Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Rhodes song?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you mean Rhodes as the foundational keyboard sound of the song (as opposed to literally solo, with no other instruments), I think I'd pick this as my favorite Rhodes-centric piece...

[video:youtube]

If it doesn't catch you right away, don't give up too fast, at least listen to the first two minutes before bailing, because there's so much variety within the first two minutes...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Too many to name, but a few of the faves:

Herbie Hancock - Wiggle Waggle from Fat Albert Rotunda. Sly from Headhunters. and then the CTI Rhodes sound he & many others used when recording for that label.

Deodato - Thus Sprach Zarathustra

Stevie Wonder - You Are The Sunshine Of My Life

Pretty much anything by Richard Tee

Aretha Franklin - Bridge Over Troubled Water from Live At The Filmore (plus Billy Preston's superb Hammond playing on that track)

Cedar Walton - Animation & Another Star from Animation. The Rhodes is out of tune but the we he plays makes it sound like an asset instead of a liability.

Also the out of tune Rhodes on Monty alexander's Rass album. Like Cedar he makes it sound cool to be playing that out of tune scale.

Many more, but don't want to go on too long.

I knew the Deodato Thus Sprach Zarathustra well before i knew what a Rhodes was, or who Deodato or Strauss were.

It was used as a jingle by "Scuola Radio Elettra", an italian organization selling correspondence courses to adults and teenagers on Electronics.

They add ads in TV and i when i was a kid i was dreaming of following their courses, thing that i did later; thing that pushed me toward analog electronics, then

to analogue electronic instruments, then to electronic music (the Berlin School), and later to music, and finally i discovered what a Rhodes was, who Deodato and Strauss

were, and where the jingle came from; the whole process took around 40 years, not too bad :->.

Maurizio

PS: yes, i know this do not answer the OP question, but i hope it can be interesting anyway.

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

The Rhodes is out of tune but the we he plays makes it sound like an asset instead of a liability.

Also the out of tune Rhodes on Monty alexander's Rass album. Like Cedar he makes it sound cool to be playing that out of tune scale.

While on the topic, listen to this version of Mr. Clean by Groove Holmes and Weldon Irvine on Rhodes:

https://youtu.be/nGXgVcnvWYI

That Bb is so out of tune, I'm guessing it was intentional. None of my Rhodes ever needed any significant tuning, pitch-wise.

The answer the OP's question, I'd say Spain by Chick Corea on Light as a feather. If he meant a Rhodes-ONLY song, I can't think of any that had some kind of commercial success.

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

Don't know of any songs with nothing but Rhodes but "Mean Mistreater" by Grand Funk comes close. One of my all-time favorite Rhodes songs is "Happiness is Just Around the Bend" by Brian Auger.

In one of my bands we sometimes do "Daniel" by Elton John which is mostly Rhodes with some Mellotron. Other predominantly Rhodes songs I have done occasionally are "I Wish" by Stevie Wonder and "Dancing in the Moonlight" by King Harvest. I regularly play "Riders on the Storm" and "LA Woman" in a Doors tribute band with left-hand bass on a 1973 Fender Rhodes Piano Bass.

Right now I'm working on "Rhiannon" which has more Rhodes than you might think but is so buried in the mix that it was difficult to tell what's going on until I came across this Keys, Bass, and Drum mix which has helped immensely. There really is enough Rhodes here to carry the whole song.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

At work right now so I can't post up examples, but no George Duke?

There's a great story about how a Rhodes was put in front of him instead of a "real" piano and how in anger he decided to play it real hard out of spite and subsequently fell in love with "the Rhodes bark".

And then there's Spectrum by Billy Cobham. Seminal Rhodes piece for me. (Would someone please tell me how that Rhodes solo was "bent"? Sounds nothing like pitch bend on faux Rhodes.)

Definitely Chick on 'Light As A Feather'. Spain? 500 Miles High? How about Captain Marvel.

Zawinul"s Rhodes. Maybe on Young And Fine.

Stevie

+1 for Just The Way You Are and anytime Richard Tee laid hands on a Rhodes.

And then there's Spectrum by Billy Cobham. Seminal Rhodes piece for me. (Would someone please tell me how that Rhodes solo was "bent"? Sounds nothing like pitch bend on faux Rhodes.)

Maestro Ring Modulator.

Thanks Moe!!

BTW: Spectrum is the name of the album. The song that I was referring to is called The Red Baron.

Herbie from 02:18 ff ...

Chick ..

Herbie "Butterfly" and JoeZ "Young & Fine",- as already mentioned above,- too !

Hard to say anyway because there are so many great Rhodes recordings from giants like Joe, Herbie, Chick, Jan Hammer ... but also on Al Jarreau records and others.

Jan ...

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aYEv4RiP5s

Minimoog blends well w/ Rhodes,- and the Rhodes sound itself is special being processed thru his Fairchild tube compressor(s) and whatelse.

I love it !

:)

A.C.

No links, just some of the first things that come to mind, a bunch of Chick Corea not withstanding, I know there are plenty more -

Tom Canning (Al Jarreau) - Alonzo, Love is Real, Spain, Distracted

George Duke - Anticipation, The Touch

Greg Karukas - Blue Touch

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2