Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best online Jazz Training workshops ever!

I believe that no matter what type of jazz music you play, that a bebop informed melodic vocabulary is a big plus. Post bop is more concerned with deconstruction techniques (post modernism) so do you see the advantage of coming from the most melodically sophisticated foundation (bop)?

I sure as heck do! I go a few steps further than that, even. I find the old standards, to be very helpful. I also go even further back than those, and any simple melodic idea, is worthy of attention. Basically ANY melodic idea, no matter how "simple" is worthy of attention. I am frequently hearing melodic ideas, as unexpected as the theme from Bonanza ( at first, I disliked both the show and the music, but I have grown since then) ... I will see how quickly I can mentally play this song in any key. Pick any random note, and if possible, ignore KNOWING what key you are in, and just dive in and see if you can mentally or physically play, Theme from Blue Danube, Bonanza, Flintstone, It's Now or Never ( from an opera I believe ) Happy Birthday, even. It makes not difference. The trick is see how instantly you can play these melodies without thought. The standards are wonderful areas to do this with.

Now, a song like Lush Life is difficult in original key, so hold off on that level of complexity! . Stick with simpler melodies for a while.

I can actually hear Maestro Harris saying those words, "Simple things". You have to be able to play music effortlessly... and we are not genius players, yet. So learn to play simpler things flawlessly, effortlessly. The rhythm of your phrasing, will thank you.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• 7 months later...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a 2 volume book set that covers the workshops. I think they are by Howard Reese? I also have a 21 page transcription of the 1990 work shop Barry gave for host Mark Levine

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

A cool workshop that you can watch forever. I would like to visit such a workshop. By the way, a lot of study materials can be found on specialized educational websites, but unfortunately, you can only watch the video materials. How cool to see professionals at work. I'd love to get to such a cool educational event sometime.

You could attend his weekly class. Only $10-$15 for one class, unlimited classes for the year in exchange for $45 annual membership.

I've been trying to figure out when to schedule a trip up to NYC to attend a class. I can only hope I can get this done while he is still around.

• 4 months later...