Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dig My Rig--Let's see your setup!

Picked up a beat up Eventide Eclipse and a new MioXL midi interface for Christmas. Ended up moving/reracking/rewiring everything. Very pleased with the new setup.

This is a great setup and looks very good !

I guess the computer/DAW setup is PC,- no ?

Which OS ? Win 7, 8.1 or 10 ?

I´m asking because I wanted a iConnectivity Mio10 which still supported Win7 SP1 Pro, but is discontinued unfortunately.

Now MioXL officially supports Win10 (or higher) and I wonder if it can be installed on a Win 7 Pro machine nonetheless ...

Are you satisfied w/ the MioXL, is it tight MIDI timing for outgoing MIDI to ext. hardware devices ?

Is it connected via network or USB ?

:)

A.C.

This is a great setup and looks very good !

I guess the computer/DAW setup is PC,- no ?

Which OS ? Win 7, 8.1 or 10 ?

I´m asking because I wanted a iConnectivity Mio10 which still supported Win7 SP1 Pro, but is discontinued unfortunately.

Now MioXL officially supports Win10 (or higher) and I wonder if it can be installed on a Win 7 Pro machine nonetheless ...

Are you satisfied w/ the MioXL, is it tight MIDI timing for outgoing MIDI to ext. hardware devices ?

Is it connected via network or USB ?

:)

A.C.

Thank you. The PC is a home built Windows 10 (version 1909) computer, running Cubase. I was using a classic Motu Midi Xpress XT USB, but I ran out of channels, and wanted to move to Midi over USB where able (Prophets, Moog, Integra, FA all support Midi over USB). I had looked at the Mio10 before, but it did not support changing routing without the computer. When I saw the new MioXL did, I jumped on it. The new knob and screen are very useful, and changing routing works well. I have everything connected via USB to the computer, no ethernet for now. If I ever hit the channel limit for USB, I'll look into that, but it is unnecessary for me at this time.

Quite honestly, I don't have enough experience to be able to determine if the midi timing is tight. If you could explain a test for me, I would be happy to do so. Everything seems to work well for me.

The downside to the Mio is the complete lack of documentation - no user guide exists for the software. It took me a few hours to set up my routings utilizing the "program and pray" method. They have some quickstart videos that are woefully inadequate. Someone with more experience may have more luck.

Happy to answer any questions.

Thank you. The PC is a home built Windows 10 (version 1909) computer,...

I had looked at the Mio10 before, but it did not support changing routing without the computer.

...the new MioXL ... The new knob and screen are very useful, and changing routing works well.

I have everything connected via USB to the computer, no ethernet for now.

If I ever hit the channel limit for USB, I'll look into that, but it is unnecessary for me at this time.

Quite honestly, I don't have enough experience to be able to determine if the midi timing is tight. If you could explain a test for me, I would be happy to do so. Everything seems to work well for me.

Well,- the only tests I know were related to 32Bit systems and DIN-MIDI only,- like Earthvegaconnections´ "MIDI-Test" application and Jay Levitt´s "MIDI Time" command-line tool.

You create a loop between a MIDI-In and a MIDI-Out of a given MIDI interface while the application creates MIDI traffic incl. SysEx and does measurements.

I have ´em archived and to my surprise just recognized both run on my Win7 Pro 64Bit system and recognize my via USB2 connected Edirol PCR300´s MIDI I/Os.

"MIDI Test" is an executable not requireing installation, it just runs from desktop or external drive.

When you want ´em, plz shoot a PM ´cause the websites for download are gone since a long time.

I´m really interested in using the rtp-MIDI over LAN solution, so I always try to grab info on this.

When working perfect, It would be ideal to connect several computers (p.ex. incl. a old Mac running Sounddiver 3.05) to a single MIDI interface by using the home router or a network switch.

Some say it will introduce latency issues, others say it´s the tightest solution available.

I really hoped you still use a Win7 PC and installation of the MioXL worked.

I imagine the interface and MIDI driver work w/ Win7, but the editor software might come up w/ issues or just only the driver/editor-installer.

The downside to the Mio is the complete lack of documentation - no user guide exists for the software. It took me a few hours to set up my routings utilizing the "program and pray" method. They have some quickstart videos that are woefully inadequate.

Doesn´t sound good.

Thank you for all the info.

A.C.

Here's my current rig from a recent show at a dinner-type club. A Roland Jupiter-80 over a Yamaha S70XS on my right and a Nord Electro 6D-61 on my left. The club looked pretty nice, so I decided to dress up the X stands with Stretchy Screens.

459.thumb.jpg.b69e0b6f9fe2b65e3eec188ed592257c.jpg

460.thumb.jpg.c6d336949ccf297cdb730568324f2ddd.jpg

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Hey wineandkeys, the stretchy screens make a big difference, nice job!

Thanks! I hide a Mackie 1202VLZ mixer under the S70XS, so there's a lot of cables going to and from it. The screens really hide the mess.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

• 1 month later...

I use a two-keyboard rig consisting of a Yamaha P121 on the bottom and a Nord Electro 5D on top. The stand is a Baby Spider Pro.

IMG_0311.JPG

The P121 sits on the stand"s support arms. I wanted to get the NE5 as close to the P121 as possible (though leaving a small gap to get to the buttons on the P121). To support the Nord, I bought a K&M bracket that attaches directly to the stand, and screwed a block of wood to the bracket and glued a block of rubber on top of the wood â this setup holds up the back of the Nord. (I leave the support bracket on the stand and can still fold up the support arms into the column, though the bracket is easy to take off and put on.) To support the front of the Nord, I glued some rubber to shims (because the P121 slants toward the keyed) and then mounted them to the P121 with velcro.

IMG_0314.JPG

585.jpg.8f04cd69f633676eae5f8a0c1fe5a206.jpg

586.jpg.bad952dd73d794d54c837f9e5774ca56.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgot to include in the previous picsâ¦.

To mix and monitor, I first run the keyboards" outputs into a Rollls mini mixer and send its output into a Radial DI box, whose XLR output(s) goes to FOH (in mono or stereo). The mixer headphone out along with a feed from FOH goes into a Rolls PM55P so I can hear (and independently control the volume of) my keys in stereo and the band (in mono) through IEMs.

IMG_0322.JPG

On the back, I've mounted a small power strip and plug in the wall warts of the two Rolls and the P121. Then I only need to plug in this power strip and the power cord for the Nord.

IMG_0323.JPG

587.jpg.8bde267465f825781ce46d2c3d263286.jpg

588.jpg.daef0315f0b8cc2e66a880492e10335d.jpg

Love this rig, Math&Music! This reminds me of my SK2 rig, where I play organ on top manual and e-piano on bottom manual. Your placement of the two keyboards is so close to one another, in a great way. You do have to schlep two boards, but your rig eliminates my compromise of the organ action on the piano, and you get a wider (and better?) pallet of sounds between the two boards.

Love this rig, Math&Music! This reminds me of my SK2 rig, where I play organ on top manual and e-piano on bottom manual. Your placement of the two keyboards is so close to one another, in a great way. You do have to schlep two boards, but your rig eliminates my compromise of the organ action on the piano, and you get a wider (and better?) pallet of sounds between the two boards.

Thanks! Yes, that's what I had in mind. I like the close placement of the two manuals on an organ, but I come from a piano background and find playing piano less enjoyable on a semi-weighted keyboard. And this combination of sound palettes works perfectly for me, but I don't use complicated splits or synth programming. My focus is AP, EP B3, and clav, and I can use the Nord's samples for specific parts (e.g., horns on Radar Love). Although I have to take two boards, fortunately they're both pretty light and the entire rig is fairly low maintenance. And if I need to do a quick on/off, like playing one set in the middle of a charity show with several bands, I only take the Nord, a stand, and one gig bag.

Incidentally, when I get back home, I only need to unpack the two keyboards and the iPad. Everything else is in place (e.g., I have two sets of pedals). I also us an OnStage Z stand at home. I bought the two tier version, but didn't need the second tier support arms, only the piece in the back that holds up the second tier. I put some rubber on the top of that piece, and then I can rest the back of the Nord on that. Initially I wasn't going to use the second tier support arms at all, but then it occurred to me that I could use them to support the music holder that came with the P121. This pic shows how it looks without the Nord in place...

IMG_0324.JPG

589.jpg.9140d360b523bf84d43ae6c85e48a6c6.jpg

Picked up a beat up Eventide Eclipse and a new MioXL midi interface for Christmas. Ended up moving/reracking/rewiring everything. Very pleased with the new setup.

jd4CLKZ.jpg

ftep6DO.jpg

OL3KSNx.jpg

What a super-organized bad*** setup that is.

U1 | NP | NS3 | NE3 HP | K10

Thanks! Yes, that's what I had in mind. I like the close placement of the two manuals on an organ, but I come from a piano background and find playing piano less enjoyable on a semi-weighted keyboard. And this combination of sound palettes works perfectly for me, but I don't use complicated splits or synth programming. My focus is AP, EP B3, and clav, and I can use the Nord's samples for specific parts (e.g., horns on Radar Love). Although I have to take two boards, fortunately they're both pretty light and the entire rig is fairly low maintenance. And if I need to do a quick on/off, like playing one set in the middle of a charity show with several bands, I only take the Nord, a stand, and one gig bag.

I totally dig it, and it sounds like we have similar needs in terms of sounds, playing style, etc. If I return to a two board setup, you've given me a perfect template!

This is from a recent gig - thought I'd see if this rig would work out. My lightest rig ever - Studiologic Numa Compact 2 and Mellotron Micro.

Our electric viol player takes over a lot of the leads I used to do - he can sound like flutes (for Lowdown), wawa guitar, brass, anything! So I can get by with fewer sounds.

http://flyboyfilms.tv/Aethellis/Ells%20lite%20rig.jpg

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

This is the rig I use for gigs and is a favorite out of all the different gear I've had through the years. MOXF's into a Key Largo feeding Yamaha DXR's for stage monitors in stereo, sounds great! .

595.thumb.jpg.157c52482c510f7d40b98f7f135ad7ca.jpg

596.thumb.jpg.76e218d967c7d898b109ac7c1b4d346f.jpg

Yamaha MOXF8, MOXF6, Radial Key Largo, Yamaha DXR 10's

A new office accessory for my 60th birthday:

Nice! The whole rig or just the lower manual? Either way, :cool::thu:

(I also have an Easy button in my studio. :D )

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

This is from a recent gig - thought I'd see if this rig would work out. My lightest rig ever - Studiologic Numa Compact 2 and Mellotron Micro.

Our electric viol player takes over a lot of the leads I used to do - he can sound like flutes (for Lowdown), wawa guitar, brass, anything! So I can get by with fewer sounds.

http://flyboyfilms.tv/Aethellis/Ells%20lite%20rig.jpg

Cool!!

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

Here is my new couch potato rig:

http://www.stickmanor.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/casio_ipad_trim_med.jpg

- Casio CTS-S300 with built-in speakers (powered by rechargeable batteries)

- iPad mini 5 with assorted apps (Korg Module/Ivory, Neo Soul Keys, Sampletank, various soft synths)

- short 3.5mm audio cable from iPad to Casio external audio

- USB to lightning adapter from Casio to iPad

- All of above velcro'd together

- optionally a sustain pedal

Light on the lap, great sounds, no extraneous cords hanging off it and pretty nice feeling unweighted keyboard; I have no problem playing reasonable piano stuff on it. Very happy with this one.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Light ?

You obviously forgot the pool table in your rig.

:D

A.C.

If that were my set up I guarantee that sooner or later I would be going for some serious reverse-English and loft the cueball right onto the keyboard, busting a key or a knob. 'Cause that's how I roll yo.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Now you've got me thinking. I've been considering putting together a 'throw a keyboard under my arm and go to a party' rig for occasional sing-along type events. I've got a Casio PX-350 and an old iPAD 4S. Any recommendations for a good iPad audio out to Casio ext. audio in, and Casio USB MIDI to Ligthning adapter?

thanks

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Now you've got me thinking. I've been considering putting together a 'throw a keyboard under my arm and go to a party' rig for occasional sing-along type events. I've got a Casio PX-350 and an old iPAD 4S. Any recommendations for a good iPad audio out to Casio ext. audio in, and Casio USB MIDI to Ligthning adapter?

thanks

Oh, I don't have anything special.

On the audio, it's a standard 3.5mm stereo audio cable with right angle connectors and is only a foot long. For the PX-350, I think you would have to get a 3.5mm stereo to dual 1/4 phone plug cable.

On the USB-> lightning: it's just a short micro-USB ->USB cable and then into the standard Apple lightning camera kit connector. The PX-350 would probably be a standard USB cable -> Apple CCK.

Before I got the iPad mini, I was using our family iPad Air 2 and got pretty bad ground loop noise when connecting the audio back into the Casio external input. This was solved by inserting a USB Ground Loop Breaker (I got the ifi iDefender 3.0) in the USB path. But with the iPad mini I've found I don't need it.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

filename

Thanks Sam,

I picked up these* on Amazon, arriving today. I have all the rest of the interfacing stuff. Looking forward to playing with it. Now to figure out which of the gazillion available apps I can actually get some use out of.

*Well hell. The attachment manager is having issues. Casting a "Database error only visible to forum administrators" error when I try to attach a jpg. Anyway I got the Apple lightning to USB camera adapter and a 3.5mm TRS to dual RCA audio cable. I have RCA to 1/4" phono adapters.

-Mark Twain

I picked up these* on Amazon, arriving today. I have all the rest of the interfacing stuff. Looking forward to playing with it. Now to figure out which of the gazillion available apps I can actually get some use out of.

I find that I spend most of my time in Module (with the Ivory Grand Piano add-on) and the Neo-Soul Keys app. Frankly, those two libraries actually sound as good or better than the equivalents on my Kronos and Stage 3. Amazing times for musicians.

I have a bunch of other cool synth apps, but most of my time on this mini-Rig is basically standard piano practice stuff (improv on songs, chord voicing/scales) while I'm watching something on TV. I do really like the Arturia iSem app...don't have that old Oberheim sound on any of my other gear.

www.stickmanor.com

Yes. Korg Module is definitely on my list. I read a (2 year old) review which said there is no way to assign splits or layers. Is that still true with the newer versions? Even so, I imagine I could call up one patch on the Casio and 'layer' the Module patch on top of it. Sorry for the NOOB questions, but this is my first foray into this sort of thing (iPAD vs conventional keyboards).

thanks

-Mark Twain

Yes. Korg Module is definitely on my list. I read a (2 year old) review which said there is no way to assign splits or layers. Is that still true with the newer versions? Even so, I imagine I could call up one patch on the Casio and 'layer' the Module patch on top of it. Sorry for the NOOB questions, but this is my first foray into this sort of thing (iPAD vs conventional keyboards).

thanks

Module has a Performance Module expansion pack that lets you do splits/layers for $30. I don't have it.

There are other iPad apps which let you do splits/layers/audio routing/etc among various iPad apps. So for example, with something like AUM, you can assign the bottom half of the keyboard to Korg Module and the top half to AniMoog. It's probably more complicated to use than something like the internal split mechanism of Korg Module..but obviously more flexible since you can include other apps. There are other similar apps besides AUM; I just happen to be vaguely familiar with that one.

www.stickmanor.com

Well. In the "nothing is ever easy" category, I hitched up my trusty iPAD to the CASIO this weekend via USB and audio cabling. Absolutely seamless. Should have done it years ago. Went to download Korg Module which popped up a helpful message: "Download requires IOS 11". Dead in the water. The last IOS supporting iPAD Gen 4 is 10.3.3. I downloaded a few less snooty apps, and they worked fine, but they were largely in the Bleep and Bloop category. Anyone have a suggestion for a one man band sort of app? Basically looking for a rompler to sit on my iPAD allowing me to pull up organs, strings, brass etc from presets. Maybe some sort of setlist feature too.

thanks for any ideas anyone.

-Mark Twain