Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DeepMind 12 + Peak or Prophet Rev2 with keys

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The DM12 was the first synth I have actually learned to use and can create sounds from scratch with, and my budget would have never stretched to the Rev2, but no question the "cool factor" and stage presence of the REV2 is far superior. Played well and a beautiful instrument, OP. It's funny, because although the DM12 is very well built, I have always thought it was a bit ugly when you got a few feet away, LOL

It's a sort of classic 1972 question:

I'd like a XKE, but I'll take a 240Z.

49532706386_0f8a029241_z.jpg

L1063434 by unoh7, on Flickr

5430408014_a70cac14df_z.jpg

1973 240Z by unoh7, on Flickr

I still have it....

Like the 240, the DM12 is very forgiving and beggs you to push it. It has a tremendous flexiblity because of the elaborate effects options: you pick four from 30 or so, and you have a lot of choices in how to arrange them. The first thing I do when I work on a sound is turn them off, LOL. That act will surprise you sometimes. After a time you expect it to make a huge difference and reveal a buzzier, shorter, more dirty sound. Then one time you turn them off and the patch is even better. Those are often the sounds I get interested in understanding.

We live in an age of reverb......the sustain pedal of the 21st century...... and equally overused. What was that line from Apocalypse Now? "Oh, the pedals...." Something like that ;)

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Clearly you made a good choice and you seem happy with it. Since you're playing jazz, I'd say the priorities are to have a warm expressive tone that works for single line blowing (as opposed to, say, complex, evolving pads), a good-feeling expressive keyboard, immediacy of controls, and above all, be inspired by it by the playing experience. You may only use 10% of the Prophet's sonic capabilities, but that's totally beside the point.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I was aware that Sequential is a California company, but I didn't know until just now they're headquartered in the North Beach area of San Francisco. I've played countless gigs within a short walk of their offices. Based on this thread and on that fact, I'm now considering getting a Rev2. I auditioned a Roland Fantom for a few weeks but returned it, deciding I really need more of the 1-1 knob thing for my synth. Now I know if I develop a problem with my keyboard, I can carry it in for help.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64