Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer 2600 Demo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that was in ElmerJFudd's 3 Days till bomb drop thread a couple of days back.

It looks to me like a very interesting piece. I'm still waiting for pricing info, though.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

And meanwhile, Korg has also released their own version of this synth.

Korg's offering has the full Tolex casing, built-in speakers, and accompanying keyboard, just like the original.. and thus will likely have a relative higher cost.

I kind of like Behringer's small rack-mountable form factor here.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Not really wanting a patch cable synth in 2020, nor a mono one, but I'll be darned if that thing doesn't sound killer....

Very much looking forward to a possible Obxa-ish keyboard if they actually build it. (Though, add in effects Uli! Even if it's just the spring emulation from this one! Hide the button for the purists, bury it in a menu.)

The Korg's $3900. Definitely out of any price range that I can justify, even to myself, much less to anyone else.

Grey

Well put, sir!

How much is the Behringer??????

I was wacthing that last night and salivating to the point of dehydration.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Korg's offering has the full Tolex casing, built-in speakers, and accompanying keyboard, just like the original.. and thus will likely have a relative higher cost.

All this is true. The people that wanted them were not concerned about cost. They were sold out (all pre orders) by day 3 of NAMM last month.

:nopity:

I played the Korg 2600 at NAMM, my first exposure to a 2600; I thought it sounded great. A couple of people there who actually owned vintage ARP 2600s of course said that it was close, but was missing something. If I had grown up with a 2600, I wouldn't have hesitated to pay for the Korg (as I did for the Minimoog Reissue). But depending how much the Berhinger costs, I could succumb...but then again you could just go Eurorack.

Do I need it? ... No. I have a modular now. My days of thinking I need a 2600 is long past.

Do I want it? ... Oh yes. I still have fantasies of playing Frankenstein on a 2600.

Will I buy it? ... Depends on price and mood at the time. Probably not. I'm trying to cut down.

I will say, Behringer is building respect. 5 years ago I would not even look at anything they put out. Now I would have no embarrassment buying and using one of their synths.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I bought a second Behringer Model D a couple of weeks ago as part of a package deal with a Synthesis Technology unit. The guy practically threw it at me, so I succumbed to temptation and gave it a good home. It's consistent in quality with the first one, which is to say, good...especially for the price (and that goes double for the price I paid for the used one...dirt cheap). And they sound damned good. If anyone wishes to pick nits about the sound, let them. I don't have a Moog unit on hand to compare them with and don't really see the point--at least for me--in splitting hairs as to whether the Behringer is faithful to the original. Their sound suits me and that's good enough to be getting on with.

If the 2600 (and the Moog modular clones and...) sounds good to me and the price is appealing, then I'll buy my Model Ds some cousins.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Uli is kicking Korg"s ass on these ARP clones. I wouldn"t mind having one of Uli"s Odyssey clones. Real size keys and everything. If I quit buying guitars I don"t need maybe six can buy some synths I don"t need. ððð

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'm lukewarm about revisiting the 2600 (used to play around on a friend's) but I if I did, it would be like this - a smaller package connected to a modern keyboard with decent pitch and mod controls. If Behringer includes their synth tool software (with key velocity and AT setups) that would be a positive in my book.

The old ARP 2600 is just too archaic for me to ever think about going back to that. But I know it has it's fans.

Earlier thread:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3019904/Searchpage/1/Main/198566/Words/arp+2600/Search/true/korg-announces-they-will-release-full-size-arp-2600-in-2020#Post3019904

There are other differences besides the ones you listed - mainly in the quality of components and construction

Uli has still got two hole cards......the obi and the CS80....one or both we know with poly AT.

Uli has still got two hole cards......the obi and the CS80....one or both we know with poly AT.

Don't forget the Jupiter 8

But if they were going to try anything, I would love to see Behringer attempt an 8- or 16-voice polysynth in the spirit of the Alesis Andromeda- not a clone, but something amazing in its own right.

• 7 months later...

I managed to keep everyone amused (okay, okay, two or three people...) by starting a thread about the Behringer Model D shipping dates and how they kept "slippin', slippin', slippin'...into the future." Except when they slipped closer, then further away again, then nearer, then further. I popped popcorn and munched away as the ship dates did their little do-see-do dance. I considered starting a similar thread for the 2600, but I guess everyone learned a lesson about the ship date thing and I wasn't seeing the back-and-forth that I was seeing for the Model D. In fact, I wasn't seeing anything at all, even though the 2600 was supposed to be officially released six months ago...then that fell into a Covid black hole along with everything else.

Glad to see that they're shipping, as I would like to order one at some point. I can't say that I'll be first in line, especially with no pricing yet.

Grey

Thanks. I've been trying to remember to watch for the price announcement and keep forgetting.

With luck, they'll be included in someone's (Sweetwater, Guitar Center, et. al.) Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale and I'll try to nab one then. That's what I did for my Model D.

Grey

They have just announced the price $599. Cheap enough? Probably.

The 2600 is $11 more expensive than the Odyssey. That ain"t the way I remember it. ð

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

If it works as advertised. Or even close .... how could we resist, right? We've all spent multiple times that amount for a digital synth we knew was going to be superceded within a few years.

It sounds great to me. I'd be looking for things like build quality, tuning stability and how well it will interface with MIDI and CV gear.

They have just announced the price $599. Cheap enough? Probably.

At that price, I have to research why I shouldn't make room for it. Prices for the Xa and CS80 are going to be interesting. Logically I'd guess around 2k. But looking at the 2600, I'll revise to 1500.....well to get the same "wow", it would take more like 1300.

Look at it this way: Assume for the moment that it does not sound like the original--complete failure to reproduce the sounds the ARP 2600 was famed for. Then it's likely (at least for me) to fall into a category where it is its own thing and is a lot of fun for the price. That said, I doubt that it will be a complete failure, although there will doubtless be a cadre of folks who complain because it doesn't have the built-in speakers and thus it's a lost cause.

I played with a guy who had a real 2600 back in the '70s. I got to play on the thing several times and liked it. However...that was friggin' forty-odd years ago and I'm not likely to sit down with Behringer's rendition and bitch because it doesn't match my long term memories of the way the original sounded through my old Ampeg SVT.

Although the demo videos I've heard so far aren't exactly exhaustive, they seem to indicate that Behringer's 2600 sounds pretty good. It's not as though I have a real one on hand to do a side-by-side critique, so I'll presumably be happy with this one and count it $600 well spent.

Grey