Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Remembering "p120 man"

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a P 120 for about 5 years. It was very useful because of the speakers.

I have a P140 now which is a bit better.... it is less "plunky" in the midrange somehow.... I think due to the speaker selection.

There are many things that are good about the older Yamahas. Many of us used them for years.

Anyway.... I am enjoying the P 140. One trick with these is to use a subwoofer with them.

One thing I like about the older Yamaha samples is the low register . The mid is a bit suspect. I wish the would have used a more extensive key touch range ala Roland. But the P 140 is actually pretty nice with the subwoofer still.

I used a P120 with a Nord Electro 2 module for years, playing Southern rock and country. It was a great piano, especially after Yamaha replaced the entire keybed free of charge, with lighter and much more durable P140 keys. My only complaint was the exaggerated attack.. But since I wasn't playing bebop or Chopin..one of my heroes David Maxwell played a P120, in several YouTube videos of live versions of his Maximum Blues album cuts. The P120 had a better low register for that style, IMO, than the Yamaha CP33 or CP300.

I remember P120dUdE. Despite his initial dislike of the P250, I think he eventually bought a P250 and changed his name to ChrisM250.

Other names I remember on Harmony Central were Yoozer and Kirumamoru (spelling?!)

I don"t know if these guys still post these days. I am not all that frequent a poster myself.

Migrated here from HC, I remember those guys vividly

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

http://static.flickr.com/58/185867807_e0c91da167.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/73/185867844_6be56f231d.jpg

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

he was a kid who grew up online during the course of his posting career

Lest we forget--he was also the owner of West Brook Studio, and head of it's keyboard department...

And his studio was not open to the public..

lol I remember that! Great stuff...

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

http://static.flickr.com/58/185867807_e0c91da167.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/73/185867844_6be56f231d.jpg

Mike, I am so happy you took the time out of your day to give us this visual aid. The X-Files poster is, perhaps, my favorite touch. :roll:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Mike, I am so happy you took the time out of your day to give us this visual aid. The X-Files poster is, perhaps, my favorite touch. :roll:

I didn't make these. I just found them in the on HC Forum thread on the same subject.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.