Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

These look great as a rehearsal/backup VST controller. I use GigPerformer and don't need many MIDI controls, just need to send program changes to switch rackspaces.

Can anyone confirm that the PX-S1000 sends PCs when you do the function + key combos you would hit to switch internal sounds? I did look at the MIDI implementation chart but my interpretive powers are limited.

Also, for anyone already using these to control VSTs, are you feeding the VST output back into the keyboard speakers? I like the idea of getting some tactile feedback, curious if it works well.

Thanks

I use the PX-S3000 in my Gig Performer rig.

You do NOT want to use it to change racks/patches in GP or Mainstage. A klunky experience.

As far as running an audio feed back into the PX, it works great. You just have to be careful of the signal level you"re sending to the PX.

It"s easy to overdrive the speakers if you"re coming in hot.

What I do is take a separate output from my 18i20 interface and have that set lower than what gets sent to FOH or Monitor desk.

That way I get enough signal so I can 'feel' what I"m playing.

In my rig I use a MODX6 or Keylab61 mk2 uptop.

Those are what drive all the rack changes in GP

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Thanks, EscapeRocks. Still seems promising for AP-only stuff where I don't need to switch rackspaces.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great board. Just don't plan on it being a controller controller... i.e. it's great for note on note off....

If you spend some time with the PianoTeq velocity curve setup, you will see how nuanced you can get.

I've been playing a lot of Keyscape stuff with the PXS3000 as well, and it's wonderful.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I use the patch change buttons on the PX-S3000 to select Gig Performer rackspaces. But my needs are simple: mostly just to switch between AP, EP, and B3 (although I have horns, strings, and some splits setup too). I used it on a classic rock gig and it worked fine. I wouldn't attempt anything more complex. As David pointed out, it's not a controller controller.

Thanks, EscapeRocks. Still seems promising for AP-only stuff where I don't need to switch rackspaces.

If you spend some time with the PianoTeq velocity curve setup, you will see how nuanced you can get.

What instruments are you using in Pianoteq? I have the YC5, SW Model D and Electric Pianos. I get pretty good results using the stock Moderately Slow curve, but I'd be curious to see what you're using as a comparison.

• 2 years later...

It's probably best to revisit this thread than opening a new one. 

It's been 2 years that I've been playing the S3000 and I still think the same about the keybed. While it cannot be  compared to a high end keyboard, it's a very playable instrument in the price range. People have sent me that 'Casio keybed has a flaw' video a 1000 times. At some point I decided to take it to a local pianist friend and see what he has to say about it. He's a great musician and never seen or played any of these models before. At this point I was just curious to see his reaction in person I guess.  It was fun! I didn't show him that video until he played it for a while and even ended up recording his own video. He agreed with me. Yes, the keys feel light but otherwise very responsive. There's no strange feel between the white and black keys. Excluding the VPC1, any hammered action keybed on any keyboard I've played feel light.  I asked him to incorporate challenging techniques in different keys and see how it goes. The S3000 plays just fine. I don't even know if these models are discontinued or what, so this may not even be relevant anymore, but still wanted to share my experience. 

This is my friend Leon playing his original composition on the S3000

• Like 1
www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews