Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Clavinet from stage piano (CP88, GS, MP7SE, SV-2)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Herbie has been using a Korg Kronos for quite a few years now for clavinet. If the SV-2 or Grandstage is the same or better then I think you should be OK with either one. NuTube on the SV-2 should help. IMO it's difficult to play clavinet on weighted keys, but I suck. Might be easy for you.
:nopity:

I am very happy using Busch"s Purgatory Creek sounds for clav and he was very thoughtful in the ways he sampled. It co exists very nicely with the effects chains in the Kurzweil Forte for me. There is also an excellent preset out of the box called 'Chameleon' which is my go to and very fun with an expression pedal changing the characteristics of the Wah.

Software wise, I use Soniccouture Clav which is outstanding for me. They take too long to load onstage though.

In agreement with the post above, I like Korg and between the Grandstage, Vox Continental and SV2 think they are very good.

Nord is long overdue for an upgrade here to the clav samples but the effects on an Electro make it fun to play clav on their waterfall keyboards. When you are not comparing it side by side with other sounds Nord Electro is always a fun instrument and ends up sitting well in a band mix. Nord"s super power is being able to tweak the exact amount of reverb or phaser rate on the fly and being in the moment.

ABECK who is on this forum is an absolute beast of a player on the clav using the GSI Gemini which I assume is what is in the Crumar Mojo 61. I want my clav to sound like him when I grow up.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Herbie has been using a Korg Kronos for quite a few years now for clavinet. If the SV-2 or Grandstage is the same or better then I think you should be OK with either one. NuTube on the SV-2 should help. IMO it's difficult to play clavinet on weighted keys, but I suck. Might be easy for you.

Actually SV2 has a 12AX7A tube, not the nutube.

I believe Grandstage clavs come from the Kronos, though without all the possible variations and tweakability the Kronos gives you.

SV2 clav is probably different.

Since OP asked about stage piano, I imagine he's already committed to weighted keys. I will say that, as weighted actions fo clav go, I found the SV1 to be above average because of the low release point, which helps it play more snappily. I imagine the SV2 will be the same.

Also in the $2k price range, one could look at the Kurzweil PC4 or Yamaha MODX8... I believe the Purgatory Creek clav sample set is available for either. The Kurzweil version is more thorough (supports all pickup positions, more velocity layers), so I'd lean that way unless you had some other reason to want to go for the Yamaha over the Kurz.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Purgatory Creek is awesome, but I'm not sure which current keyboards support custom sample-loading. It loads fast, for those who use computers on-stage.

I slightly prefer Soniccouture's Clav for most projects, but that's in the studio only, where load times aren't so critical. Purgatory Creek has two models (C, D6).

The Purgatory Creek Wurlizers are both best-in-class in my view, and the four Rhodes models are in the top three even for the current marketplace.

We get back to best-in-class for Purgatory Creek once we look at their two Pianet models (N and T). This is just remarkably well-recorded-and-programmed!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I'm not a clav purist by any measure, but the clav samples on my older Roland synth are way more fun to play than the ones on my Nord. Here's a sample:

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Mojo and Vox don't meet the "stage piano" criteria (and look at what the subject line lists in parenthesis for examples)... but the Vox clavs are in the Kronos (albeit without the nutube), and the Mojo clav is in the Crumar Seven, both of which at least have the hammer actions.

The Viscount Legend 70s looks like it could be an interesting new possibility.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)