Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Headphones you use?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, somebody gave them to me. Pretty good stuff.

AKG K240 - vintage made in Austria with 1/4" plug. $3 at Goodwill, I bought 2 pairs and one works. I like them.

Pretty hard to buy headphones that are actually bad so poke around and look for bargains.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro.....very comfortable to wear for long term use, accurate and very decent isolation. great for tracking and editing!

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Sony MDR-7506

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

ATH-M50x ..... extremely useful, since the majority of the time, if I am playing with headphones on, I am also listening intently to something and trying to figure out how it goes. These are very clear, detailed, and do not miss any nuance.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

ATH-M50x ..... extremely useful, since the majority of the time, if I am playing with headphones on, I am also listening intently to something and trying to figure out how it goes. These are very clear, detailed, and do not miss any nuance.

Ive been using these for about 8 yrs. wore the coating off the inside padding on top of head. Still sound fantastic, very clear and accurate.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Grado SR325--the foam ear pads felt like shit from day-one, rough, sandpapery against my skin. Very uncomfortable. Then they self-destructed--turned into black dust. This was particularly vexing to me because I bought the headphones not long before my daughter was born and didn't get to wear them much before they spontaneously decomposed. I wrote to the company, complaining about the powdered pads. They pretty much blew me off--told me to buy a new set of the same pads for $20. Errr, no thanks. I didn't see any reason to throw good money after bad. They sounded good while they were operational. I keep meaning to whomp up some DIY ear pads but haven't gotten to it so they just sit, collecting dust. Open air style.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro--ear pads feel good and have lasted, the headband, however, is literally painful after, say, twenty minutes. It's about an inch wide, which concentrates all the weight in a narrow area. Feels like you're carrying a rock on your head. I wrapped a washcloth around it to soften it up a bit. The sound is...nothing special. They don't do anything right, but they don't do anything wrong, either. Isolation style.

Koss Pro 4aa--it's been a while, but I remember them as being heavy, sounded pretty good. Isolation style.

There have been others, but most wouldn't work well for studio use.

Disclaimer: I come from the land of high end audio and have different expectations for sound quality than most folks. The only headphones I've ever listened to that I truly enjoyed were made by Stax and cost a bloody fortune. They wouldn't be rugged enough for studio or stage use, but the sound was to-die-for.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Sennheiser 380 Pros, the upgraded version of the 280s that sadly have been discontinued.

I live right near a highway, yet I have to do very detailed audio mixing for work. No Open cans for me, and the 380s have been some of the best of all the closed cans I've used. Build quality and comfort is better than the 280s, and the bass is more full and less wimpy than my old AKG271s, which though great stuffed from "reverse hyping" of the low end.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I use Sennheiser 280s for recording when using a microphone, but being closed-back I don't like them as much for mixing (sound-wise or comfort-wise).

Someone turned me on to massdrop, and I ended up getting the Sennheiser 600 model (can't recall the exact model, it's based on the original 600). Turned out to be a crazy good deal for 150 bucks, massdrop saves a ton. I love these phones; open-backed so very comfortable and "airy" and they sound somewhat clearer than the 280s imo.

I use Shure SRH840

They check off all the boxes that I need

The cups are good at blocking out outside noise, the sound is great. The lead is detachable, it has a 1/8 plug, with a screw-on adaptor to make it 1/4

And, they were the only ones that would trigger the t-coils in my hearing aids. The t-coil allows the hearing aids to respond to the magnetic signals going to the voice coils, making for an even better sound.

I think I paid around $200 for them,

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I use Sennheiser 280s for recording when using a microphone, but being closed-back I don't like them as much for mixing (sound-wise or comfort-wise).

Someone turned me on to massdrop, and I ended up getting the Sennheiser 600 model (can't recall the exact model, it's based on the original 600). Turned out to be a crazy good deal for 150 bucks, massdrop saves a ton. I love these phones; open-backed so very comfortable and "airy" and they sound somewhat clearer than the 280s imo.

Thanks for the tip, didn't know about them. $300 headphones for $150 is more palatable!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I was pretty skeptical at first, but people here and on other forums informed me massdrop is legit.

You might not be able to order them right away is the thing, since it's a group buy. With that headphone (and the Senn 650 they sell, which is a bit more) there are so many people buying that it shouldn't take too long.

My problem is that if I NEED headphones, it's because I need separation from the outside world, so Open Back are kind of out of the question, otherwise I'd just used NF speakers.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Sennheiser HD 598. Great sounding and comfortable. I use them with my PX-5S and Stage 3 Compact.

Another vote for the 598's here. They were on sale for around your $150 mark when I bought them & I was surprised to see their price has risen although there is a model on amazon for 199. Mine are the old tan ones & in that color they remind of an old man's car - big, plush & comfortable as anything.

I was pretty skeptical at first, but people here and on other forums informed me massdrop is legit.

You might not be able to order them right away is the thing, since it's a group buy. With that headphone (and the Senn 650 they sell, which is a bit more) there are so many people buying that it shouldn't take too long.

I got my 600s that way too. They are super comfortable. They take a bit more db to power than most closed backs. Iphone usable at max.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments.