Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm playing drums now...

wraub

...also, still playing bass. But, not at the same time. :)

I have always wanted a kit, since I was 10 or 12, I think, and finally started assembling one about 2 years ago. The motivation was, simply, to drum, but to do it as cheaply as possible (I'm still me). ;)

At this point I have the Fender Squier of drumsets, but to me it's a beautiful thing. and it's cost me very little, thanks to good timing and great luck.

I have almost got it finished, and...it's crazy fun.

Also, have been studying and watching and learning about drums and drumming, and, I've noticed more solidity in my bass playing, and a greater awareness of the beat and note placement.

Also, it's crazy fun. :)

Anyone else here also play drums?

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did for a couple of years, before I started bass (early 70s). I put together the cheapest set of drums I could - a beat-up Sears-quality kick-drum/tomtom set and multiple trips to 48th St in Manhattan to comb thru used gear for cymbals, a floor-tom and a halfway decent snare. Found a place called Professional Percussion (a walk-up with rooms full of gear just piled up in corners). Dug out a couple of good Zildjian crashes, a pair of high-hats and a nice thick ride cymbal (and I mean, really dug them out from under a pile - I don't think I payed more than $35 for any of them - they were beat to hell). Went into the Snare room and found a really pretty Slingerland snare (red sparkle with a nice full sound) and the salesman, seeing a sucker, talked me into a Premier floor-tom. The fun part was dragging all this stuff home to NJ on the bus.

I played until we found a real drummer (who's still in the band) and I took up bass because, well, we needed a bass player and I found that, unlike Levon, I couldn't sing and play drums at the same time. That was a bit of a deal-breaker for me. The old kit was used by our new drummer (he didn't have his own kit yet) until it literally fell apart (he had it tied together with rope for the last several gigs we played with it as Dark Star), then he bit the bullet and bought a huge Tama kit for our Southern Rock phase (Sidewinder).

I regained possession of the snare and it sat in my basement until I met Stevie Becker from the Asbury Jukes. He and I became really good friends when he came off the road. He was still doing a bunch of session work with various artists and fell in love with the snare, so I gave it to him and it became his go-to snare for session work because he thought it had really good attack. I have no idea where it went after he passed on but I hope it's still making eyes wince when banged.

Every once in a while, with the 'tones, we'll swap instruments for a song or two during a set. The drummer plays guitar, the guitarists play either mandolin or bass and I'll sit behind the drums. I still remember a few things but I'm also VERY happy to surrender the sticks to someone who actually knows what he's doing.

Play. Just play.

Primary instrument is guitar (electric and acoustic), then bass.

Recently I decided to devote some time to becoming at least functional on drums. I have a home studio and can't always get somebody else to percuss for me.

Since I am in a multi-unit condo I have to keep the volume low. So I play/practice on a Korg Wavedrum Global and a Roland Handsonic, the original one and well beat up (craigslist $150).The Wavedrum is fabulous, expensive but worth every penny.

I also have a floor tom, rack tom and snare drum, thrift store stuff. The snare is a First Act that sounded better than it should. Placed on top of the floor tom you can get some interesting depth of tones and "reverb". Fun stuff.

I've found some nice percussion instruments in thrift stores. Look in the area where they put decorative wood items, the kids toys (found some great stuff there!!), the furniture and "stuff we don't know what to do with" areas and the tools (stands of all sorts end up here, cymbal and high hat stands, Koenig and Meyer mic stands etc...).

I keep looking for the perfect water bottle. A 5 gallon plastic bottle, some of them sound incredible if you listen to the hole at the top while thumping on the bottom.

So you don't really need anything special to do drumming, that is part of the fun.

It translates very well to all other musical endeavors plus it's fun!!!! Cheers,Kuru.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Thanks for the replies... A few days on, and I am really liking playing drums.

Flem-

Cool story about the snare, I'll be on the lookout for it here in the desert. ;) I think it'd be fun to switch instruments during a set. Well done. :)

Kuru-

Funny you mention thrift stores, as a main impetus for me to put a kit together on a low budget was a low-line Sonor bass drum and two Tama toms (they mostly match), found in a thrift store. From there, I also got my first hi-hat stand, a Pulse (since upgraded, but still here), my snare drum (also a Pulse, not terrible with some tuning), a nice tambourine, and my bass pedal (a Pacific, needed some cleaning) from thrift stores. All above work great.

The rest came from pawn shops and craigslist. It's a fun ride, and I have scored some truly amazing deals along the way. :D And, a basic but not at all terrible drum set.

...I actually just got rid of a 5 gallon bottle... I think it's still in the recycling bin. ;)

I bought a drum kit last fall... being mainly a keyboard player

Wanted something small and found an old Rogers Holiday. I had overlooked for years all the hardware details that goes into drums but once it's set-up properly, you're ready to play.

It's literally a different perspective when sitting behind the kit and the purpose that drums take. I almost took it for granted.

But that also mean nothing when you just want to bash away....It's all good. :wave:

Thanks for the replies... A few days on, and I am really liking playing drums.

Flem-

Cool story about the snare, I'll be on the lookout for it here in the desert. ;) I think it'd be fun to switch instruments during a set. Well done. :)

Kuru-

Funny you mention thrift stores, as a main impetus for me to put a kit together on a low budget was a low-line Sonor bass drum and two Tama toms (they mostly match), found in a thrift store. From there, I also got my first hi-hat stand, a Pulse (since upgraded, but still here), my snare drum (also a Pulse, not terrible with some tuning), a nice tambourine, and my bass pedal (a Pacific, needed some cleaning) from thrift stores. All above work great.

The rest came from pawn shops and craigslist. It's a fun ride, and I have scored some truly amazing deals along the way. :D And, a basic but not at all terrible drum set.

...I actually just got rid of a 5 gallon bottle... I think it's still in the recycling bin. ;)

Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep looking, bargains will appear. Cheers, Kuru

Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep looking, bargains will appear. Cheers, Kuru

I think I am... I am liking the sounds I'm getting, and the actual playing time is quite fun, and educational.

But, if I find too many more deals I may never eat again. ;)

I don't know that I'm coordinated enough to play drums. Not sure I'd ever get asked as thereseem to be plenty of decent drummers around here. I do have a decent Martin acoustic for teaching my class at school and filling in as WL at church. I hear there is a nice baby grand at a local Boys Ranch thrift store (long story) that I'm going to check out. If it checks out I may add that to my living room.

I think I am... I am liking the sounds I'm getting, and the actual playing time is quite fun, and educational.

Which is why I often purchase deals and flip them for a profit. Keep an eye out, you truly never know what will be at your local thrift store.

Last year I found an old ukulele, all flamed koa with "rope" binding. It had a crack on the back, badly "repaired" with brown putty. It was missing a fret (bar frets, one way I knew it was OLD) and a tuning peg.

I paid $5 for it.

Listed on eBay, got an offer for $600. Took it, done deal, on to the next.

Most deals aren't that good but it's not hard to make $50-75 bucks if you keep your eyes open. Craigslist is a great place to sell stuffs, Reverb is good for music stuff and eBay is good for anything that doesnt sell on the first two.

I know this to be true. :D

I am definitely above flipping a deal, and I have also bought a thing to flip and then liked it too much... At least it was cheap. :)

I recently got an insane deal on a bunch of cymbals, and one of the hi-hat sets in on the CL now... If it sells, it'll pay for the rest. ;)

That uke sounds cool, nicely done.

Which is why I often purchase deals and flip them for a profit. Keep an eye out, you truly never know what will be at your local thrift store.

Last year I found an old ukulele, all flamed koa with "rope" binding. It had a crack on the back, badly "repaired" with brown putty. It was missing a fret (bar frets, one way I knew it was OLD) and a tuning peg.

I paid $5 for it.

Listed on eBay, got an offer for $600. Took it, done deal, on to the next.

Most deals aren't that good but it's not hard to make $50-75 bucks if you keep your eyes open. Craigslist is a great place to sell stuffs, Reverb is good for music stuff and eBay is good for anything that doesnt sell on the first two.

I know this to be true. :D

I am definitely above flipping a deal, and I have also bought a thing to flip and then liked it too much... At least it was cheap. :)

I recently got an insane deal on a bunch of cymbals, and one of the hi-hat sets in on the CL now... If it sells, it'll pay for the rest. ;)

That uke sounds cool, nicely done.

Those "Buy 5, sell one, get 4 free" deals are awesome too!!! I've done a few of them.

You seem to have it pretty well down. I will note that I often find cool stuff in the wrong place.

Recently found a nice Dunlop Bass Cry Baby in the sporting goods and a decent Audio-Technica mic in a bin full of tools. Uhhh... what???

The wah was $6 and tax, the mic was $3 more or less. Both work perfectly.

So it pays to poke around a bit!

• 2 weeks later...

So... I actually traded those HI Hats to GC, and even the trade value was more than half the price I paid for the lot of cymbals... :)

I used the credit to put new heads on my snare drum, big improvement.

And, then...

I got an actual drumset. :D

I found it on Offer Up, and I got a 5 piece set (nothing fancy) with all new Evans heads, an extra snare drum, a nice heavy duty snare stand, an okay cymbal stand, a nice heavy duty throne, a Paiste 18" crash ride, and a cowbell :D for super cheap.

It is a starter set from about 10 years ago I think, plus the extras just mentioned, and actually sounds pretty darned good. :) It is very much a big, loud, rock and roll drumset, and I think I'm in love.

I now have a kit, 2 full sets of pretty good cymbals, 3 snare drums (2 with new Evans heads), 3 cymbal stands, and lots of sticks... and I think I may be about $300 into it all.

No complaints, and So. Much. Fun!

( I should have done this years ago.) ;)

• 2 weeks later...

...a week or so later, and, I am definitely thinking like a drummer...scary stuff. :D I already have gear likes and dislikes...

Actually, I'm realizing how much like a drummer I have always thought as a bass player... all the years of feeling "the one" have definitely helped here. ;)

Plus...it's really fun. I recommend that everybody have a drum set in their living room. ...it's not bad. :)

I'm just curious to know if you've experienced any undue knuckle hair growth or a strange desire to steal your bandmate's beer?

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I was a marching band percussionist in high school (marimba, xylophone, etc) but as I discovered synths, I also discovered that my parents were much more supportive of buying things that could be silenced with headphones. So my dream of a Neil Peart kit fell away as I acquired stacks of keyboards. Fast forward 20 something years, and my 5 year old girl is ready for lessons on something. I immediately chose drums. I bought her the cheapest Yamaha kit at the time but I definitely did not cheap out on the cymbals (something I learned from playing next to drummers my whole life). She's 17 now, and her sister is 14, and they are #1 and #3 snares in marching band. But they play guitar more than drums at home because they practice 2 hours a day at school.

So guess who "owns" a nice kit with nicer cymbals? :)

"For instance" is not proof.

I did some drum time for a while. It seemed that all my favorite bass players started on kit in church 'cause their father was the minister. Then the bass player took a week off and never got his chair back. I figured there was something to it. I did the rudiments and this cool book called "Single Surface Learning" where the concept is that if you can play it on the snare, you can play it on the kit. I learned a lot about drums that is helpful playing bass.

A big takeaway is that drummers, by getting the rudiments drummed into their heads, learn rhythms differently in school than wind instruments. Us clarinet players were taught to sound out each rhythm one note at a time. Drummers are taught to think in whole words: rudiments. And that's a way better way to read rhythms off of a chart.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Paul, I have noticed that, too... It seems like I can read drum charts easier, because of the way things are arranged and displayed...

Also, thanks for the book recommendation, noted... ;)

Lug, I may have officially succumbed to the ways of the drum, but, not a drummer yet, so your daughters and pizzas are safe from me...

Zero, do you ever play that set? Do you think you should? I always hesitated on the commitment and the noise and the space and the cost and... Then, I just did it. No regrets at all. :)

Zero, do you ever play that set? Do you think you should? I always hesitated on the commitment and the noise and the space and the cost and... Then, I just did it. No regrets at all. :)

Yep. I live in a fairly large house, and I have a dedicated studio. I actually bought power PA cabinets so I wouldn't risk blowing out my nice monitors. I play the hell out of those drums. But I still suck. It's more of an exercise routine than musical.

"For instance" is not proof.

When I was doing the drum thing I had a small Yamaha table top thing....DD50 or DD55? And I'd cue up "Frampton Comes Alive" and just play to it. Big thing that makes that a great live album is that the tempos didn't speed up like most live records do.

I'm working the day job a lot less since moving to Savannah; perhaps I should revisit the kit.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I doubt that you suck... I'm sure you can hit things while counting ;):D

I'm finding that different sonic textures and flavors help... I am enjoying the possibilities of cymbals (splashes, pans, Chinas, and more) and "other" drums... I just picked up a Pearl 10"x4.5" snare drum that I am very much enjoying... I have it set up with hi-hats and a Tama 13" floor tom I modded for use with a bass drum pedal.

There's lots of possible sounds in any kit... I'm learning to hear them. :)

Yep. I live in a fairly large house, and I have a dedicated studio. I actually bought power PA cabinets so I wouldn't risk blowing out my nice monitors. I play the hell out of those drums. But I still suck. It's more of an exercise routine than musical.

• 3 weeks later...

I always wanted to learn to play the drums ... it's probably my favourite instrument, over bass :eek:

In fact, a few nights ago I dreamt that I was playing drums in a jam and halfway through the song I realized I didn't actually know how to play the damned thing :D

I am moving out of the house and into an apartment in a few weeks, so my dreams of playing drums will be shelved for a good few years to come, I guess. But I will, at some point, get round to it.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• 3 weeks later...
Along with the "there are too many drummers (good ones) around already that I'd never get a gig" reason, and the I'm not very coordinated reason, I'm also afraid of drum G.A.S. Knowing me and the level of gear I like to have, I can't imagine what even a small kit would cost. And when/where would I practice. We have a small house. Drums are loud. Bass is bad enough as it rumbles everything.

We have a small house. Drums are loud.

Yes, drums are lound. I also live in a small house. I sold my acoustic kit and purchased an electronic set years ago. I don't like it anywhere near as much as an acoustic kit, but the volume is adjustable. Cymbals still make noise when the sticks hit the plastic, It's a compormise for sure.

:nopity:

I'm actually playing a decent amount as well. My band's drummer left a kit here to use for rehearsal. WIth the band down for the moment, I set it up in a small room and play it for a half hour or so a few times a week.

Job 1 - improve stamina. :idea::eek:

I'm ambidextrous with a right handed preference...but I'm more left-footed, so that's the way I learned to play drums - on a lefty kit. Consequently, I play a righty kit "open handed", with my snare stick in my right hand, using my left on the hats - I think Billy Cobham plays similarly (except, of course, he's actually good). Makes for interesting fills... :D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Yes, drums are loud, but, It's my house. :)

Actually, all the virus scare has others working from home here, so playing time is diminished. I did assemble a very basic smaller kit in a back room, so I can still actually play on a kit. I'm using a practice pad a lot, too.

I'm still playing as often as possible, and finding it really fun and rewarding...plus, improving time as a bass player.

No complaints, so far.

Honestly, this was a part of my decades long resistance to getting a kit... the fear of the cheap stuff, that'd break or be quickly outgrown as playing (hopefully) progressed.

When I finally decided to do it, I started with a cheap but good thrift store mix, then, when I decided to commit, I did a lot of research. and took a lot of time. I bought in pieces as prices and cash lined up, and kept learning. I also wound up being pretty lucky, I found out later. :D

Then, I looked online, at ebay, reverb, amazon, price shopping and comparing details. Seeing the prices for the quality I desired, I changed my ideals, and I think I did pretty well. Everything that I have I have seen since for more than I paid, sometimes much more.

I have good hardware, pretty good cymbals, decent shells with good heads, and overall, I have a really good sounding basic 5 piece drum set (2 up, 1 down), a smaller practice kit, 4 decent snare drums, 2 thrones, a bunch of sticks, some random percussion things... and, the price for all might shock you. ;)

It's really worth doing, imo, if it's a thing that interests you as much as it always has me.

I have no real intention of being a gigging drummer, especially these days, but, for my own edification and enjoyment, I am very pleased, and consider myself very lucky to have it.

Along with the "there are too many drummers (good ones) around already that I'd never get a gig" reason, and the I'm not very coordinated reason, I'm also afraid of drum G.A.S. Knowing me and the level of gear I like to have, I can't imagine what even a small kit would cost. And when/where would I practice. We have a small house. Drums are loud. Bass is bad enough as it rumbles everything.

Have you looked at Silent Heads and quiet cymbals? It might be what you'd need to set up an acoustic kit.

We have a small house. Drums are loud.

Yes, drums are lound. I also live in a small house. I sold my acoustic kit and purchased an electronic set years ago. I don't like it anywhere near as much as an acoustic kit, but the volume is adjustable. Cymbals still make noise when the sticks hit the plastic, It's a compormise for sure.

I'm the same as far as ambi- but right leading, and am also working on playing open-handed... I'm definitely right-footed, though.

And building the stamina is a thing. ;):D

It really is interesting how just having access to a kit, even as a non-drummer, can really motivate one to play.

I'm actually playing a decent amount as well. My band's drummer left a kit here to use for rehearsal. WIth the band down for the moment, I set it up in a small room and play it for a half hour or so a few times a week.

Job 1 - improve stamina. :idea::eek:

I'm ambidextrous with a right handed preference...but I'm more left-footed, so that's the way I learned to play drums - on a lefty kit. Consequently, I play a righty kit "open handed", with my snare stick in my right hand, using my left on the hats - I think Billy Cobham plays similarly (except, of course, he's actually good). Makes for interesting fills... :D

dB

Have you looked at Silent Heads and quiet cymbals? It might be what you'd need to set up an acoustic kit.

A drum teacher here (retired from the University and a great drummer and fantastic human) uses those in his teaching studio and really likes them.