Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer synths now available for pre-order

I was looking for something else and accidentally stumbled on some of the Behringer Moog modular clone items:

CP3A-M mixer 14HP $79.99

923 filters and noise 8HP $79.99

961 interface 21HP $79.00

995 attenuators 8HP $59.99

911 envelope generator 8HP $59.99

962 sequential switch 8HP $59.99

902 VCA 8HP $59.99

They are currently available for pre-order. No word on delivery dates. There's no information on VCOs, etc. yet. For that matter, even the Behringer site seems loath to admit that their Moog clones exist.

No, I didn't see anything about the Roland modules, nor did I see anything about the ARP2600 clone. Personally, I'm more focused on the 2600 at the moment, but am open to temptation on the modular units. (Lead me not into temptation; I can find the way myself...) Had these been available, say, two years ago, I'd have been all over them. Even as recently as one year ago, I'd have given them serious consideration, but now I've got other Eurorack units that fill those functions so I'm not in a big hurry to snap them up.

NOTE: For anyone who's not been keeping track of this, these are Eurorack scale units, not Moog-sized. Don't buy one and expect it to be a drop-in replacement in your true-blue Moog rack (or synthesizers.com or...).

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am more interested in their Oberheim OBX or OBXa clone. They sent one of their Beta units off for FIRMWARE last year. I haven't read anything further about it. Behringer has been releasing other units, but so far, now Oberheim clone.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Fortunately, I don't really have to choose so much as find/make room for whatever my gear lust homes in on. I'm pretty tightly packed as it is. Finding room for another keyboard will be difficult. If it's rack/Eurorack I can shoehorn in a few more pieces before I start having to hang things from the ceiling. I draw the line at having things at floor level the way some people do.

What do you do with those? Play them with your toes? Jeez.

If you say "you MIDI them off keyboards that you can reach," I'm going to come back with, "Well, then why not just buy a rack mount piece and have done with it?" I mean, I got the Yamaha Motif XS rack rather than try to find room for the keyboard version of the XS. Got all the sounds in 1/10 the space and saved money, too. The ARP2600 will be pretty much the same story. Rack 'em and stack 'em, then MIDI the hell out of them.

That said, I am sympathetic to the idea of polyphony. I find the polychain strategy frustrating. So near and yet so far. Harrumph!

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Fortunately, I don't really have to choose so much as find/make room for whatever my gear lust homes in on. I'm pretty tightly packed as it is. Finding room for another keyboard will be difficult. If it's rack/Eurorack I can shoehorn in a few more pieces before I start having to hang things from the ceiling. I draw the line at having things at floor level the way some people do.

What do you do with those? Play them with your toes? Jeez.

If you say "you MIDI them off keyboards that you can reach," I'm going to come back with, "Well, then why not just buy a rack mount piece and have done with it?" I mean, I got the Yamaha Motif XS rack rather than try to find room for the keyboard version of the XS. Got all the sounds in 1/10 the space and saved money, too. The ARP2600 will be pretty much the same story. Rack 'em and stack 'em, then MIDI the hell out of them.

That said, I am sympathetic to the idea of polyphony. I find the polychain strategy frustrating. So near and yet so far. Harrumph!

Grey

Oh, I'm totally out of space for new keyboards. If I weren't renting/living with roomates and moving seemingly all the time I could probably put together a more efficient studio room, but with the situation as it is, my keyboard setup is whatever I can get set up in my room. I always end up with a keyboard or two in the closet or under a bed. However, although I may not be able to use them all at once, they do all HAVE a specific use, and when I'm recording I end up using stuff that I don't normally keep set up all the time. I've always wanted a CS80 and if an affordable, slim profiled clone comes out, I can genuinely say that would render my Moog Opus obsolete. At this point the only way I can fathom more keyboards is direct replacements and upgrades.

To be honest, I'm not sure what I'd do as a replacement/upgrade for any of the keyboards I've got. For instance, I've got a Kronos, so where do I go from there? Okay, it's a Kronos X 73, so maybe I could go for an Kronos 2 88, but still...it wouldn't make a big difference in my life. The main limitation is still me, not the Korg, and likely always will be. I've got a Hammond A-100. Could I get a B or a C? Sure. But to what end? What would it gain me? Nothing, really.

I did get a Yamaha MOXF8 last summer. My MM8's still here, but its MIDI oddities were making my life more difficult than it had to be. I suppose that would count as an upgrade, but it's already over and done with. Wouldn't mind a Voyager XL as an upgrade for my plain-Jane Voyager, but dem things is 'spensive, and I'm not going to drop that sort of money on a keyboard short of winning the lottery...and that ain't gonna happen. (Hell, if I'd kept the money I've wasted on lottery tickets over the years, I could probably buy an XL.)

That said, there are things I want, but in truth none of them rise to the level of Crash Priority One, gotta-have-it-or-die. That includes the 2600, mind you. I want one, but I'm pretty well set to cover the sounds I hear in my mind so my waiting is of the patient sort.

Back when the Behringer Model D was coming out I started my (in)famous Ship Dates Keep Slipping thread, not so much because I was wetting my pants in anticipation, but because the ever-changing availability dates fascinated me. I was never able to fathom the reason for the changes. Obviously the D was going to be a runaway best seller and pre-orders were stacking up, so you'd think that the projected shipping date would keep slipping further into the future. You start with, say, 75 orders, then 125, then 360, 1100, etc., right? That's balanced against Behringer's production schedule but...Musician's Friend, where I had placed my order, had no way of knowing Behringer's actual production and availability--they would, at best, have knowledge of their allocation of (I think it was) 500 units. But that's a fixed number, which they should easily be able to map against their waiting list. Any new pre-orders should then go in the queue and the anticipated ship date would--theoretically--start moving later and later in the year. Only, that's not the way it worked. MF's delivery dates kept bouncing around like a pinball, sometimes sooner, sometimes later, with no rhyme or reason that I could discern. Weird.

Grey

To be honest, I'm not sure what I'd do as a replacement/upgrade for any of the keyboards I've got.
This is how I feel. The keyboards I already own have not been exploited for all they're worth.

I'm on the edge of retirement with cash to burn and there are too many choices out there. My rational brain says to buy Behringer's Odyssey and POLY D this year. Wait until next year for Behringer's OBX and CS-80.

Steve Coscia

I'm very curious about the 2600 clone....

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

My rational brain says to buy Behringer's Odyssey and POLY D this year. Wait until next year for Behringer's OBX and CS-80.

I just bought an Odyssey, Steve. Haven't had a chance to unbox it yet. Wanted a mono synth with full size keys at a specific price point and it was the winner.

Hope you get yours soon

:nopity:

To be honest, I'm not sure what I'd do as a replacement/upgrade for any of the keyboards I've got.
This is how I feel. The keyboards I already own have not been exploited for all they're worth.

I'm on the edge of retirement with cash to burn and there are too many choices out there. My rational brain says to buy Behringer's Odyssey and POLY D this year. Wait until next year for Behringer's OBX and CS-80.

Good grief I am thinking the exact thing but I sorta want the Model D but love the sweet tone on the Odyssey,

Contemplating on the Fantom but wanting more newer sounds from the Zen core engine.

Dave let us know about the Odyssey very interested?