Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone think an Apple Watch is worth the $$?

Just wondering. It seems the original one was pretty lame, but version 5 seems better. Still, I really can't figure out what would make it more wonderful than just having a decent smartphone. I don't really know a lot of people with Apple Watches, and none of them has said "it's effing life changing, I can't live without it, paid for itself many times over."

Any takers?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like my wrist watch because, with it on my wrist, I don't have to dig my phone out of my pocket to see what time it is - or what day it is, or if it's time to take the roast out of the oven.

About 25 years ago, maybe more, I got an Armitron watch that has a real analog dial and a multi-function digital display that could be a day/date, digital HH:MM:SS, stop watch, alarm, and countdown timer, and it looked good, too. Eventually I had to retire it when the beeper stopped working and the crown - which controlled the display by push/pull/rotate - got too stiff to return. It couldn't be fixed - no parts. I replaced it with a Casio which has pretty much the same functions, but the dumb designers put the LCD in a place where for about 20% of each hour, the hands covered enough of the display so that it was difficult to guess a digit or two. And it looks like it belongs on the instrument panel of a tank.

But they don't make watches like that any more. [and I know someone will do a web search and post a link] While I doubt I'd ever buy an Apple watch, my next watch might have to be all digital all the time. I always like the analog hands because I can look at the watch and tell what time it is. With a digital-only display, it takes longer to sink in.

First, to use the Apple Watch, one must also have an iPhone. Having said that, my wife purchased Apple Watch 3 after the price came down (after the 4 was released), and likes it very much. I wasn't ready at that time, my decades old Movado Moondial was doing just fine.

I bought the Apple Watch 4 after the 5 came out for one additional feature: it provides capability of doing an ECG (electro-cardiogram). I have intermittent bigeminy, which expressed non-medically is like an extra part of a beat of the heart between the regular ones. It has been controlled by medication, but I wanted to keep closer track on it. I was going to wait until this past Black Friday, but Amazon offered me $100 off any order if I would get their Store card, and I didn't think there would be a better price (I was correct).

Particularly since IOS 13 was released, which works with Watch OS 6, there are a bunch of helpful things that can be done with the watch. The most useful to me is when grocery shopping. We keep our list in an app called AnyList, which is free for a single user, and has a fee of about $12/year for multiple users (the data is kept in their cloud storage). This fits well, since either or both of us may go on a grocery run (and we have a lot of other things that aren't really grocery, since the app is quite extensible).

Only thing I didn't like was having to take the phone out of my belt case, unlock it, hold it up and read the next item or 2 or 3 on the list (all I can remember at once). There is always the chance of dropping the phone, even breaking it, which would be expensive. Not, I just open the app on the watch and I can see the next could of lines of the list, plus the scroll wheel lets me see all of the list. All I have to do is lift my arm and look.

There are a LOT of health related apps, even some for medical professionals, in the Apple ecosystem. I now track my sleep, how much water I drink (this is manual, but I find that when I'm busy, I forget), how far I walk each day. I also have the current temperature and weather visible, the ECG ability, playback of music stored on the watch (mine is not cellular) to a set of bluetooth earpods, it's own GPS even if the phone is not along, and a bunch of other things. Another thing with OS 6 is an app that listens to surroundings, and warns me if there is a high noise level that can damage my hearing. Not to mention the fall detection. About every 10 days in the US, there is a news story about someone who fell and is unconscious, and the watch/phone (or watch alone if it is cellular) calls their emergency contacts AND 911 to report the fall, that they did not respond to the watch's questions, and their GPS location. A number of these people feel that they might well not be alive today if the call had not been made.

I didn't go with the new 5, because the only real extra that I saw on it is the always-lit (but dimly) screen, and I saved substantially on price.

So - I DO find that the watch has enough utility to me to be worth the $$ up front, and the need to charge it daily (I do this just after getting up, before shower and other things, and by the time I'm ready to go, the watch is also ready to go).

Others may feel differently.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

So - I DO find that the watch has enough utility to me to be worth the $$ up front, and the need to charge it daily (I do this just after getting up, before shower and other things, and by the time I'm ready to go, the watch is also ready to go).

That's the kind of information I needed. Sounds like it's not quite there yet for me given the $$$...if it was $99, for sure! I see Apple Watch 3 going for $199, so by the time Apple Watch 7 comes out, I'll probably be good to go. :)

I hadn't considered the charging issue, frankly. I just figured it could hold a charge for several days. It sounds like it charges pretty quickly, though. I assume if you charge it overnight the battery will heat up, and acquire "Li-On battery pregnancy syndrome."

Thanks for the input. Curious what others think as well.

My wife was charging hers overnight, before we both got the Sleep app. Apple does suggest leaving phone and watch both charging overnight to install watch OS updates (maybe for the convenience, don't know). Recent iPhones have different charging circuitry to reduce the battery heating, I would guess this extends to the watch also.

I haven't really tried to see how long it will keep a charge. I do know that it is highly dependent on how many apps are left running, so I close them when not using them. Usually, by the time I've used it a full day, it still has about 78% showing.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Love mine. I bought it because I'm always missing texts and calls. I never hear the phone, but I feel the tap on my wrist. I have learned to avoid using many of the apps. When my Hugh lights app installed on my watch it cut battery life down to around 2 hours. Bought my sister one a few years ago. She liked it, but the exercise apps were lacking. This year I got her a Fitbit watch.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Love mine. I bought it because I'm always missing texts and calls...This year I got her a Fitbit watch.

Fitbit is actually why I asked. I found one on the floor of the Orange Country airport that someone had lost. There's no way to return it, so I started using. I would never have thought to buy it, but I like to take walks to exercise, and it's interesting to see how much I walk. I also like that it reminds me to stop being chained to my desk every now and then, and of course, has the time. So I wondered if the Apple Watch brought so much more functionality that it would be worth it.

As to always missing texts and calls, I really get enough of them on my phone. If anything, I'd like something that auto-erases texts and calls :)

I've never really understood the appeal, but I don't use a fitbit either.

To me, a watch is a piece of jewelry, so I would never consider the Apple Watch something I would wear for decoration.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

how much water I drink (this is manual, but I find that when I'm busy, I forget)

What's the app for that? I'm sure I don't drink enough water.

I got the 5, upgrading from the 3, and planned to get one for my wife as well, mostly for the always-on feature. But, she took my 3 (replacing her Series 1) and said she doesn't see the need for the 5 yet, though I keep offering to buy it for her. :idk:

As far as the "dimly" lit always on screen, it's still very visible. Sometimes I even have trouble telling that it's not "awake."

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

There are a bunch of apps for the purpose, but the one I'm using is named "Daily Water." It shows a graphic of 9 glasses, which start full, and change to empty when clicked. Setup for it can also adjust how many are considered normal, and how large the glass is in ounces.

It displays the number of glasses as a badge. This app just uses the iPhone AFAIK, does not need the watch also. It does report results to Apple's Health app (which is considerably expanded in IOS 13 compared to IOS 12.

My wife is generally satisfied with her 3 series. The one thing I wanted most with the 4 is the ECG capability. Neither of them is by any means a toy.

Speaking of decoration - when I want a decoration (ballroom dancing, semi or formal events), I don't wear the Apple Watch. Go back to either of my two Movado watches - one has a bunch of dials on it and is called Moonphase, the other doesn't even have numbers or a second hand, and is the Andante version of the "Musuem" watch. (Andante refers to the supplied watchband). They are both very thin, elegant looking, and match very well with my tux or any ballroom costume.

At least Apple can change the internal battery on the watch. I didn't buy Airbuds because they are throw away when the batteries die. I do have a single Plantronics earset with mic that I can answer phone calls, initiate calls using Siri, and listen to music either from the phone or the watch by itself.

Jim

There are a bunch of apps for the purpose, but the one I'm using is named "Daily Water." It shows a graphic of 9 glasses, which start full, and change to empty when clicked. Setup for it can also adjust how many are considered normal, and how large the glass is in ounces.

It displays the number of glasses as a badge. This app just uses the iPhone AFAIK, does not need the watch also. It does report results to Apple's Health app (which is considerably expanded in IOS 13 compared to IOS 12.

Thanks!

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 4 weeks later...

I have an AMAZEFIT BIP , which I bought at Amazon in Canada. It does most of the functions of the Apple watch for MUCH LESS MONEY...Like ONLY $100 or less .

Now the real cool thing about my watch is that it has a REFLECTIVE LCD screen. In other words, in a lighted room, I never need to hit the backlite .This is very important when I'm riding my bike, I can see how far/fast I have gone WITHOUT HITTING A BUTTON, so I can keep at least one hand on the handlebar.

Because you hardly every use the backlite, the battery will last up to 1 month if you choose the minimalist display setting, but because my display choice is more attractive with heart rate and other goodies I get 2 weeks from a single charge.

551.thumb.jpg.d76158cb065622ea4f6abb26c2e0dc5f.jpg

Just wondering. It seems the original one was pretty lame, but version 5 seems better. Still, I really can't figure out what would make it more wonderful than just having a decent smartphone. I don't really know a lot of people with Apple Watches, and none of them has said "it's effing life changing, I can't live without it, paid for itself many times over."

Any takers?

I have a musical friend who is recovering from multiple strokes, and another from a heart attack and a triple stent. Their Watches monitor their health at all times and are set up to send alarms to doctors and friends if anything goes haywire. The heart attack victim sends EKGs to his doctor on a regular basis because his version 4 can take one just by his touching the crown with his free hand, and the stroke victim's version 4 monitors when he has a fall and determines if medical staff need to be notified.

Life changing, maybe not. Life saving? I think so.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Well...that's MUCH cooler than informing you of a Facebook update.

But, now I can't help but wonder why our big-bucks medical and insurance companies didn't come up with this. Seriously. How many people who simply want a consumer item need that kind of monitoring? And why did all the people who DID need that monitoring not have the option before Apple came up with it?

Makes me think twice about the "medical-industrial complex." When my mom went into hospice at the end of her life, she decided she didn't want to be a profit center for some stockholders. She just wanted to die with dignity...and she did.

Well...that's MUCH cooler than informing you of a Facebook update.

But, now I can't help but wonder why our big-bucks medical and insurance companies didn't come up with this. Seriously. How many people who simply want a consumer item need that kind of monitoring? And why did all the people who DID need that monitoring not have the option before Apple came up with it?

Makes me think twice about the "medical-industrial complex." When my mom went into hospice at the end of her life, she decided she didn't want to be a profit center for some stockholders. She just wanted to die with dignity...and she did.

This. Pretty much this. Yes. As to why, well... I want to tread carefully here, because I don't want to come off like an Apple fanboy (I don't have an Apple Watch and have no plans to get one, my Fitbit Versa is fine for what I need). But the fact is, for decades now there are lots of data points of Apple pushing a certain type of technology (whether or not they invented it), often against major pushback, and having it become established and then commonplace to the point where people forget that everyone said it either couldn't or shouldn't be done and it only GOT done because of Apple. This sort of health infrastructure is just one of those points.

Others you might remember:

3.5" floppy disks (who needs a sliding dust cover that can break when we have paper envelopes? And so what if it can fit in a shirt pocket?)

SCSI (this is a ridiculous connector to put on a laptop computer for high-speed data transfer, they're not meant for that sort of thing, and besides, it's a stupid standard)

Wi-Fi (it's a gimmick to sell toilet-seat iBooks in designer colors, it'll never catch on)

FireWire (this is a ridiculous connector to put on a laptop computer for high-speed data transfer, they're not meant for that sort of thing, and besides, it's a stupid standard, and besides, I want SCSI back)

LCD-based all in one desktop systems (I need a big box that I can open up and put stuff inside, and therefore one that doesn't work that way is irrelevant to everyone on the planet)

USB (this is a ridiculous connector to put on a laptop computer for high-speed data transfer, they're not meant for that sort of thing, and besides, it's a stupid standard, and besides, I want FireWire back)

The iPhone (whoever heard of a phone without a keyboard! Are they nuts? It'll never fly. And who wants to do Internet stuff on a phone anyway?)

Thunderbolt/USB 3.1 (this is a ridiculous ... you get the idea)

Not everything they've done has been a winner, for sure. The Newton was way ahead of its time and not at all ready for the world, and there was no particular reason to leave a second button off the mouse for as long as they did... but when they get it right, they get it right, and very often they do so before anyone else even recognizes a need, and when they DO recognize that need, there is a real instinct to not credit Apple because Apple. Shrug.

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

But the fact is, for decades now there are lots of data points of Apple pushing a certain type of technology (whether or not they invented it), often against major pushback, and having it become established and then commonplace to the point where people forget that everyone said it either couldn't or shouldn't be done and it only GOT done because of Apple. This sort of health infrastructure is just one of those points.

Others you might remember:

3.5" floppy disks (who needs a sliding dust cover that can break when we have paper envelopes? And so what if it can fit in a shirt pocket?)

SCSI (this is a ridiculous connector to put on a laptop computer for high-speed data transfer, they're not meant for that sort of thing, and besides, it's a stupid standard)

Wi-Fi (it's a gimmick to sell toilet-seat iBooks in designer colors, it'll never catch on)

FireWire (this is a ridiculous connector to put on a laptop computer for high-speed data transfer, they're not meant for that sort of thing, and besides, it's a stupid standard, and besides, I want SCSI back)

LCD-based all in one desktop systems (I need a big box that I can open up and put stuff inside, and therefore one that doesn't work that way is irrelevant to everyone on the planet)

USB (this is a ridiculous connector to put on a laptop computer for high-speed data transfer, they're not meant for that sort of thing, and besides, it's a stupid standard, and besides, I want FireWire back)

The iPhone (whoever heard of a phone without a keyboard! Are they nuts? It'll never fly. And who wants to do Internet stuff on a phone anyway?)

Thunderbolt/USB 3.1 (this is a ridiculous ... you get the idea)

Not everything they've done has been a winner, for sure. The Newton was way ahead of its time and not at all ready for the world, and there was no particular reason to leave a second button off the mouse for as long as they did... but when they get it right, they get it right, and very often they do so before anyone else even recognizes a need, and when they DO recognize that need, there is a real instinct to not credit Apple because Apple. Shrug.

What Apple REALLY gets right is taking something under-appreciated, and making it happen. The iPod wasn't the first portable music player, but Apple did it right. The all-in-one desktop system was done first by Commodore and Osborne, but Apple got it right. SCSI was first adopted by NCR and Adaptec after Shugart developed it, but Apple developed SCSI-1 and got it right. But another thing Apple often did first was drop things before anyone else - floppy disks, SCSI, and perhaps less successfully, "Ports for Connecting Things" (I'm sorry, but one USB-C port doesn't cut it for me). Others did smart phones, but Apple did it right. The tablet concept had been around for decades when Microsoft released the Microsoft Tablet PC in 2000, which looks very much like an iPad and found favor in the health industry. But it took 10 years later before Apple introduced the iPad, to much derision from the "pundits," and make the concept successful.

Even now, the emphasis on services trails Microsoft. But, it appears that Apple doesn't wake up in the morning, and start its day by shooting itself in the foot :)

As to Thunderbolt/USB 3.1...my understanding is that Thunderbolt will pretty much be out of the picture by 2022, when USB 4 essentially merges with Thunderbolt. They're already partway there by choosing the same physical connector. But all I know for sure is that multiple companies will be pressuring me to upgrade hardware that works just fine, because nothing new will be compatible with it :)

• 3 weeks later...
Just bought an Apple Watch 5 What a great device! It appeals to my severe geekage! :laugh:

What are your favorite features?

I check my email and schedule a lot, but the ability to respond to text messages with dictation is the handiest for me. It's seems pretty accurate. And I like playing

with the watch faces!! :)

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

I check my email and schedule a lot, but the ability to respond to text messages with dictation is the handiest for me.

I intrerpret that as it makes you work more. Is that what you really want? Is it making you any more money? Is it giving you more free time? Can you sing better? ;)

I check my email and schedule a lot, but the ability to respond to text messages with dictation is the handiest for me.

I intrerpret that as it makes you work more. Is that what you really want?

Interesting comment. So here's my take (not that anyone asked). One of the best ways to save time is to not deal with anything more than once. If you can take care of a text at the moment, it means not having to remember it and do it later.

Of course, I do think that it's good from time to time to go offline in the real world, and ignore all those intrusions. But there are situations where being able to deal with something as soon as it pops up, get it over with, and move on can be beneficial to your sanity, not detrimental.

I intrerpret that as it makes you work more. Is that what you really want?

Interesting comment. So here's my take (not that anyone asked). One of the best ways to save time is to not deal with anything more than once. If you can take care of a text at the moment, it means not having to remember it and do it later.

Of course, I do think that it's good from time to time to go offline in the real world, and ignore all those intrusions. But there are situations where being able to deal with something as soon as it pops up, get it over with, and move on can be beneficial to your sanity...not detrimental.

As to Thunderbolt/USB 3.1...my understanding is that Thunderbolt will pretty much be out of the picture by 2022, when USB 4 essentially merges with Thunderbolt. They're already partway there by choosing the same physical connector. But all I know for sure is that multiple companies will be pressuring me to upgrade hardware that works just fine, because nothing new will be compatible with it :)

This is life, when you're talking about modern tech. While vintage gear has its charms in many cases (you won't see me turning up my nose at a Steinway D or a '57 Les Paul), adherence to it in the face of obviously superior new tech carries an element of "I don't want to switch because I work efficiently with what I have"... which is a GOOD thing for much of the time... but it also carries an element of "you kids get off my lawn". :D

This is life, when you're talking about modern tech. While vintage gear has its charms in many cases (you won't see me turning up my nose at a Steinway D or a '57 Les Paul), adherence to it in the face of obviously superior new tech carries an element of "I don't want to switch because I work efficiently with what I have"... which is a GOOD thing for much of the time... but it also carries an element of "you kids get off my lawn". :D

I don't think that's the case at all. I have a Dual Xeon cheese grater Mac that was built a few weeks before the arbitrary cutoff date when Apple decided my machine could not be upgraded to 64-bit operation. There is no technical reason why it can't be upgraded. In fact it's possible to hack the machine to make it compatible with operating systems beyond Lion. But Apple's official policy was that I had to buy new hardware I didn't need to take advantage of their "obviously superior new tech" operating systems - which aren't, if comparing Windows 10 updates for my desktop machine to Apple updates for my MacBook Pro (which they kindly allow to still exist) is anything to go by. I'm sure Catalina is wonderful; the marketing department says so, and they can't be wrong. But until I stop getting emails from software companies saying "for God's sake, don't upgrade to Catalina," I'll have to pass on the obviously superior tech it offers.

I also think the "hey, the batteries don't hold a charge anymore? Just toss the thing, and buy something new" philosophy of way too many companies is insulting to consumers and shows an incredibly cavalier attitude toward the environment. That's not "kids, get off my lawn." That's "kids, stop spraying Roundup on my lawn." Although admittedly, cancer is good for the economy.

And I also think something that's obsolete after 2 or 3 years isn't even remotely "vintage" compared to a '57 Les Paul, which has been around for over half a century.

So here's my take (not that anyone asked). One of the best ways to save time is to not deal with anything more than once. If you can take care of a text at the moment, it means not having to remember it and do it later.

Of course, I do think that it's good from time to time to go offline in the real world, and ignore all those intrusions. But there are situations where being able to deal with something as soon as it pops up, get it over with, and move on can be beneficial to your sanity...not detrimental.

I understand that some people figuratively live their lives around text messages. I'm not one. If I'm doing something and I'm interrupted and act on that interruption, often as not, unless the answer is something as simple as "OK, 6:30" or "I'll bring chips" I'll forget what I was doing and start doing something else. I guess I just don't have enough free brain cells left to process an interrupt and then return to the main program.

I understand that some people figuratively live their lives around text messages. I'm not one. If I'm doing something and I'm interrupted and act on that interruption, often as not, unless the answer is something as simple as "OK, 6:30" or "I'll bring chips" I'll forget what I was doing and start doing something else. I guess I just don't have enough free brain cells left to process an interrupt and then return to the main program.

During one job I have, I need to communicate with another by text quite often over a 4 hour period. Having that ability on my wrist is a great help.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

I sometimes need to communicate with people quickly, coordinating something or whatever, particularly when I am busy. I like that I am able to say something quickly and easily without having to continually call (even though ultimately, I prefer connecting with people by talking). I appreciate things like this.

For all else, I don't bother. If I am busy doing something (going out to eat, working, creating, etc.), I'll answer text messages at MY convenience, not someone else's. I'm in control, not them, and not my phone (or watch).

I don't have an Apple Watch or any other kind of watch because I can't stand things on my wrist such as that or bracelets or whatever.

For all else, I don't bother. If I am busy doing something (going out to eat, working, creating, etc.), I'll answer text messages at MY convenience, not someone else's. I'm in control, not them, and not my phone (or watch).

When I call someone, I feel I'm asking for a privilege, not a right. When anyone apologizes to me for taking time to return a call, I tell them they have their priorities straight :)

One of the clever features of Apple Watch is if someone texts you and asks if you want to go out for steak or sushi, two of the top options are "steak" and "sushi". You can also add some more default replies to that list it gives you in the Watch app on your iPhone. It's under "Default Replies" under "Messages."

Another cool feature is that when someone calls, you can not only answer or dismiss the call, but you can swipe up and send them a text message.