Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Songs with outdated lyrics.

surfergirl

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the lyrics aren't necessarily outdated, but I feel outdated or at least inappropriate when singing Crack The Sky's "All American Boy":

Don't tell your mother I'm here tonight...

I think they know that I'm here with you

Your daddy's coming downstairs...

Yeah, a married 51 year old man singing that just sounds... skeevy.

But otherwise, a great tune!

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Yeah, a married 51 year old man singing that just sounds... skeevy.

!

Not quite as bad as "She's only 17, Daddy says she's too young, but she's old enough for me"

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Thanks, guys. Right now, I'm trying very hard NOT to picture Jagger at 70 singing "Stray Cat Blues." Just . . . yuck!

Back on topic, how about lyrics like, "I love Rock and Roll, Put another dime in the jukebox, baby."

"She's my Little Deuce Coupe . . ."

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

It's funny. Sometime in November I watched the a movie on the last remaining Juke Joints. In it, Robert Johnson came up. With that I read more and more about Robert Johnson and then ordered All the recorded music of Robert Johnson. I listened to it and I read the lyrics from it. It's never old or out dated. Study Robert Johnson, there is some very cool and spooky stuff there that's great. Plus, everyone stole it and used it.

"She'll have fun fun fun 'til her daddy takes T-mobile away . . ." No, sorry, I'm with DinoMike on this, it just doesn't work.

Blondie's "Hanging On the Telephone": "Hang up and run to me!" Hang up what, and run where? He's right at your front door, texting you!

Once everybody has some version of Ring, songs like Men At Work's "Who Can It Be Now?" are going to sound pretty silly, too.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

@ Danny A, I think daddy taking away the T-Mobile would be just as bad as taking away the Tbird LOL! @ WP, +1 on Little Deuce Coupe, that one is full of car lyrics like: a competition clutch and 4 on the floor! Another car analogy: I got a hot rod Ford and a two dollar bill...or, My little GTO! OMG! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

"She'll have fun fun fun 'til her daddy takes T-mobile away . . ." No, sorry, I'm with DinoMike on this, it just doesn't work.

Have you seen the smartphone zombies out there? Nearly hit one the other day who stepped off the curb in front of my car. She was FaceTiming/Skyping someone.

Hell...a while back, I noticed a couple on a date seated near me in a restaurant texting each other instead of talking.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Not much we can do about old music, old books, or anything else old, except enjoy what we like. What we create today will be old tomorrow. The word "old" itself, is relative, along with everything else. But I state the obvious, which goes along with this thread quite nicely.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

:rocker:

Well, I saw the thing comin' out of the sky

It had the one long horn, one big eye

I commenced to shakin' and I said "ooh-eee"

It looks like a purple eater to me

It was a one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater

(One-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater)

A one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater

Sure looks strange to me (one eye?)

Well he came down to earth and he lit in a tree

I said Mr. Purple People Eater, don't eat me

I heard him say in a voice so gruff

"I wouldn't eat you 'cause you're so tough"

It was a one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater

One-eyed, one-horned flyin' purple people eater

One-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater

Sure looks strange to me (one horn?)

"She caught th\e Katy, and left me with a mule to ride."

That one was outdated when it was written, really... I thought Taj Mahal was covering an older, traditional song, but he wrote it in '68.

Hmmm.. depends on who you believe. That song was old before the Taj Mahal was a building. I am a big fan of Taj Mahal (saw him 3 times live) but he wrote that the way Led Zepplin wrote all those old blues songs on their first album.

Here is Big Joe Williams playing more or less the same song 2 years before Taj "wrote" it and talking about playing it way back when.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

@ Kuru & P90, I didn't catch onto the Katy until 1999, when the Blues Brothers put out their version. My band got lots of good comments on the song and I got a kick out of singing it. I loved the lyrics (paraphrasing);

"Man my baby's long, Good gosh almighty my baby's tall:|| well my babies she's long, my babies tall, she sleeps with her head in the kitchen, and her feet out in the hall, I'm crazy bout that, hard headed woman of mine"... :cool: :cool:

Take care, Larryz

"She caught th\e Katy, and left me with a mule to ride."

That one was outdated when it was written, really... I thought Taj Mahal was covering an older, traditional song, but he wrote it in '68.

Hmmm.. depends on who you believe. That song was old before the Taj Mahal was a building.

Either way, the actual "Katy" railroad (the Missouri-Kansas-Texas RR) has been gone since 1988 but no one had caught them since the 1960s... Unless of course they hopped a freight! Which is possible...