Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

School Daze

Recently, I have been going back to re-visit an abandoned school I first photographed in 2010. The vandalism, tagging and scrapping since then has exploded! Fully open to the elements (IE, extremes of wet and humidity and bitter cold) have turned the paint and the floor and ceiling tiles into brittle chips.

Not the same room, but close. The general layout of all the rooms were more or less the same. I really like the little bookcases in the corners. First photo from 2010:

xrL98q.jpg

Second photo, taken yesterday:

9mE3WV.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, its in rough shape now. Scrappers have taken most of the windows, so it is wide open to the elements. The city has finally taken a stand and wants to demolish it.

A couple years ago, police responded to a call about "suspicious persons" in the building and when they arrived, they found the dead body of a young woman who had been strangled. So there is a sad story to go along with the pictures. Its fair to say Gary Indiana has some neighborhoods better than others; this one would be in the latter category. Its sketchy.

More pics coming.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. These are fascinating, thanks for posting these. I love the auditorium photo.

They still have a lot of textbooks on the shelves!

Thanks, yes these places are both fascinating and creepy/sad. The architecture buff in me likes the decrepidness but it is unfortunate how far this city (Gary) has fallen.

One photo I haven't posted yet is the "must-have" view of the entry foyer with its arched entrance, stairs and crazy peeling paint. Lead paint most likely. I hope to work up the nerve to go in there at night and light-paint it so I can post the two back-to-back. Fortunately its just inside the doors in case I have to beat a hasty exit!

That would be interesting. You can also get amazing texture from the walls with crazy peeling paint.

43856344790_3512ee5a01_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...