Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peter Tork Dead at 77.

RIP Peter Tork.

Monkees bassist and singer Peter Tork, who played with the group from their earliest days as a made-for-TV band in the Sixites through their recent reunion tours, died Thursday of unknown causes. He was 77. Tork"s sister Anne Thorkelson confirmed the affable musician"s death to The Washington Post.

'I am told he slipped away peacefully,' his Monkees bandmate Michael Nesmith said in a statement. 'Yet, as I write this my tears are awash, and my heart is broken. Even though I am clinging to the idea that we all continue, the pain that attends these passings has no cure.'

The sentiment was echoed by Micky Dolenz, his other surviving bandmate. 'There are no words right now,' he said. 'Heart broken over the loss of my Monkee brother Peter.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Tork died on February 21st, 2019. One year and five days ago.

Yeah... this is a social media phenomenon, which has led to me start using the modified quote:

"In the future, everyone famous will be dead 15 times on facebook."

- Andy Warhol

Friends of mine who work in internet stuff have examined the phenomenon and found that it's because of how sites recommend other articles for trending things, so if someone clicks on an obituary for another musician who has just died, the engine will triangulate "musician (genre) | obituary | month + date overlaps" and put it on the side as a "you might also be interested in..." thing, and since people aren't in the habit of looking at the date (and usually don't get used to seeing a new year's date for a few months, AND in our high information environment it's hard to remember who died already, anyway... all of a sudden there's a story that's 1 - 15 or 20 years old going viral everywhere.

I noticed the Tork obit being re-shared a lot on the exact day to the year that he died.

The same thing is happening with political stories from the past 3 years, but I see the papers/sites actually sharing those on facebook and people start re-sharing them thinking they're current. Friends in that industry say so much has been automated and since the same things keep re-occuring in the news they get shared again.

p90jr you are spot-on; I didn't want to take the time to write that up so am glad that you did such an excellent job of explaining this phenomenon.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager