Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Akai S5000 longshot

I'm probably the only person still using an Akai S5000. I definitely let it sit dormant for an extremely long time, but my rabid interest in Eurorack has brought the S5000 out of mothballs as a 16 out found-sound source.

But I have an internal IDE drive using the ultrarare SCSI-IDE adaptor. Would anyone know if either a PATA IDE SSD (I didn't even know they existed until now) or an IDE-SATA adaptor and a regular SSD would let me replace the very old IDE drive?

If that was an acronym salad to you, please disregard. I would just use Ak.sys and the USB port, but it's the slowest data transfer I have ever seen on an electronic device.

Anyone? I assume this is going to shoot down the topic page with no responses. :)

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow coool.....

I understood the acronym salad.....

I still have the Akai S612 with the MD280 disk drive. Bought it in the mid 80's. used it a ton. it's been in a box in a closet for about 20 years now ;)

As far as your situation, I don't know the technicalities of the old IDE or how the S5000 sees data. I do know that IDE-SATA adapters are relatively inexpensive. Good luck. I'll be curious to know if you find a solution and get it running.

I may just have to dig out my old S612....

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

wow coool.....

How about bringing your S612 into the modern era?

I'm downright amused to see USB and SD card upgrades for vintage gear, but it also seems too anal-retentive to me. I went through Floppy Disk Heck with a Mirage, so I can see the appeal up to a point, but are those sounds so precious that they're worth that amount of work? Is the library that useful? Do you want to sample on the fly that way, that much?

The S612 used Quick Disks for storage, like the Roland S10 sampler. Those barely held a quick drum hit or a sneeze, so it was/is a fringe art form to make much of them. If its a hobby, where you love fiddling with it for its own sake, great. Otherwise, do what I did. I weighed the loss of a few treasured Mirage sounds against the huge gains of the next big leap and got on with it. I don't dismiss Eno's liking for the unpredictable in old gear, but in this case, its too much like building a ship in a bottle. Says the guy with thousands of sounds on his drives. :/

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I still have an S3000XL with the filter board and have historically used it with SCSI Jaz drives and a SCSI hard drive. It's been in storage for a while. It has seemed to be pretty forgiving with the various SCSI drives I've used and I would have to think that any combination that has been proven to work with another device that has SCSI should work with the Akai. I cant imagine we are talking a large spend for the adaptors, right? Just try it and I think you have a very high possibility for success. Incidentally, I shared my SCSI Jaz drive with my Mac classic and Triton Pro. Can't all use the same disks, but the drive worked with them all at the time, whether Mac formatted, Triton formatted, or S3000XL formatted.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I've seen replacements for the floppy drive in my Triton pro as well involving USB and sticks or external drives as well as SD card replacements.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I've seen replacements for the floppy drive in my Triton pro as well involving USB and sticks or external drives as well as SD card replacements.

I narrowly missed the replacement drive era by leaning on a Korg 01Wfd. Too early! If there'd been a sane display & button replacement option, I might have gone for this. Instead, I Autosampled it to the bone. Took a while, as I had a bulging shoebox full of disks. Sound familiar? :laugh:

Now... may I borrow your 16-voice Moog One for a month so I can Autosample the bleep out of it?

Because I'll be buying one of my own on the 45th of Get Real Monkey Boy. :rimshot::D

~ John Cleese

I stiill dig old school samplers. :D

That SATA IDE adapter might work.

The SSD will probably have to be FAT formatted.

Rock on with the S5000. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Yeah, I have replaced my Triton ProX"s floppy with a USB stick. It"s really convenient to have all my patches available.

I would just go with another SCSI or IDE drive, but I"m trying to reduce noise, and every spinning platter I"ve tried is annoying in my small studio. But very astute recommendations!

"For instance" is not proof.

wow coool.....

The S612 used Quick Disks for storage, like the Roland S10 sampler. Those barely held a quick drum hit or a sneeze, so it was/is a fringe art form to make much of them. If its a hobby, where you love fiddling with it for its own sake, great.

Yeah I resurrect old stuff simply because it's fun when I'm bored. Now and then I'll find a hidden gem of a sound and sample it into my new gear.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I don't have an S5000, but, if you think there would be anything relevant in the old Akai yahoo groups listed in this thread, and have a PC (not usable on Mac in their current form, hoping to rectify that), I can send you the archives as they are right now if you'd like.

List of Archived Yahoo Groups

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

>> Yeah I resurrect old stuff simply because it's fun when I'm bored. Now and then I'll find a hidden gem of a sound and sample it into my new gear.

That's a time-honored tradition. How many times have I recorded some early wacky crap to apply via boom-box cassette, with three tracks of increasing noise floor? How about the time a pal dragged his old Kawai K1m out and I recorded some of its best into a digi-recorder? Or the occasional free WAV someone posts that become a great percussion drop-in moment a year later? Then there is my tapestry of 3rd-party sound sets, Puremagnetik oddities and 2nd/3rd sets of modified presets wrought by my own fevered hand. So yeah, I can easily relate to the odd, multi-year/decade, Picassoid process of patch collection. Its not at all OCD, OCD, OCD, knock knock knock Penny. :whistle:

~ John Cleese

I'm probably the only person still using an Akai S5000...

Another S5000 owner & user here. Look into installing a SCSI2SD adapter instead, that's what I did. You can use a PC or Mac to drag files - AND converted ISO images of sample CDs - straight to an SD card that can be as large as you want, I'm for instance using a 60GB one!

I think version v5.1 is only guaranteed to work, I'm not sure about the newer v6.

Installation is pretty straightforward, you just need to buy a 3D-printed bracket for it (I used Shapeways, seemed to be the only option: https://www.shapeways.com/product/FU99CQK4L/scsi2sd-v6-bracket?optionId=61467535&li=more-from-shop). Then you take out the floppy drive and replace it with the bracket and the adapter on it. The trickiest part is navigating the cumbersome SCSI cable to the SCSI slot inside the sampler. Once you get that done you get the software that installs the stuff needed on the SD card.

Because the S5K supports AutoLoad, you can get a nice little rack synth module this way too. The only limitation is its internal memory, even when maxed.