Print Thread
Quick Jeff Beck question
#3030460 02/25/20 05:00 PM
Marzzz Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Hey guitaristas,

I was just trying to figure out what color was Jeff Beck's main strat (not the one with the reverse headstock); it looks almost yellow under stage lights, but I am wondering if it is actually Olympic White? Reason I am asking is that I am looking to get a strat-like guitar from another guitar manufacturer, and I just like the look. I do know that Jeff Beck's actual strat has very little to do with his Fender signature model. OK, back to my keyboards, thanks!

GP Island
Re: Quick Jeff Beck question
Marzzz #3030465 02/25/20 05:20 PM
10k Club
10k Club
https://www.vintageguitar.com/24640/fender-custom-colors-in-the-1960s/

Here's color chart info article for your review. 58-62 Fender used Olympic White...some of the older Fenders have a little yellow tinge that comes with age. Not sure if it answers the question with regard to Jeff Beck's guitar but the chart gives the GM color codes. Also stage lighting can make the guitar change colors. I like the older white Fenders with the red tortoise shell pickguards the best. Just a personal preference. Good luck with your search Marzzz!
cool

Take care, Larryz
Marzzz #3030487 02/25/20 06:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
To further complcate things, as a photographer I know how important it is to use the correct color balance setting when taking pictures.
That said, many times it is impossible because of mixed lighting sources.

One could try correcting the white balance in Photoshop and at least get close that way.

HUGE fan of Jeff Beck's artistry here!

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Larryz #3030502 02/25/20 07:47 PM
Marzzz Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Larryz
https://www.vintageguitar.com/24640/fender-custom-colors-in-the-1960s/

Here's color chart info article for your review. 58-62 Fender used Olympic White...some of the older Fenders have a little yellow tinge that comes with age. Not sure if it answers the question with regard to Jeff Beck's guitar but the chart gives the GM color codes. Also stage lighting can make the guitar change colors.

Thanks Larry, that is really helpful! I have been going back-and-forth among Olympic White, "Mellow Yellow," Ocean Turquoise and even occasionally Surf Green! My other guitar is actually a headless 24-fret HSS, but I decided if I really wanted proper Strat tone (including the neck pickup) I needed to just get an SSS 22 fret Strat-like guitar. I know pretty much all of the other details (rosewood, medium jumbo, white pick guard and covers, pickup choice, etc.) but I am stuck on the color, being unnecessarily indecisive. I am a huge fan of Jeff Beck, and just like the look of his main guitar. I have seen elsewhere that Olympic White seems to be an extremely popular choice (aside from 2- and 3-tone bursts, which I don't favor), and have seen it range from white to yellow. And no, I am not doing the "distressed" thing...!

Marzzz #3030504 02/25/20 08:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The yellowed white look originally was the result of the lacquer clear coat yellowing.
It also made the lighter blue colors green.

A few years back somebody brought in a pink Hamer Steve Stevens model and the clear had yellowed. It was pretty hideous.

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Marzzz #3030521 02/25/20 09:44 PM
10k Club
10k Club
+1 Marzzz, I will never understand the Fender "relic" or "distressed' thing. Why anyone would take a chain saw and acid to a perfectly nice looking Strat is beyond my...LOL! My remaining 3 Strats are all Black with white pearl pickguards and EMG's. I have to pull them out of the closet and change batteries and fire them up just for fun. They are all in pristine condition. I sold my jag and jazzmaster which were Olympic white with red tortoise shell pick guards. Love that color combo! cool

Last edited by Larryz; 02/26/20 02:55 PM. Reason: sp.

Take care, Larryz
Marzzz #3030570 02/26/20 06:53 AM
S
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
I've seen him in concert a lot in the last decade. I've only seen him go through two guitars at most, but usually just one per concert. They all look Olympic white to me.

Scott Fraser

Link Copied to Clipboard