Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you practice?

Brian McConnon

As I'm sure is the case with most everyone, my time for practice is limited. I try to play something at least a few times a week. When I'm feeling "academic", I'll pick a rudiment and practice sticking for 15 minutes (drives my wife nuts!). Other times, I'll just try and find a groove work on feel. Otherwise I have no plan.

What do you practice when you only have a few minutes a day?

• 4 months later...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I'm sure is the case with most everyone, my time for practice is limited. I try to play something at least a few times a week. When I'm feeling "academic", I'll pick a rudiment and practice sticking for 15 minutes (drives my wife nuts!). Other times, I'll just try and find a groove work on feel. Otherwise I have no plan.

What do you practice when you only have a few minutes a day?

It helps that I have a few drum students so that keeps me practicing rudiments every week. It also helps that I play with a church band which differs from my top 40"s band because we learn different songs each week versus the same songs each gig. That helps because of the variety of the music. I also try to avoid the rabbit hole of YouTube and social media. While there are a ton of amazing players, you"ll wind up spending hours looking at that instead of actually working on your craft. Lastly, I look for drum-less tracks and shed on that.

Gear: Drums/DW Jazz series

Keys/Yamaha Montage 6, Studiologic SL 88 Grand, Hammond C3 w/145