Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite New(er) Guitarist

Any time I have a discussion with other players and we talk about favorite players, it always ends up being guys that have been around 20 years or more. I'm looking for some fresh blood to check out... Some players that started getting known in the last 5 or less years. Anyone got some?

One that I did find is amazing young blues player named, Taz (https://www.tazguitar.com). I saw him at the NAMM show this January and was blown away. Actually... I recorded a bit of one tune: http://answerinfinity.com/tmp/taz.mp4

Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see lots of great players on the Circle Country music channel. Can't say as I know any of them by name as they are usually sidemen. I do not have cable nor satellite so I don't see nor hear many of the new players these days. The only music I really listen to is the old stuff from the late 60's early 70's.

Keith Semple of The Cyberiam - Great singer and writer, plays for the song, but can tear it up when called for.

[video:youtube]

Fernando Perdomo, both in his solo albums and backing up Dave Kerzner. Tasteful and varied. Classic, but modern.

With Dave Kerzner: (Fern kicks in at the 5 minute mark; then the outro! That poor guitar...)

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

+1 DBM, I know more of the old guys than who the new players are...50's 60's 70's some 80's and 90's...that's about it.

However, I bought tickets to a show later this month with 4 players I have never heard before. I'm doing this on purpose to get a hint of what's out there. These 4 players are touring together and may be well know to our forumites, but they will all be new to me. So I'm trying to keep an open ear/mind out for new stuff. They are: Mike Dawes, Cenk Erdogan, Olli Soikkeli and Jim "Kimo" West. I'll report back after the 26th of this month. I'm hoping to hear some great guitar playing. Kimo is a 4 time Grammy winner... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Great stuff, dude!

Keith Semple of The Cyberiam - Great singer and writer, plays for the song, but can tear it up when called for.

Fernando Perdomo, both in his solo albums and backing up Dave Kerzner. Tasteful and varied. Classic, but modern.

With Dave Kerzner: (Fern kicks in at the 5 minute mark; then the outro! That poor guitar...)

Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music

However, I bought tickets to a show later this month with 4 players I have never heard before. I'm doing this on purpose to get a hint of what's out there. These 4 players are touring together and may be well know to our forumites, but they will all be new to me. So I'm trying to keep an open ear/mind out for new stuff. They are: Mike Dawes, Cenk Erdogan, Olli Soikkeli and Jim "Kimo" West. I'll report back after the 26th of this month. I'm hoping to hear some great guitar playing. Kimo is a 4 time Grammy winner... :cool:

Kimo is a local LA guy who has been brought in to my studio by a client to play slack key on various tracks. He's great. He tours as guitarist in Weird Al Yankovic's band. Haven't heard of the others, but I think you'll enjoy Kimo, if you have any fondness for Hawaiian music.

Scott Fraser

+1 DBM, I know more of the old guys than who the new players are...50's 60's 70's some 80's and 90's...that's about it.

Here is some Mike Dawes .

Jenny S.

@ Surfer Girl, thanks for the clip, I know I'm going to like Mike Dawes!

@Scott, Here's a little Kimo who plays slack key, doing Maui Skies and I like Hawaiian...

Erdogon plays fretless guitar and Soikkeli plays Django! Should be a great show! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

[font:Verdana]I've only heard of Animals As Leaders' Tosin Abasi in the last 5 years, but it looks like he's been recording in known bands like Born of Osiris(whom I'd definitely heard of) since 2002. That was half his lifetime ago!

Savages' Gemma Thompson's definitely a fave of mine since they debuted back in 2013. Amanitas guitarist Josefa Hidalgo's playing really interests me, too. [/font]

Hmmm...I"m finding new stuff to enjoy all the time, but a guitarist who wowed me from a band no more than 5 years old? Can"t really say. The first that sprang to mind was Scott Holiday fo Rival Sons, but they"ve been going since 09.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Hmmm...I"m finding new stuff to enjoy all the time, but a guitarist who wowed me from a band no more than 5 years old? Can"t really say. The first that sprang to mind was Scott Holiday fo Rival Sons, but they"ve been going since 09.

Still haven't heard of Scott. I'll check him out.

Kimo is a local LA guy who has been brought in to my studio by a client to play slack key on various tracks. He's great. He tours as guitarist in Weird Al Yankovic's band. Haven't heard of the others, but I think you'll enjoy Kimo, if you have any fondness for Hawaiian music.

Went to the concert last night and I highly recommend all of the forumites attend one if they come to your area. They are headed back east today and the name of the concert is International Guitar Night. They have been doing them for 20 Years and do change players now and then. There were two new players this year, the Django Jazz player Ollie Soikkeli from Finland (now playing in New York) and Jim "Kimo West" from Hawaii. Cenk Erdogan from Turkey and Mike Dawes from the UK are the two veterans of the group. They each come out and do 3 of their original compositions for the 1st hour. Short intermission... then they come back and mix things up playing in pairs and finally all 4 playing together mixing up their various styles and expertise. Truly a great experience and they are all 4 super talented.

The reason I'm quoting / [picking] on you Scott, is due to your comment on Kimo. In his solo 3 tunes (original compositions and 3 different slack key tunings) he was excellent as were the 3 others especially Cenk Erdogan from Turkey playing a fretless guitar. But, when they started playing in pairs Kimo played with each one of them and his true talents really came out. It was hard to choose the most talented until Kimo blended his style with the others one at a time. Great show with a standing-O! :2thu: :2thu:

ps. The soundmen were phenomenal in capturing and filling the auditorium with the great sounding guitars! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Went to Vegas and caught the Dwight Yoakam show! It was one of the greatest shows I've seen and if you're a country boy or girl, I highly recommend you catch it! All of the band members are very good and they played 3 hours straight with no breaks other than Dwight telling all of the history of country music up to and including the Bakersfield sound and paying tribute to all of those artists. He also did tunes by CCR, Dylan, The Dead, The Monkees, The Byrds, Johnny Rivers, the list goes on... A full orchestra really surprised me when the curtain went up on them about half way through the show...One of Dwight's super talented guys played Banjo, guitar, pedal steel, fiddle, keys, too much to list and sang backup too as did the other guys. Anyway, his lead guitarist put on a great show and I found a "newer favorite" guitarist. His name is Eugene Edwards. Here's a sample of his playing:

The guy is a really talented player and he really puts on a great show on stage with Dwight. :cool:

Take care, Larryz