Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Remembering "p120 man"

Do folks remember 10-15 years ago there was a guy who posted on various forums under the handle p120 man? He LOVED the Yamaha P120 piano. As I recall, it was the only topic he would discuss, and he discussed it often. In retrospect, he may have been an early-ish internet "troll"... I'm not really sure.

I happened upon an old thread of his here: CLONK. But I'm not finding much else on the other keyboard related forums.

Does anyone else remember this guy?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah i surely remember him. I had a P120 myself and started to hate the thing after a while. I also had the 'bad keys" first edition that forced me to replace several white keys.

I thought 'P120 man" was very amusing because he made it sound like the P120 was the 2008 Garritan CFX /VSL CFX Yamaha wet dream.

I happened upon an old thread of his here: CLONK. But I'm not finding much else on the other keyboard related forums.

Ha ha I clicked on his name and read some of his other posts. A real one-dimensional poster that guy!

You prompted me to do the same. I had forgotten how aggressive he was, e.g., this post CLONK where he rudely asserts that the p120 is superior to the p250. As I recall, the p250 was objectively superior to the p120 by most every metric.

i remember the longest ever thread on harmony central at the time was about the p120 and string resonance, I suspect sparked by the same guy.

Really miss my 120, the build quality, fit and finish of the cabinet, styling, stability & solidness, you just don't seem to get that these days. i don't feel the sound has evolved much since then either.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

I think I've posted how I roughly figured that I made somewhere in the neighborhood of 125K with the $930 investment from W. LA Music on Cahuenga.

You attribute your earnings to a particular keyboard? Really? I think you do yourself much injustice Dave.

:idea: Unless you eventually sold it to p120man for 125K.

Really miss my 120, the build quality, fit and finish of the cabinet, styling, stability & solidness, you just don't seem to get that these days. i don't feel the sound has evolved much since then either.

I was going to buy one and waited too long, ended up with a P80, then a P90. While the APs were about the same, Yamaha never had a better Rhodes in the P series than the P120. That"s always been a mystery.

Here for the gear.

Oh man, what a character. There were a few others that I loved. There was one person who kept asking for "keyboard tablature" that made me famous for a minute when I responded with tablature I custom made for him. For Theremin. :)

And then there were some others that really made me feel protective of D Bryce and other mods. Those folks I definitely do not miss.

"For instance" is not proof.

There was a time when the Roman's thought that Corinthian columns were the height of technology and that technology could evolve no further.

Many P-120 lovers fell into the same trap but fortunately time and tech still moves on.

That said, I still have my trusty P-120 and I'm not a good enough player to complain. The Rhodes was great and is still usable, the build quality is still good and it will be a minute before I'll be able to afford a better slab. It works as a decent lower controller and it also serves as my bailout should the soft stuff fail on a gig. It's just always there. I have great stories about hung apps, blue screens of death, and bad power. That yammi held up through all of it.

(And yes, I remember P-120 dude because I think that for some reason I pissed him off. Sorry.)

I remember P120dUdE. Despite his initial dislike of the P250, I think he eventually bought a P250 and changed his name to ChrisM250.

Other names I remember on Harmony Central were Yoozer and Kirumamoru (spelling?!)

I don"t know if these guys still post these days. I am not all that frequent a poster myself.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

There was a guy asking about playing green onions and Sven Golly showed him an instructional video and the guy still came back and couldn't get it. From what I remember he got kind of nasty about it.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I believe the "dUdE" may still be with us. It has been a long while, but there was an evolution of user names, likes, dislikes, tantrums, and like someone else mentioned, seeming to "grow up online" through a a series of various personalities.

I believe the "dUdE" may still be with us. It has been a long while, but there was an evolution of user names, likes, dislikes, tantrums, and like someone else mentioned, seeming to "grow up online" through a a series of various personalities.

This has crossed my mind, too.

Here for the gear.

This has crossed my mind, too.

Back when I gave a $hit about such a thing (I have zero Fs to give these days), I made it a bit of a hobby to track some of the trolls across various forums. It was not hard to see the same sentence structure, topics, habits, etc. and sometimes cross-posted accidentally with multiple user names that were so interesting to analyze. The dUdE was one of those for sure with something in the range of 5-10 different user names between old school HC (haven't been on there in YEARS) and this forum. There were a few other prolific trolls like ChasIII and midijr to name a couple. CYLON VOCODER was pretty funny though short-lived.

It would be funny to notice these behaviors and quote posts, but change the user name in the quote to a former persona and it would drive this person/people nuts. LOL.

Back when I gave a $hit about such a thing (I have zero Fs to give these days), I made it a bit of a hobby to track some of the trolls across various forums. It was not hard to see the same sentence structure, topics, habits, etc. and sometimes cross-posted accidentally with multiple user names that were so interesting to analyze. The dUdE was one of those for sure with something in the range of 5-10 different user names ....

I'm on a photography forum where there is one of those guys right now.... He has two names which he uses all the time, and a couple other accounts he'll use occasionally if he needs an unbiased third party to back him up on something. Of course he denies he has more than one account (per the rules, users aren't allowed more than one). It always makes me wonder if he ever forgets which identity he is logged in with and posts under the wrong name!

@Outkaster, that's good. I check it every few weeks, last time still seemed to be a ghost town. I made a video of a guy (Jamaican) in the local GC giving me a reggae tutorial, think I will put it up there for your opinion.

OK Let me know. I'd be curious to see who it is.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com