Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Montage or Forte to be ordered soon - excited!

My new Yamaha Montage is potentially being ordered end of February or 1st week of March, excited!

I can then maybe sell my old Motif ES7 for maybe £600+ It"s served me well for 14 years now and over 1500 shows in my Bon Jovi Tribute and other 80"s act... the bad news is it"s got to be the black one and I really wanted the white one, but it"s loads more expensive ð¤¬ð¥

now the question is... do I really want the 7 or the 8??

I have a Gold Kronos 2 88 already.... could I still enjoy my keys rig with 2 x 88 note boards? Or go for the 76 key option?

I"m not concerned with the weight as im used to lifting heavy band gear all the time ð who else gigs with 2 x 88 note boards? It"s not like I"m soloing dream theater type stuff.. it"s only Jovi and 80"s stuff...

It was a choice between a Yamaha Montage or Kurzweil Forte... in the UK I can"t test the Forte... which is a shame, but montage should compliment the Kronos nicely

Korg Kronos 2 88 Gold Edition

Yamaha Montage 8 White Edition

Crumar Mojo Suitcase

2 x Roland Fantom X8

Roland Fantom X7

2 x Roland Fantom XR’s

Yamaha Motif ES7

Kawai MP11SE

Korg TR Rack

Korg SG Rack

Quiklok, Gibraltar & K&M Stands

Kali Audio LP-8 Monitors

Soundcraft EFX12 Mixer

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I own the modx 7, and wish I had the action on the montage synths....

Personally I don't gig with ANY 88s so that's a personal thing :)

I own a (malfunctioning) pc3 and that has soured me a bit on Kurzweil. A bit harsh maybe as every model is different, and any keyboard can have issues. It is/was a GREAT all-around keyboard that would do very well with 80s stuff I think...presuming here that the Forte is the pc3 and then some.

Then again, my modx has that FM engine in it that would really help if you were going for a lot of 80s DX7 patches. The only weak points to me so far are: b3 organs, and analog sounds. The former probably not an issue with 80s so much, the latter maybe so. I have not really tried to get in there and do much programming in fairness...but when I was trying to find a decent Moog solo patch I was very underwhelmed. I felt my old pc3 did better with analog-sounding stuff. Of course, you have the Kronos with all its power to help make up for that if you find the same thing!

The Forte and PC4 also feature a full 6-op FM engine now with DX-series patch compatibility, plus the ability to route FM sounds through the rest of the VAST + KDFX engine for everything from filters to effects. So that"s definitely a bonus. If FM is something you dive deep into, however, the 8-op FM-X on the Montage / MODX has some really nice new tricks up its sleeves.

Congratulations on the new purchase! I"m a happy Forte owner but I"ve eyed the Montage any number of times, and I"m sure you"d find lots to love whichever choice you made.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

One really nice feature of the Modx/Montage is the easy hookup of an ios device or computer. I have yet to put this to a gig test but it's dead simple with a single cable handling both midi and audio. With all that power you have already though I doubt you'd need or want to do it :D

If you want the best reliability go with the Yamaha. Its also easier to build performances on. However I find the Forte more rewarding when you dig deeper into programming, more organic and better feel IMO. i'm sticking with Kurzweil but I am lucky enough to have a backup forte in case one breaks down. The montage is more commercial sounding out of the box, but the Kurzweil can achieve most sounds really well with a bit more work.

I thought the Forte was great pianos but old sounds put back into it from previous Kurzweils? Or am I mistaken? Same as the new Roland Fantom where it"s a nice shiny case with old sounds in it?ð³ð

Crumar Mojo Suitcase

2 x Roland Fantom X8

Roland Fantom X7

2 x Roland Fantom XR’s

Yamaha Motif ES7

Kawai MP11SE

Korg TR Rack

Korg SG Rack

Kali Audio LP-8 Monitors

Soundcraft EFX12 Mixer

They're both great and powerful. I've never owned any Yamaha products from the Motif lineage or found my way around Montage or MODX products very intuitively. That's just because I have never taken the time to learn them either. I feel like when I sit down at a new Kurzweil or Fantom, I start finding my way around its operations fairly intuitively and when I sit down at a Yamaha, I don't really know what all of the buttons are for and where I need to menu dive. That is just from life experience more than anything else. Same reason I look at a Nord Stage and immediately get where everything is and what the functions all do because I've spent a lot of time on it.

Lots of great players love the Montage and they sound great. It would be a learning curve for me personally. I feel pretty awesome about where I have gotten my Forte 7 to where I want it for my goals. I plan to keep it for a long, long time.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Don"t get me wrong... my Roland Fantom X8 and Yamaha Motif ES7 have served me extremely well... but I had to upgrade and I have already to a nice Gold Kronos 2 88 to replace the X8, but I"m finding it so complicated or its me!ð so I have to now replace the Motif ES7 as the keys are sticking down and you can"t buy certain parts for it anymore, so obvious upgrade is the Montage, but... Forte sounds awesome too! Never owned a Kurzweil... sure they are amazing machines ð

Crumar Mojo Suitcase

2 x Roland Fantom X8

Roland Fantom X7

2 x Roland Fantom XR’s

Yamaha Motif ES7

Kawai MP11SE

Korg TR Rack

Korg SG Rack

Kali Audio LP-8 Monitors