Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Favorite Guitar

KuruPrionz

The Comfort Food Guitar thread is fun. For me it was about a certain "nostalgia", the guitars I wanted when I was younger.

For others it may mean something different and that is OK, this is just for fun.

So, below are photos of my main gigger. It is the current iteration of a work in progress. I've been obsessed with expression and this is my avenue to engender that. The notes inbetween the frets are easy to access.

Yep, a Strat and a Parts-O-Caster. The neck is a Warmoth, a true left-handed neck. Ebay score, I painted dots on the top side. This is Warmoth's widest neck - 1 7/8" wide at the nut. It is also a Fatback carve so it's huge. I have large hands, very comfortable for me.

I replaced the frets with Jascar Super Jumbo and then I did a full scallop on the fretboard. There is no friction with the fingerboard when you stretch a string. It takes a very light, relaxed touch to stay in tune. I don't press the strings down to stretch them, I bend them the way most of us do. Locking Hipshot tuners, I would prefer the Graph Tec Ratio tuners but I had these and they are very good. Much easier to do a quick string change, it means I can get away with bringing one guitar since I rarely break strings.

The body is from a Squier, I loved the color, it was thinner than a Fender and nice and light.

The pickups are EMG SA, note that there is no middle pickup. I like a 3 way switch and the sound of the neck/bridge pickups together. Also note that I covered the hole where the volume knob is usually located. I don't like it there. The knob closest to the strings is for an EMG SPC - a mid boost that I leave full up all the time. So I could just put it in the circuit under the pickguard I guess. The lowest knob is the volume, I hardly ever touch it, I've learned to adjust my volume on the fly by using a heavy pick and playing lightly or with more force as needed.

Most of my friends fear it or hate it. If you have a habit of playing with a firmer grip then it won't be as fun. I don't care, I can get all the sounds I need out of it. I do switch from clean to lead tones on my amp and once in while I will toss in some chorus but most of it comes from my hands and this guitar.

So, what do you love? We are all different, that's part of the fun. Cheers, Kuru

607.thumb.jpg.07552f6d434f79c579b31d5f59f4fa2f.jpg

608.thumb.jpg.f1d162707c7690c2ed6d5e50e7a3d035.jpg

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both DMB and I are with you Kuru on moving that volume knob on a Strat a little further away from the 1st E string. I accidently hit mine on the stock location and kill my volume...lots of players like the stock location for volume swells (not me as I don't use them). I have 3 Strats with EMG's and 2 of them have the volume knob moved away from the E string. One of them has the EXG and SPC. One of them has a Master Tone and Volume. The HH has a volume for each pickup, a master tone and a 3way. 3 different fretboards (maple, rosewood and ebony). SSS, HH and one with SSH pups. I like the idea of your bridge and neck pickup setting (kind of like a Tele). Hard to [pick] a favorite! I have never played on a scalloped fretboard so I can't comment on that but I don't care for the fatter necks. I have played on a Warmoth neck and they are very good quality and feel IMHO. I like the looks of the reverse headstocks, but have never used or tuned with one yet. That looks like a cool guitar! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I did the same with my Agile Strat Clone, I moved the volume control between where the volume and middle tone pots were, I then wired the tone control to all pups, and put dimes over the holes where the volume and tone control were. The other two guitars in the photo are long gone. The SG was one of the finest guitars that I ever owned. It needed nothing done when I took it out of the box, as it did when I sold it.

609.thumb.jpg.00abf2582880e9709bb9896f8504d1a8.jpg

At risk of repeating what I said in the "Comfort Food" thread, I have three; my two SG's and my Custom Legend.

My SG's are both 2003 SG Specials, one Ebony, as Gibson likes to call it, one Cherry Red. I've pulled ALL the Gibson hardware off of both of them, bridge, tailpiece, tuners, strap pegs, even the original "top hat" knobs. I've always hated those 'top hat' knobs; IMHO, they looked cheap, like someone had pulled parts off of an old radio. I've never liked the Kluson-style green plastic 'keystone' tuners, either. One old crank's opinion, I know . . .

In place of the Gibson hardware, I put Grover tuners, Schaller roller bridges, Schaller fine-tuning tailpieces, Schaller strap locks, and Gibson 'speed' knobs. (The photo of Eris, my Red SG, was taken before I put Gibson 'speed' knobs on her, and before I swapped the Ivory switch tip for black.) The after-market parts add weight & mass, and I think they add some stability, as well.

On my Ovation, I use Martin Silk & Steel strings. They're almost like flat wounds for A/E Guitars, warm, soft tone, easy on the fingers, fast-playing. Maybe if I were a finger-picker or a strummer, I'd want something a little heavier, .012's at least, but for me, S&S is just right.

612.thumb.jpg.61933ea24a64b55f7295c277ad1ebb7e.jpg

613.thumb.jpg.0115d00259b2d1ca171bf6ecddfed9a7.jpg

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Because I"m a guitar dabbler/collector, I really don"t have a true favorite. But I do have some I like more than others.

Of the several LPClones I own, my number 1 is a Black & White Reverend Rick Vito signature Hardtail. It has a P90 in the neck, and an oversized Supro style singlecoil in the bridge. Instead of the typical 3-way switch, there"s a rotary blend knob.

R48b1lO.jpg

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

@ DannyA, I like the concept of the blending knob and I would think it would be more useful in guitars with a single master volume control like a Strat or PRS. Having a volume control over each front and back pickup like an LP, allows me to leave them both up and then cut the volume on one or the other to get the treble or bass mix I want while in the middle position of a 3way. Give us a little more info on how the blending knob is used/adjusted? Very nice looking guitar (as are the others pics posted so far)... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

The controls are Tone, Bass Contour (essentially a tone control for your low end), Volume, and the Blend knob. Since- as you surmised- there is only one volume- the bend goes from 100% bridge/0% neck to 0% bridge/100% neck. Because of the way it"s wired up, the pickups cancel most of the hum.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Used to be ES-335s but I got fat and the guitars don"t hang right anymore. The back of the guitar tilts on my belly and faces down. Right now it"s my old butterscotch blackguard. It varies sometimes my whiteguard Esquire or my black Tele or my brown Tele.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The controls are Tone, Bass Contour (essentially a tone control for your low end), Volume, and the Blend knob. Since- as you surmised- there is only one volume- the bend goes from 100% bridge/0% neck to 0% bridge/100% neck. Because of the way it"s wired up, the pickups cancel most of the hum.

Very cool, thanks! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

1 I like playing my different guitars with different necks and feels, electronics, etc. Acoustic Taylor steel string, Acoustic Taylor nylon string, Acoustic Takamine Parlor steel string, Gibson LP, 3 Fender Strats (ebony, maple, rosewood), Epiphone ES-175, Conti Heirloom, Taylor T5, Taylor T3b...sold or gave away my Jag and Jazzmaster recently. My guitars may not all be pristine but they have few dings and I don't loan them out!

My "Favorite and Comfort" guitar is my semi-hollow archtop Conti Heirloom jazz guitar (which I waited for about 10 years to buy), so I'll post this on the other two threads as well too LOL!

Take care, Larryz

I like playing my different guitars with different necks and feels, electronics, etc. Acoustic Taylor steel string, Acoustic Taylor nylon string, Acoustic Takamine Parlor steel string, Gibson LP, 3 Fender Strats (ebony, maple, rosewood), Epiphone ES-175, Conti Heirloom, Taylor T5, Taylor T3b...sold or gave away my Jag and Jazzmaster recently. My guitars may not all be pristine but they have few dings and I don't loan them out! :cool:

My "Favorite and Comfort" guitar is my semi-hollow archtop Conti Heirloom jazz guitar (which I waited for about 10 years to buy), so I'll post this on the other two threads as well too LOL! :cool: :cool:

Take care, Larryz