Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Neat Beecaster - Questions?

I've read the specs. YouTube has videos, including Craig Anderton being reviewd by Mitch Gallagher of Sweetwater.

I am considering using the Beecaster more as part of mini-mobile recording system than a podcaster mic. The multiple patterns combined with the specs are compelling. A small bag with a laptop running DAW of choice, Beecaster and headphones would be a step up from my Tascam DR-40 for versatility. Or, I could use both and align a countdown later, handy for live work. We have a monthly open mic night in a great sounding room with a Steinway baby grand. I could also rent the room by the hour during off times if I wanted to track in a great sounding room.

Plus sometimes I collaborate with other songwriters, this could happen anywhere. Sampling stuff also comes to mind. We have an insane 4th of July celebration down by the water, some spendid explosions.

Here is what I am wondering.

First, will the built-in headphones play back tracks from the DAW while you record? That would allow overdubs on location, very handy. This is my priority question, it could be a deal breaker if it won't.

Second, the USB cable is touted as being specifically for "audio" but since the conversion is done at the microphone isn't it just transmitting data? This is more curiosity than important.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses!!! Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kuru, I had a Beecaster for a while when I worked at the magazine, a loaner from NEAT that stayed with the company when I left. My experience with it is a bit dated, but I think it does offer a direct monitor blend to give you what you need.

I would also recommend the LEWITT DGT 650, which is the best USB mic I've ever used. Sounds great and has a ton of cool features. I haven't used the DGT 450, its smaller and more affordable sibling, but a look at the specs indicates fewer fancy features but probably very little in the way of noticeably poorer sound.

I have no idea what a USB Audio cable is. In the case of some mics, it's a proprietary cable that hooks to the mic using a sturdier multipin connector; that allows you to swap out cables easily for connection to various kinds of computers. The DGT 650 has a breakout box that uses one of these. But for standard data, about the only thing an "audio" data cable should have vs. any other kind is a ferrite choke (that cylindrical lump near one end or the other) to help minimize noise.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music