Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

Not my music, per se, but happy to be a tiny part of this beautiful tune.

Juan Manuel and I met 12 years ago at the Red Bull Music Academy in Toronto. We reconnected when I went to Mexico City this past summer. On my last day in town he told me, "I have a couple of tunes I kind of hear Hammond on," and we went to the studio. I've always loved his writing and his voice. We're three keyboardists on this tune, two of us named Dave. Juan plays Wurly and toy piano, Dave #1 plays acoustic piano, and I'm playing NI Vintage Organ C3.

[video:youtube]

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

• 2 weeks later...

After exhausting all the tricks I know to keep my Tascam US428 /Cubase 5.0 DAW operational, especially since Windows 10, I honorably retired them. I replaced them with a Zoom Livetrak L12. 12 track recorder direct to SD card, audio interface to a computer, and live mixer combined into one unit. Big learning curve so I'm actually in the process of RTFM. Just for the giggles I decided to attempt recording individual tracks for drums, bass (first time using both hands), and piano. Drums are a Beat Buddy patch. Bass is my Squier CV60's Jazz Fretless, and (Lets hear it for Mike Martin) the piano was the #2 Grand Piano patch of my Casiotone CT-S300. This is nowhere near pro grade, but it's enough for an old fart like myself to be amazed at the quality of sound you can get for a few bucks nowadays.

Adjust your volume down before hitting play - This unit has tons of headroom

Zoom L12 with Casiotone CT-S300

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

lightbg, that's some crazy good playing you are doing on keys and bass at the same time.

I like the idea of a Zoom multitrack recorder - I am still using an old Korg D3200, which can capture 12 tracks at once.

Was the audio for the video of Jingle Bells also recorded via the Zoom L12 and then mixed afterwards, or did you just take the audio from your live mix you sent out the front of hall at that venue?

I like the AP sound - is that a Nord Electro 73? Which of the Nord AP sounds are you using in the intro on the video?

harmonizer,

Thanks for the compliment. On the Christmas vid the audio was captured by the Zoom Q2n camera, and I boosted it with my video editor (Pinnacle System 22). No EQ at all, just that the camera records overly soft so it needs a db adjustment. I run the bass and the Nord Electro 4D in stereo to a Radial Key Largo then out to the two QSC K12.2's you can see behind me. No front of house here.

The Zoom Livetrak L12 is a whole new dimension for me. I can't believe when I started in this business a Tascam Portastudio cassette recorder was state of the art. Now it seems like I have abilities that major studios had only a few years ago.

The EP is a stock Nord Rhodes with a touch of onboard chorus. Even though I consider myself a Hammond player the EP patch fills the background yet leaves enough holes for the vocals to shine through.

Ain't live music a hoot?

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

• 2 weeks later...

Necessary this time of year

https://soundcloud.com/pigeon-city/korg-m1-legacy-christmas-medley

https://soundcloud.com/pigeon-city/pigeon-citys-studio-band-christmas-medley-2

https://soundcloud.com/pigeon-city/pigeon-citys-studio-band-christmas-medley-1

https://soundcloud.com/pigeon-city/donuts-for-christmas-feat-chicky-wicky-the-rubber-chicken (Warning: if you find rubber chickens annoying, you may or may not (most likely the latter) like this)

https://soundcloud.com/pigeon-city/when-youre-good-on-christmas-with-chicky-wicky (Same warning)

(same warning sort of but with a plush swan)

Just warning you all: The last 3 may or may not be cringy and weird. I was like that last year.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

And now for something completely different: my second group, Komalea, that take the apriori approach of a full improvised performance; a couple of videos extracted from a concert in September:

Me with my new melodica:

https://www.facebook.com/komaleamusic/videos/1049137895444468/

And something groovy:

https://www.facebook.com/komaleamusic/videos/456530574989151/

And a home made "studio" recording :

Well, full improvisation means taking a risk, and need a level that we may not have, but it is a lot of fun; comments welcome !!!

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

• 1 month later...

Today would have been my friend Dan Gaibel's 46th birthday. As some of you know (I had a long thread going in "Shameless Plugs" for awhile, but those have an expiration date, it seems), he passed away last year after a ten-month battle with stage IV melanoma. He and I had spent a few years as casual local music scene acquaintances, but in early 2017, he hired me to work with him at his day job, and he became something of an older brother to me, a huge influence, musical and otherwise. I'm very grateful for having those two years of really knowing him and learning from him before he passed.

In his honor, here's a performance from the tribute we put on for him last spring. It's Dan's old band, Spacetrain, with myself sitting in on keys and my almost-always guitarist holding down Dan's lead parts. The song is a segment from a "rock opera for children" that Dan masterminded, and I play a sample of Dan discussing its origins and narrative over the extended jam at the end. Hope you enjoy.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a run through the Ron Carter tune "Eighty-One" with two of my favorite musicians, John Kizilarmut and Luke Polipnick. This one takes a few turns along the way. (Sorry that there is some distortion here and there.)

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Here is a run through the Ron Carter tune "Eighty-One" with two of my favorite musicians, John Kizilarmut and Luke Polipnick. This one takes a few turns along the way. (Sorry that there is some distortion here and there.)

Smokin' as always Mitch! I think John and you work particularly well together.

Moe

---

Thanks Dave. I'd done a few arrangements for him and he asked last week if I could add strings to something they'd recorded a couple years ago. They sent me a 2mix of the track. I imported it into digital performer and made a tempo map and then locked Sibelius to DP with rewire so I could hear the track while writing the parts. I don't necessarily have to keep it locked the whole time I'm working on the chart, but it is nice to be able to hear it against it in spots. Once I'm done, I import the Sibelius midi into DP and midi through to samples and bingo. The goal for him is to record this and the others with real guys in a few months.

Such a cool performance, Mitch. I love the many twists and turns. The communication between the three of you is striking (and I'm a big fan of the guitarist's spacey approach to the intro and outro).

Do you mind getting into how you're set up, with the Leslie and the Aguilar behind you?

Samuel B. Lupowitz

I've been slowly creating ambient pieces for an album. This is the seventh piece, called: Somewhere Becoming Rain

All the other pieces are on the same page and free to stream etc :)

• 3 weeks later...

All right, well, my band went into the studio back in February and knocked this proggy little four-movement beast out in one day (with one round of horn section overdubs completed later) to coincide with the eponymous Finger Lakes Thaw festival.

That festival, of course, has been postponed. But as this song (about an actual house my wife and I lived in for two years until it gave her mold sickness) is about being trapped inside, afraid to travel, turns out it's an appropriate release right now anyway.

Enjoy!

Oh, and as usual, we released some fun audio liner notes in the form of a podcast. Since I mostly talk about the songwriting process rather than my keyboard playing, here's what's going on:

-Wurlitzer 200A through a solid-state Vox from the 1960s (one of the outsourced models when the actual Vox production line couldn't keep up with the Beatle-led demand).

-Crumar Mojo XT through the same Vox, plus a crazy Wurlitzer rotary speaker that I detailed in a separate thread -- created a very cool sort of alien Leslie sound that I really liked.

-Roland SE-02 synth (controlled with one of the little Yamaha Reface guys; the engineer twiddled knobs until we got a sound I liked. Wish I had that for my live show!).

-...and a little bit of grand piano at the end.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

I have a feeling this thread will become pretty populated over the next couple of weeks and months...

Back in January, I was in NYC for the APAP conference and hooked up with my percussionist mentor & friend, Scott Kettner. I figured we'd shoot a couple of low-key videos, but he called his videographer neighbour to come over â who happens to be from the same suburban neighbourhood as me, originally! Here's one of the results:

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Here are some of the recording sessions from "UnderGround Society's" second E.P.

"UndeGround Society" is my heavy metal project.

Bass is a sample based "1964 Thunderbird bass" sound, taken from "Ultimate Guitars" CD for Kurzweil K series synth/samplers from "Sweetwater".

Hammond sound is from Logic Pro X plug-in "Vintage B3 Organ".

Recording method for bass: Kurzweil to Apogee Duet.

DAW : Logic Pro X.

Video sound is from an ipod touch...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com