Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CS-80 overview

Will Yamaha re-issue? If so, will the reimagine it for the 2020s? Behringer is working fast to get theirs out...

"GForce Software"s Dave Spiers and ace CS-80 tech Kent Spong (together with occasional contributions from Ken Freeman and salient comment from Matt Berry) take an in-depth look at one of the most exquisite and iconic polyphonic synthesisers ever made, the Yamaha CS-80."

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's David's link:

Here's the one I used...

&feature=emb_title

Both of these imbed/work on Safari+OSX+this forum.

strange.

Yeah it's odd. I got the same error message as mate stubb.. I thought maybe s character dropped off your copy.

Going to your original pst I still get an error, but clicking on the one you just put as a reply to me, it works. who knows..... :)

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

The difference in the two links is the &feature=emb_title at the end. Anytime you see something following a "&" at the end of a link, it's a server-side variable, meaning something that is passed along to the web server to do something with. In this case, the name of the server variable is "feature" and it is setting it to "emb_title" which presumably the YouTube server knows how to handle. It makes sense it should work when you view it in the YouTube site. As to whether or not it embeds properly within the forum software probably depends on the specific browser and whether it handles the server variable properly. Our OLD forum software didn't handle it at all and all server variables had to be stripped off the end of a link for it to embed at all.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The difference in the two links is the &feature=emb_title at the end. Anytime you see something following a "&" at the end of a link, it's a server-side variable, meaning something that is passed along to the web server to do something with. In this case, the name of the server variable is "feature" and it is setting it to "emb_title" which presumably the YouTube server knows how to handle. It makes sense it should work when you view it in the YouTube site. As to whether or not it embeds properly within the forum software probably depends on the specific browser and whether it handles the server variable properly. Our OLD forum software didn't handle it at all and all server variables had to be stripped off the end of a link for it to embed at all.

Helpful, thanks!

Ya OSX Safari doesn"t have issue for me.

So Apparently it depends on the browser and how it and the forum software play together.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I had one around 2003-05; completely cured me of any desire to ever own a vintage synth again. Sounded great, though...I am looking forward to what Behringer does to clone it, there are certain specific characteristics of the Oscillators unique to the CS-80 (something weird like HZ/Volt instead of volt/octave or something like that) that really goes far in generating that sound. The Deckard's Dream goes about it by a different, brute force approach. While the DD sounds very nice on its own, to me it just doesn't have that mid-range fuzziness of the CS-80. I was actually able to do better CS-80 emulations on an Alesis Andromeda (that I had at the same time) by using the filter mixer to add in some Band Pass filtering to emulate the fuzziness. These days I use U-He's Zebra2, and can pretty much nail the sound.

Oh, and 5:53...!

It will be interesting to see the Behringer if it materializes. I am happy with my CS-60 for now. Although it lacks velocity and PA, it has the best aftertouch I have ever played, has the ribbon controller, ring modulator, and it didn't cost me the price of a new car. It's a very unique and extremely expressive synth.

Really a lovely tour of a bygone era.

It"s such a fascinating evolutionary branch in synthesizer design. So many ideas that disappeared in the generations to follow, many of which just don"t have a decent modern equivalent. Adjusting the low/high brilliance with an adjacent pair of paddles looks quick and intuitive compared to setting the mid-point cutoff and key tracking. Likewise with level where you probably need to dip into a modulation matrix in modern designs. Little compromises along the way to add more features and reduce cost each took their toll, and we"re only now getting to back to wondering if we weren"t horribly wrong to have sacrificed the expressive potential of wonders like poly aftertouch.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

Yamaha never made another expression tool like that, despite pleas from product review meetings. Have to admit I acquired a new admiration after watching that video. Some things can't be understood until you experience it in person and that video did a remarkable job of that.

The CS-80 was used by the J. Geils Band, Eddy Jonson, and Vangelis, among others. It has a very squeaky quacky sounding filter, very good for leads. For now, I use a software VST emulation that is free.
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.