Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond B-3X for IPad

Hello.

I wanted to ask you about latency. Is there any difference in latency when using the B-3X directly from the Ipad (camera kit) or using an external audio interface? Is it necessary to use external inerface?

Anybody?

Too many variables to answer. Depends on model of iPad, what controller you're using, how many other apps you're running on the iPad.

I can tell you that with my Legend Solo and the camera kit, I didn't notice any latency but I wasn't paying attention. I have the most recent non-pro regular iPad.

Thank you. I have the second-gen iPad Pro 12.9.

Not sure what to tell you unless they have a demo now. I rolled the dice for $100 and it turned out to work fine. Although, now I just never use it.

Maybe try out the garage band organ and see if there is latency. It's unfortunate if there is no demo of bx3. Not every has $100 to demo software. And if they do have a demo, well try give it a "spin" with the hardware you currently have and see if it works for you.

Just came from a recording session and used the B-3X on 3 songs. This sounds excellent on recordings. I will still use my Mojo 61 for organ centric songs but this thing really shines as an 'add a Hammond' type track for me.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

I checked to see if there were any latency with the Garage band organ. The latency is small but it bothers me a lot. I also have a Korg module, and there is the same annoying latency, even though I set the value to 64. With the Garage band I can't find where the latency value is set. What else can I do?

I checked to see if there were any latency with the Garage band organ. The latency is small but it bothers me a lot. I also have a Korg module, and there is the same annoying latency, even though I set the value to 64. With the Garage band I can't find where the latency value is set. What else can I do?

If you are noticing latency at a buffer size of 64, I don"t think an IOS virtual instrument is going to work for you.

For whatever reason, the way my brain is wired, I don"t really perceive the latency on garage band or korg module, UNLESS, I"m also running Spotify (to be expected) or Guitar Tabs at the same time. When I have Spotify running, the latency bothers me. When Tabs is running, I can deal. When Module or BX3 are running in isolation, I"m totally fine. Are you running any other apps at the same time? Try to reboot the iPad and ONLY run your virtual instrument. Still, it seems like you aren"t going to be satisfied with that latency. Some people just perceive it more, I suppose.

I have no experience with external interfaces for the iPad aside from the camera kit, so it"s possible they may work better, but I"ll let someone else chime in on that. Maybe you can find a dealer that will let you try one out and return it.

Just downloaded the 1.1 gig update for B3X. If you go to the "Advanced" page you'll see they added split capability for a single keyboard. Choices are:

Off

Pedal/Upper

Lower/Upper

Pedal-Lower/Upper

(Old style on left)

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/792815/4063775/414383228.jpg

Also added support for slower iPads, and AUV3 support.

Haven't tried it out yet, just wanted to give a shout out to all interested.

Jake

• Like 1

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

If you are noticing latency at a buffer size of 64, I don"t think an IOS virtual instrument is going to work for you.

For whatever reason, the way my brain is wired, I don"t really perceive the latency on garage band or korg module, UNLESS, I"m also running Spotify (to be expected) or Guitar Tabs at the same time. When I have Spotify running, the latency bothers me. When Tabs is running, I can deal. When Module or BX3 are running in isolation, I"m totally fine. Are you running any other apps at the same time? Try to reboot the iPad and ONLY run your virtual instrument. Still, it seems like you aren"t going to be satisfied with that latency. Some people just perceive it more, I suppose.

I have no experience with external interfaces for the iPad aside from the camera kit, so it"s possible they may work better, but I"ll let someone else chime in on that. Maybe you can find a dealer that will let you try one out and return it.

Airplane Mode may also help a smidge.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Wow! Can"t tell if it"s the update or just fresh ears, but it sounds way better on the top end. Working the 3300 amp and cab has definitely opened up the rocker crunch factor I've been looking for. Will gleefully forever be tweaking the EQ, compressor, and such. Anxious to get it in the band setting again.

Runs great on my iPad Air 2.

Might have to bite the bullet and give this a try on my 1st gen iPad Air.

I'm planning to replace it with a 2018 iPad Pro anyway, so no major loss if it plays like a dog...

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Runs great on my iPad Air 2.

Might have to bite the bullet and give this a try on my 1st gen iPad Air.

I'm planning to replace it with a 2018 iPad Pro anyway, so no major loss if it plays like a dog...

I have both an Ipad Air 1 and Mini 5. I only took a brief try with the Air 1 with v1.2. There may be modest improvement on the Air 1 in that the Spring Reverb, Chorus, and Overdrive stomps seemed to work now when first activated, but the Wah pedal broke the audio up immediately. I didn't do an extended play yet (only tried it out for a few minutes), so I'm not ready to take back my firm reservations against using B-3x on an Air 1. I could try Airplane mode I suppose.

I wish IK would have created a "Light" mode that disables the stomp effects and guitar cab. My feeling was that if the file presets aren't changed and no effects are added, the audio managed to hold up stably longer.

I welcome the splits and liked that the first update came out quick. I hope that IK continues to improve the software so that the stability matches its sonic prowess!

I gotta say. I criticized the first release for buffer problems and a weak high end. After a short check on the new version it seems that b3x is now ready for prime time. I haven't fully tried everything but I tried the stuff that was weak last time like the wah. I set it on the hard rock preset and flipped on the wah and it wahhed without buffer glitching. The low end no longer ducks the highs. It sounds like a different organ app. Comp is an ipad mini 4 with the latest ios as of December. Its possible that maxing out the eq or other extreme fx settings will glitch. Maybe not. If all it does is what it does for me now it's good enough for 99bucks.

Edit. I wish they had put in a delay instead of 2 reverbs.

• Like 1

FunMachine.

Hi,

I am an IK Multimedia customer and a potential buyer of the Hammond B-3X for iPad app. I would like to be able to review the user manual before making a purchase decision. How can I get access to the Hammond B-3X for iPad User Manual prior to buying the app? I would also like to know if it is possible to export presets from B-3X for iPad so that they can be transferred to another iPad or shared with another B-3X user. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

Paul

I would also like to know if it is possible to export presets from B-3X for iPad so that they can be transferred to another iPad or shared with another B-3X user. Any information would be helpful.

That's a good point. Where are presets stored, and can they be backed-up to the cloud should the iPad be lost or replaced?

Cheers,

James

x

Okay, I couldn"t get the 3300 to break up nicely without using the Tube Screamer pedal and that was really too much, too soon. Switched to the Leslie 122 amp and cab with the overdrive nearly wide open...GADZOOKS...the thing screams! The controller"s expression pedal allows sweet drive levels, just like it should. Oh man, the guys are gonna get an earful at rehearsal tonight!

The Wah is REALLY peaky, I suppose quite authentic, but ya gotta pull the master volume WAY back...like -12 dB or less. Tap that little speaker icon at the top right of the screen if it turns red to pull back the master vol. It"s a tad finicky, but real glad it"s there.

[video:youtube]

For everyone concerned about how much 'bite' this app can generate, check this out.

Jake

• Like 1

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

For everyone concerned about how much 'bite' this app can generate, check this out.

Jake

Impressive, no doubt.

However, this kind of music is not really my cup of organ tea.

Can anyone post some examples of the app reproducing a Jimmy Smith "Root Down"-era Hammond sound, please?

Cheers,

James

x

James,

Of course I can't play anywhere near James Oscar Smith's capability, but B3X can come thisclose to the 888000000 sound. When you mentioned the "Root Down" album if I recall correctly the cover had a 900 series Leslie instead of a 122. I used a little bit of the stomp eq to come close.

Jake

• Like 1

"It needs a Hammond"

This is definitely a fantastic sound for the jazz and more quiet blues tunes we do, but I'm still losing my distortion presets in the mix on the heavier tunes with the band. I'm sure it is just a matter of getting the levels set right between the compressor and EQ's and such. So many options are wonderful, but I have a lot of learning to do. Such a pro-level tool should have a pretty steep learning curve, right? What a blast!

When I cant be heard I ask myself, does this song need organ in this spot? If the guitars are covering the heavy and the organ cant be heard, maybe the band doesn't want or need me here. So I lay out. If they DO want me here they can clear me a spot, the guitars can back off to let me through. In Deep Purple there was no rhythm guitar so you could hear the hammond. If Jon Lord was in Judas Priest he would have only played the mellow parts. It's not the b3x s fault.
  • Like 1

FunMachine.