Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi-OT: A notation software breakup letter

I think one of the big things they did with version 3 was to build a platform they could expand upon. There have been a number of new features they've added to version 3 in .x releases. For one, they've made a lot of UI improvements to make it easier to use including ways to configure palettes for your use.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used Finale for 10 years and hated it. Then switched to Sibelius for the past 10 years and don"t like it either. I found neither to be user friendly (well, that"s an understatement!). Although I can"t stand the thought of investing more time into learning another notation app it might be time. It"s encouraging to hear positive feedback on other notation apps from experienced people on this thread.

As you move through the stages of grief, and you find yourself needing some catharsis, there"s always this classic:

I've skimmed bits of that video, but never sat through the whole thing. It's ironic and telling that the brief snippet I just now watched taught me something about Sibelius that I had never managed to figure out before, and that would have come in quite handy. Favorite line: "It"s just a parameter dump perpetrated by some dev who probably assumed that a designer would clean it up at some point in the future."

It is a long video, but it's worth watching straight through if you find yourself with a totally free 22 minutes (ha, ha) -- all the individual points are great, but there's something of an emotional and narrative arc to the full experience, especially once the narrator starts to crumble in the last few minutes.

The video accurately describes my Sibelius experience. I"ve often been unimpressed with the terrible design decisions they"ve made.