Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My new studio IS finished!

Congrats! It looks like a great space! There is nothing better than having a dedicated space that is always available for making music.

Thank you Nathanael.

Congrats Sam, looks great ! I can't fathom doing it yourself ! Good for you.

Just putting up the massive support beam and framing in my ceiling took three experienced framer guys almost a solid week on scaffolding in 100 degree heat ! I don't know how they were able to take it.

Jeez I've had a separate studio space from the house since 1988. It's been so long that I can't imagine what it would be like not having it. Been very fortunate in that and other things related to making music at home.

Thank you Dave. I had a dedicated space in my first house years ago. Once you have that experience, it's really hard to go back to a bedroom studio type of situation. I always wanted to do the same in this house, but I wasn't motivated I guess. It's a lot of work for sure. I remember how bad it was when we started it last summer.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of questions:

First, what is the diffusion panel? Did you create that out of small blocks of wood? It looks excellent.

And, I really like the floating ceiling absorption panels. I assume you made those as well.

Finally, what are the dimensions of your room in terms of tuning the sound Both, in terms of delay and EQ.

I have a 20 x 20 room which I am turning into a mixture performance space, rehearsal space, and composition space. So it has to do a lot of functions well.

Congratulations on a job well done. It is aesthetically beautiful and wonderfully functional. Thank you for sharing

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

This place is stylish comfy and full of stuff to play with!

Let us here that Kawai mic'd up vs. Keyscape!

Thank you! After doing hardly any music at home over the past 6 months, I'm so ready for this! Can hardly wait to get it tuned.

A couple of questions:

First, what is the diffusion panel? Did you create that out of small blocks of wood? It looks excellent.

And, I really like the floating ceiling absorption panels. I assume you made those as well.

Finally, what are the dimensions of your room in terms of tuning the sound Both, in terms of delay and EQ.

I have a 20 x 20 room which I am turning into a mixture performance space, rehearsal space, and composition space. So it has to do a lot of functions well.

Congratulations on a job well done. It is aesthetically beautiful and wonderfully functional. Thank you for sharing

Yes. Tell us about the diffusers and absorbers/bass traps! For all of us, that might be the most important equipment.

Yes, all those are DIY panels. A friend of mine who is an acoustic engineer came to give me some advice for sound treatment. He brought his special mics and did his thing. He said it's a lot easier to make decisions when a room is used for a particular purpose, but for a general purpose room like mine you deal with the most prominent issues the best you can. He gave me some options, and this is what I settled for. One corner in particular was a lot more boomier? than the rest, so the corner bass traps for that particular corner are a little larger and taller. He did advice me to built the bass traps all the way to the ceiling, but I wanted to see those molding!

I only have one 4' x 8' skyline diffuser on the rear wall facing the monitors. My friend said we can get all nerdy about that as well. There are ways that you can calculate room modes ...etc....to make that perfect diffuser(s), but in my case it won't be anything noticeable unless I'm prepared to put in more work into the structure ...which I wasn't. Also, there are thousands of articles on this subject published on Gearslutz forums. People post all kinds of "lab tests" with contradicting results for these type of panels. Anyone who's familiar with those threads should know what I'm talking about. At some point, I decided I just wanted this gorgeous DIY Skyline diffuser. The blocks range from 1" to 4.5"/5" and are placed at random. And Just like that, I'm ready to continue my unhealthy obsession with music after 6 depressing months! ha ha ha

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews