.

Point taken and real good advice. However, I"ve played these tunes for decades with all sorts of emulation renditions; analog, FM, samples, ROMplers, and 'lesser' clones. Some work better than others and some take a lot of trial and error to make them work.

B-3X is without a doubt the best Hammond / Leslie sound currently at my disposal, but the presets I"ve made in my VR09, MODX and even my DeepMind12 work better on the more crunchy parts in my band. I"m still learning what all of the settings do on the app and am sure I"ll eventually get it to cover ALL the parts I need it to. Just takes some time to try all of the excellent options in the dern thing. Dig it.

B-3X for iPad has turned out to be a very good purchase for me. I am very happy with the benefit to price ratio for this app.

My 18 pound Roland FA-07 has a useful mix of workstation class features, tons of synth sounds and a good keybed to play on. Its biggest shortcomings are improved with B-3X, Neo Soul Keys Studio 2 and Ravenscroft iOS on a decent iPad and Korg Plug Key setup. This is really usable, sounds great, portable and so easy.

I'm pleased with the sound of the B-3X and would consider it an upgrade sound to the built in organ engines from Roland, Korg, Kurzweil and Nord, and none of those suck to begin with. B-3X just sounds better to me.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Has the $99.00 intro price become the normal list price? I don't see anything on their website about $99.00 being the intro price anymore - but I could be missing something obvious. I'm planning on buying a new iPad (my current one is just too old - probably get an iPad Mini 5). I don't want to buy the app until I get my new iPad which might be another month or so. But the first app I get, will be this app. It would really help me out and hearing the posts on this thread, it sounds impressive. Can't wait to get a new iPad.

Would B-3X load on your current ipad at all? Does the app store make it available on your ipad?

FWIW, I purchased B-3X for my ipad Air 1st gen. The app didn't work well enough on it (even with v1.2), but worked fine on the mini 5. I was able to carry the purchase over to the new ipad. The friendly Apple company store helped me with the process.

As to the question of the introductory price - I emailed IK & they replied that the $99 holds until the end of March 2020.

There was alot of negative talk about the price at the start of this thread. Some of us paid anyway but a few indicated the high price compared to other apps was a non starter. I wonder if raising the price would be a mistake.

FunMachine.

Hello,

I recently purchased the Hammond B-3X organ app for iPad (V1.2) and am having difficulty getting it to integrate with iMidiPatchBay. iMidiPatchBay does not seem to recognize the Hammond B-3X app when it is launched and running on the same iPad as iMidiPatchBay. The Hammond B-3X is not listed as an available device in the iMidiPatchBay Extern Output Device list. Also, the Hammond B-3X app does not list iMidiPatchBay as an available MIDI input device in its MIDI Input Device list. What do I need to do to get these two apps to recognize each other? Does iMidiPatchBay provide a virtual MIDI port that can be recognized by the Hammond B-3X? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

As to the question of the introductory price - I emailed IK & they replied that the $99 holds until the end of March 2020.

There was alot of negative talk about the price at the start of this thread. Some of us paid anyway but a few indicated the high price compared to other apps was a non starter. I wonder if raising the price would be a mistake.

For me, it would depend just how much. I will only buy it even at 100 bucks if I'm pretty sure it would be an integral part of my rig--ie, that isn't "pick up a toy" money. Whether it will or not depends on which if any keyboards I sell and what my rig ends up looking like :) Compare to something like Zeeon, which I picked up for 10 bucks iirc...just easier to justify if it ends up not being used.

If my rig has a need for organ in the future, If this got expensive enough, I'd start considering a legend expander or other module instead as that wouldn't need an interface and of course comes with physical controls. So I guess we'll see where it ends up.

Thanks for posting your videos, they helped me decide that I want this. I have tube Hammonds, but I"ve used either an SK-1 or a Nord to get me through gigs for a number of years. I have an HX-3, which I like a lot too but using an iPad would be extremely handy. I am still going to wait until I get my iPad Mini 5 to purchase the app so I"m glad I have some breathing room. I played on an M3 and B3 (still have both) a lot, and I"m thinking of splitting my SK-1 73 key into two, with the top part using 44 keys and the remaining keys going for the bottom. Not sure how that would work but if it did, it would be great. I really like the key bed of the SK-1, so thats a plus. Another post mentioned using Neo Keys and Ravenscroft apps - that sounds like a good idea to me too. Not to be redundant, but the fact IK Multimedia came out with an update, this soon, and with good features speaks well to their intentions and makes the price seem reasonable.

Thanks for posting your videos, they helped me decide that I want this. I have tube Hammonds, but I"ve used either an SK-1 or a Nord to get me through gigs for a number of years. I have an HX-3, which I like a lot too but using an iPad would be extremely handy. I am still going to wait until I get my iPad Mini 5 to purchase the app so I"m glad I have some breathing room. I played on an M3 and B3 (still have both) a lot, and I"m thinking of splitting my SK-1 73 key into two, with the top part using 44 keys and the remaining keys going for the bottom. Not sure how that would work but if it did, it would be great. I really like the key bed of the SK-1, so thats a plus. Another post mentioned using Neo Keys and Ravenscroft apps - that sounds like a good idea to me too. Not to be redundant, but the fact IK Multimedia came out with an update, this soon, and with good features speaks well to their intentions and makes the price seem reasonable.

I just noticed myself the re: in reference to the vids: You're quite welcome. This app is so deep you won't get tired of it , and I can safely say I have it maybe 95% identical to my personal B sound wise. One thing you may not be aware of is that since this was developed with HS the IK team is quick to point out that an SK model would be a great controller keyboard for B3X. There is a drop down menu that supports "SK Series", as well as "XK Series" , and "XK-3 Series", so you should be good to go once you score your iPad Mini 5. The only downer I have experienced is with the 1.2.0 update they took away the animation in the cabs section and replaced it with the front wooden box - no joy. I have a support ticket in with them asking to make it a toggle since my Mini 5 experienced no ill effects with it running. I hope they make it an option because it's so much easier to see an animation of spinning horns and baffles than trying to explain what a Leslie does...................... especially with drummers.

:facepalm:

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

... The only downer I have experienced is with the 1.2.0 update they took away the animation in the cabs section and replaced it with the front wooden box - no joy. I have a support ticket in with them asking to make it a toggle since my Mini 5 experienced no ill effects with it running. I hope they make it an option because it's so much easier to see an animation of spinning horns and baffles than trying to explain what a Leslie does...................... especially with drummers.

Jake

It"s still there. Go to Cabs, then hit the keyboard icon at the top.

The SK setup is not correct in the Leslie switching between stop and fast, and the app gets out of sync with the SK. Select stop on the SK, then fast (both SK and app speed up) and then again. The SK shows 'stop' lit and 'fast' unlit and the internal sim is slows to a stop. The app will have switched 'stop' off when it went to fast and is now running at chorale speed.

Legend Live, Leslie 251/147, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

... The only downer I have experienced is with the 1.2.0 update they took away the animation in the cabs section and replaced it with the front wooden box - no joy. I have a support ticket in with them asking to make it a toggle since my Mini 5 experienced no ill effects with it running. I hope they make it an option because it's so much easier to see an animation of spinning horns and baffles than trying to explain what a Leslie does...................... especially with drummers.

Jake

It"s still there. Go to Cabs, then hit the keyboard icon at the top.

The SK setup is not correct in the Leslie switching between stop and fast, and the app gets out of sync with the SK. Select stop on the SK, then fast (both SK and app speed up) and then again. The SK shows 'stop' lit and 'fast' unlit and the internal sim is slows to a stop. The app will have switched 'stop' off when it went to fast and is now running at chorale speed.

John,

I was hoping you were correct and i just missed that tab, but no joy. In the updated notes section (7.1.1) there"s a statement that describes the animated cab as having too much processor draw on older iPads. Trouble is I"m using a mini 5 which is Apple"s latest processor and I didn"t have any issues running the animation. I think IK just decided to blanket all the minis with the same configuration. Regardless of the keys tab being visible or not, all i get is the closed cab view for all models of amp and cabinet.

Paul at IK is the contact person I"ve been in touch with and understands the problem. He went back and forth with the dev team and hopefully they can work out a solution. I wouldn"t mind if they left it on constantly instead of a toggle, but I"m hopeful that they can restore the animation with the next update.

Thanks for your reply.

Jake

"It needs a Hammond"

Haven't been following this thread enough. Is this available for laptop as well as I pad?

I will have to look into this. 99 bucks for a decent clonewheel organ sound?

Don'r get me started in asking how the CV is through. Alfredson will be out to get me I am sure

I will have to look into this. 99 bucks for a decent Hammond organ sound?

Fixed it for ya........ :facepalm:

Jake

"It needs a Hammond"

So... how does this compare to Galileo 2? With all the IAPs plus the initial purchase price, you're all in for around $45, only $15 if you don't need all the IAPs.

I would imagine there'd be comparisons for:

- the sound

- the leslie

- the CV and percussion

I guess as good a question would be, how much better or not, is Galileo 2 compared to the Nord, Roland, Yamaha, etc. offerings? Is Galileo perhaps better for rock vs Jazz organ? Are you 80% there with Galileo, as compared to perhaps 95% with B-3X?

As a casual user of organ sounds, the difference between Galileo 2 and B-3X would have to be very noticeable to justify the purchase, no matter that it's 'just' an iPad app. Now that iPads are more powerful and are getting more notebook capabilities with iPadOS, there'll no doubt be more price creep like we see here. Their Syntronik app is virtually identical from the iPad to PCs, they must have heard people like me saying, cool, what a bargain to have the iPad version! Though a fully outfitted iPad Syntronik starts to get pricey as well.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Galileo is a great iOS organ emulation with a plethora of settings and effects to provide even the most comprehensive tweaker years of delight. The expansive variety of noises possible with the thing are staggeringly immense.

IK/Hammond just kills for authentic replication. Not as many parameters and options, but still plenty that should keep most of those that like chasing the perfect tone continually tweaking for just as long.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that it would be nice to have some sort of delay effect within the B-3X app...I wholeheartedly agree. Perhaps in the next update? It would be nice to have more effects available to swap out ones on the current virtual pedal board and effects rack. If they do expand those, I wonder if it will require IAP's? How many folks would balk at that? HA!

From the demos I have heard, b3x sounds much better than Galileo. Granted, I'd like to hear more from Galileo 2. There's also the Garage band organ, which I haven't messed with much but if it's the Logic Pro organ that is pretty good IMO.

I just had a "eureka" moment where I finally got a nice poly synth sound out of my modx (struggling a bit with "analog" sounds on this keyboard) and suddenly b3x becomes more likely, since I'm now more likely to keep the modx. If there's one feature I think all new keyboards should embrace: having a built-in class compliant ios/computer interface that allows you to easily bring the external device audio and mix with the keyboard's own sounds. It is the single best feature of the modx IMO. I know some Roland boards are doing this as well, not sure who else.

I have both on my iPad...... B3X better by far !

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Because I had it already on my ipad, I fired up the garage band organ. It does pretty much sound like the Logic organ, but it doesn't seem to have near as much tweakability and I couldn't find where (if possible) to map midi information coming from my modx to the controls. This may be me as I find Garage Band pretty confusing compared to Logic (ironically). The key click was too loud and I would want to reduce it but didn't see where that was possible.

I had three itunes cards I got at Christmas, hey might as well redeem them as they'll go to waste :D Probably going to pick this up. I already have a couple of good synths so no need to buy any more of those. This can hopefully be a good organ for one-keyboard gigs and practices if nothing else, and if I sell my electro without getting another clonewheel to replace, it'll be THE organ. I actually find the light keys of the modx pretty nice for organ (as a non-organist).

Downloaded tonight onto my mini 5. Instantly gobsmacked by how good it is. Far beyond Galileo 2 in sound quality and ease of use. Haven't thought about how it compares to my Mojo 61 in sound quality. I think I'd still take the Mojo anytime it was practical to do so. But for a B3 app, the B-3X sets a new standard.

Love that the leslie speed can toggle momentary from a footswitch.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Far beyond Galileo 2 in sound quality and ease of use.

Galileo's extensive tweakability didn't help me much to like it. No matter how much I tweaked it, I never obtained the B3/Leslie sound I was looking for. Looked at in that light I wasted money with Galileo even though it's much cheaper than B3-X. I never use it.

In contrast I am using B3-X daily either on PC or iPad. From day one I had a lot of fun playing it. No regrets about the purchase even though I initially thought it's too expensive.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

I also bought Galileo (v1 - haven't tried v2). It's a really impressive app, with low latency and so much to tweak...however I don't particularly enjoy the sound I dial-in, so have just stuck with my Electro 3 until now.

In contrast I am using B3-X daily either on PC or iPad.

You have the app on both platforms?

Do you hear/notice any perceivable differences between the two?

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Hi,

I have both versions too.... No audible difference.

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2