Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yuja Wang concert tonight

Not my normal thing, but my wife got free tickets through her company, so I'm tagging along. I'll report back on the experience. The audience appears to be mostly old folks.

Unfortunately I don't know how to reduce the size of images, so attachment manager not allowing me to add images here. But I can tell you there's a big piano on the stage, nothing else. Sold out. I would never pay these prices, but apparently a lot of folks will!

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Pic attached (not of show, no photos allowed while she's playing).

She's wearing a long yellow dress that's very form fitting.

It's a piano recital.

They gave instructions prior to the start... no cell phones, and no coughing. They gave out throat lozenges.

It's a fairly large venue, and the sound level is low.

Her playing is great, but I'm finding myself daydreaming.

Some of the pieces include compositions from

Galuppi, Chopin, Bach, Brahms, Scriabin, Ravel, 14 in total. Raising my hand... I have not recognized a single one.

After finishing each piece, she stands up and does this rapid gymnastic-like bow.

Just before she raised her hands to start the first piece, someone's cell phone went off.

605.thumb.jpg.7aebc12274b6635a2e022ad12e228cbc.jpg

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

After intermission, she came out in a new outfit, a gold sequined dress worthy of an Oscar red carpet.

Her playing was very dynamic, from soft & slow to hard and fast.

More cell phones going off in the soft moments.

She did not use any sheet music. Just her and the piano.

She would periodically walk off stage between songs. She did this about 5-6 times during the performance. I was curious what she was doing back there.

In a variety of spots, she seemed to use the sustain pedal way too much. That might have been partially due to where we were sitting, about 60 ft away in the loge? The sound may have washed out a bit before it got to us? Take this criticism with a huge grain of salt. She has more talent with her left hand that I have in my left and right hands combined, along with both my feet, my elbows and my dick. In a thousand lifetimes I could never reach her level of skill.

In the 2nd half, an announcement came over the system, "...the artist would like to make an adjustment to the instrument, thank you for your patience." Then a piano tuner walked on stage and started to work on the piano. The audience gave him an ovation when he walked on stage.

When the tuner was finished, the crowd gave him another ovation.

She finished up with a complex piece, and in the climax she did this rapid fire hand action move which was so fast it was blurry. The audience seemed to love it, they rewarded her with a standing ovation.

All in all, not my cup of tea. Many of the pieces had wall to wall dissonance, seemingly never resolving. I grew up playing classical, and didn't like it so much, and I gravitated towards Hendrix & Zeppelin.

• Like 1

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I'm mainly a Jazz cat but I would of loved to see Yuja Wang she is the best there is today. I've read a few interviews with her and she is so down to earth and listens to all types of music. I remember on interview she was talk about a piece (sorry forgot which piece) and said I can hear Rhinina in that one. She add a lot of feel to her interpretation of the masters.

After intermission, she came out in a new outfit, a gold sequined dress worthy of an Oscar red carpet.

She would periodically walk off stage between songs. She did this about 5-6 times during the performance. I was curious what she was doing back there.

This also happened at the last concert I attended. It was a young Russian pianist whose name I forget. I grew to resent all these trips offstage - what was the point, to milk more applause?

What she should have done was take a bit longer break before the demanding end of her program. She visibly tired at the end.

Moe

---

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

In the 2nd half, an announcement came over the system, "...the artist would like to make an adjustment to the instrument, thank you for your patience." Then a piano tuner walked on stage and started to work on the piano. The audience gave him an ovation when he walked on stage.

When the tuner was finished, the crowd gave him another ovation.

Gold!

Reminds me of a story my father-in-law told me: In the 1970's he went to a Ravi Shankar concert, and the maestro got really upset with the audience. Turns out they applauded him for tuning his sitar, and it really offended him.

• 2 years later...