Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What studio gear do you lust after but can't justify?
#3027706 02/05/20 08:12 PM
OP Offline
What studio gear have you been lusting after, but can not rationalize spending the money on?

For me it is the Gyraf MAGNETO-DYNAMIC INFUNDIBULUM. It is a brilliant, totally passive multi-band clipper. I just love the whole concept of it and it does something really unique that none of my other tools do.... but.... the $5000 price tag makes it a bit tough to justify. http://gyraf.dk/product/g21/

I still dig it enough that if I have a really flush year of mastering I might have to pull the trigger.

[Linked Image from gyraf.dk]

Last edited by Ronan C Murphy; 02/05/20 08:13 PM.

Ronan Chris Murphy - Producer-Engineer
(King Crimson, GWAR, Ulver, Mafia III)
ronanchrismurphy.com
Re: What studio gear do you lust after but can't justify?
Ronan C Murphy #3027728 02/05/20 09:55 PM
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
It isn't a matter of justifying it, if I want it I want it!!!! It is a matter of an insufficiency of funds = $$$$$. Wah!!!! :- D

A big, beautiful sounding room far away from uncontrollable external noise with underground echo and reverb chambers would be nice...

I could drop a few million in a heartbeat, if I had a few million... So it goes.

Little by little I am putting something useful together. I will persevere and make do with what I have.
It strikes me that so many artists are successful because they release a song or an album that does NOT sound like what other people are doing.
That might be easier for me and more fun.

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Ronan C Murphy #3027761 02/06/20 12:17 AM
Just about any new analog recording console. I really want to replace my Soundcraft 600, and the perfectly-good-for-live-sound digital consoles available today at a rational price just don't fit with analog workflow. They have plenty of mic inputs, but not enough outputs, other than preamp direct outputs, to feed a 24-track recorder, and no dedicated recorder returns.

But I no longer make any money with a console. And I hardly make any money at all with audio any more. So while I could write a check for a $20,000 console, I just can't justify owning it. At this stage of my life, I'd rather spend the winter somewhere warm. But I'd go $5,000 for an API 2448. Unfortunately, API won't.

[Linked Image from apiaudio.com]

Mike Rivers #3027767 02/06/20 12:48 AM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers
I'd go $5,000 for an API 2448. Unfortunately, API won't.
grin
as for me, I was all in on this until I saw the US $5000.00 price tag
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.us]

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
Ronan C Murphy #3027778 02/06/20 03:07 AM
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
I'm with Mike Rivers - I'd love to have a really nice analog mixing console.

Ronan - that Infindibulum looks like way too much fun.

dB

Ronan C Murphy #3027783 02/06/20 03:50 AM
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Ronan C Murphy
What studio gear have you been lusting after, but can not rationalize spending the money on?

For me it is the Gyraf MAGNETO-DYNAMIC INFUNDIBULUM. It is a brilliant, totally passive multi-band clipper. I just love the whole concept of it and it does something really unique that none of my other tools do.... but.... the $5000 price tag makes it a bit tough to justify. http://gyraf.dk/product/g21/

I still dig it enough that if I have a really flush year of mastering I might have to pull the trigger.

[Linked Image from gyraf.dk]

Look at it this way, it's only $312.50 per knob. Now it seems more reasonable, true?

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
KuruPrionz #3027810 02/06/20 02:35 PM
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Originally Posted by KuruPrionz
Look at it this way, it's only $312.50 per knob. Now it seems more reasonable, true?

waitwhat idea rocker

dB

Ronan C Murphy #3027824 02/06/20 03:53 PM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
A Mac Pro. But not only can I not justify the price, I'd pretty much use it only for running Studio One and Ableton Live, because it would be useless for my Windows-only programs like Vegas and Cakewalk. And I'd need to get Mac versions of all the plug-ins I already use with Windows...and who knows if they'll work with Catalina. So aside from the price, for now I'm sticking with my Windows machine and ancient Mac Cheesegrater tower that won't run anything any more.

Dave Bryce #3028003 02/07/20 07:20 PM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Dave Bryce

Gotta love anything that has "USE WITH CAUTION" boldly front and center. thu

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
Ronan C Murphy #3028237 02/09/20 11:00 PM
N
N
I would like a Manley Vari-Mu compressor. I use a modeled vari-mu plugin from Slate Digital as a mix-buss sweetener, and it is just a little slice of magic what that can do with just 1-2 db of adjustment. Especially in M/S mode. I would have an easy time believing that the real thing is pretty special indeed. But with everything else happening in the box, I've had a hard time justifying the idea of going out just for one piece. But maybe I will change my mind sometime...

Ronan C Murphy #3028257 02/10/20 01:41 AM
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
I had a Vari-mu for a while. Bought it for the 2-buss. I really liked it for a certain type of sound, but found I had some trouble taming it's personality for some of the things I was working on.

Picked up an A Designs Nail that seems to work better for my taste.

dB

davedoerfler #3028668 02/12/20 07:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member
Originally Posted by davedoerfler
Originally Posted by Dave Bryce

Gotta love anything that has "USE WITH CAUTION" boldly front and center. thu

And the guy who builds them is a sweetheart although probably batshit insane. Check out his whole product line... I thought you couldn't get any crazier than Shadow Hills, but boy was I wrong.

As for me, the one piece of studio gear (synthesizers don't count) that I can't justify at the moment but would love to have would be the Zähl AM1 console. This falls under the purview of "analog console" but can be configured for a synth-heavy studio like mine and heavily interfaced with electronic music gear. I had a chance to meet Herr Zähl, who built the console for Conny Plank's studio, at Superbooth some years ago. He was a very lonely pro audio guy in a world of synths, but he was gracious and passionate about his work... and my GOD was that console a thing of beauty. Oh holy craaaaap.

A cheaper but still nice alternative would be building my own Schertler desk, like my brother did, but that gets spendy, too.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) grin
Janitor and Hall Monitor, Dr. Mike's Studio Workshop

clicky!: more about me ~ my schwag ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job
Dr Mike Metlay #3029133 02/15/20 05:39 AM
N
N
Originally Posted by Dr Mike Metlay

As for me, the one piece of studio gear (synthesizers don't count) that I can't justify at the moment but would love to have would be the Zähl AM1 console. This falls under the purview of "analog console" but can be configured for a synth-heavy studio like mine and heavily interfaced with electronic music gear.

Thank you for mentioning that! I didn't know that existed. It seems ideal for a synth heavy studio, and indeed, the list of users is a bunch of synth heavy EDM artists. Gorgeous piece!

Moderated by  Ronan C Murphy 

Link Copied to Clipboard