Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Songs with outdated lyrics.

surfergirl

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once most the trains go maglev, people are going to be confused by songs with lyrics opining about the hypnotic sound of the steel wheels on rails.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Trying to imagine Harry Chapin's "Taxi" as "Uber"? Doesn't do it for me, somehow . . .

One thing no one has mentioned is songs with dates in the lyrics, or titles; antiquated visions of the "future", like Spirit's "1984", or White Witch's "Class of 2000".

The only one that seems oddly prescient is the Stones' "2000 Man".

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Borrowed Time, by Styx

Don't look now, but here come the eighties!

I was so cool back in sixty-five

I had it made 'cause I understood what to do to survive

I had my car, and I made the scene

Didn't give a damn about no gasoline

They can go to hell

My friend we never thought about the world

And its realities

The promised land was ours

We were the Great Society

I rock; therefore, I am.

This is for my Grandpa. Well HE was just 17 in the summer of '69.

He wanted a Stratocaster but he couldn't afford a new one, so he bought a '63 in a pawn shop.

Yeah, my same age. I also couldn't afford a new Strat in 68, so i got a used one. Turned out to be a '56. Cost me $130.

Scott Fraser

Once most the trains go maglev, people are going to be confused by songs with lyrics opining about the hypnotic sound of the steel wheels on rails.

But even still, even so,

"Everybody loves the sound

of a train

in the distance;

everybody thinks it's true."

He wanted a Stratocaster but he couldn't afford a new one, so he bought a '63 in a pawn shop. His surfboard was almost twice as long as my go to board today.

He wanted a Stratocaster but he couldn't afford a new one, so he bought a '63 in a pawn shop.

Yeah, my same age. I also couldn't afford a new Strat in 68, so i got a used one. Turned out to be a '56. Cost me $130.

Niiiiiiiiiiiice scores, Surfer Grandpa and Scott...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

But even still, even so,

"Everybody loves the sound

of a train

in the distance;

everybody thinks it's true."

But distant maglevs sound NOTHING like distant traditional steam or diesel trains.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

"She caught th\e Katy, and left me with a mule to ride."

That one was outdated when it was written, really... I thought Taj Mahal was covering an older, traditional song, but he wrote it in '68.

Hmmm.. depends on who you believe. That song was old before the Taj Mahal was a building. I am a big fan of Taj Mahal (saw him 3 times live) but he wrote that the way Led Zepplin wrote all those old blues songs on their first album.

Here is Big Joe Williams playing more or less the same song 2 years before Taj "wrote" it and talking about playing it way back when.

ah!

Thinking about some tunes that had retro references in the lyrics even when the tunes were written, like the Grateful Dead's "U.S. Blues":

"Shake the hand that shook the hand of P.T. Barnum and Charlie Chan!"

Think of characters who lived primarily in old songs and folklore, like Casey Jones, or Stagger Lee, who were legendary long before the Dead wrote about them; how many young people remember them, as anything, even song lyrics?

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Like who is Alley Oop? A 1960 hit tune about a comic book character from 1932...the cats don't bug him cuz they know better...he's a mean motor scooter and a bad go-getter...he's the king of the jungle jive...there's a man in the funny papers we all know! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Like who is Alley Oop? A 1960 hit tune about a comic book character from 1932...the cats don't bug him cuz they know better...he's a mean motor scooter and a bad go-getter...he's the king of the jungle jive...there's a man in the funny papers we all know! :cool:

Alley Oop Oop, Oop, Oop Oop!!

Love that song.

Cavemen never go out of date! Plus he had pretty cave ladies to hang with and dinosaurs to ride one. That's livin'!!!

601.jpg.7deed8c40e61ab30cea6e253e2ecc2df.jpg

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

If you play some oldies at a gig some time, bust Oop out and have some fun with it!

ps. while listening to end of the YT clip and looking at your picture Kuru, I caught the lyric "hi-o-Dinosaur" and just realized it came from the Lone Ranger's "hi-o-Silver, away"! After all these years, it just dawned on me again LOL! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

You don't have to watch Dynasty to have an attitude - Kiss

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.