Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Team Test: Arturia Pigments 2
Dave Bryce #3033497 03/15/20 07:12 PM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Forgive the name dropping...but last week I did a few things for Sheena Easton to use in her live show. They now have Pigments 2 in da house. I used it for pads, brass type stuff (although it was layered with Omnisphere for this one), and some arp/seq type sounds. All were pretty much factory presets that I tweaked to fit what I wanted. Wonderful VI to have in the toolbox. With a lot of synths the technical stuff gets away from me and I'm just a knob turner/tweaker find it as quick as I can and track kind of guy. Point is... it was a valuable part of the project.

2 members like this: Pim, Tusker
Dave Bryce #3040748 04/26/20 10:13 PM
Pim Offline
MPN Advisory Board
Gold Member
MPN Advisory Board
Gold Member
Pigments 2 is in my V7 pack. V7 is the digital back bone of my today's electronic music. The Mini, Matrix and SEM are basically all I need. Arturia does a beautiful job in recreating the past.

For this review I played around with Pigments 2 for two days. Sampled a coconut (horse-gallop) I split the day before (yummie!), recorded the Mini and created my own Moog wavetables, programmed some analogue pads, basses, grainy stuff...

The fun:
- Using a wavetable to modulate the filters is an interesting feature.
- Workflow for creating wavetables is smoooooth. Just import a whole directory and you're done.
- You can dive deep - a sound designers dream!
- Moulding curves on the envelopes is always good. (Andromeda)
- The sampler - ultra fast and simple: I found a new S612!
- MPE - I'm thinking of purchasing a Roli.
- The lipstick and powder - the looks.

There are some things that you can't cover up with lipstick and powder: (Quizzz: what's the title and who wrote the song?)
- Three LFO's - that's just one more than the SEM V2 has - which is considered a 'simple' synthesizer.
- What's wrong with that pulse wave? You can't run a full pulse with modulation and somewhere there is some aliasing flying around.
- Wavetables - I made my own wavetables twenty years ago on the Waldorf Microwave XT. That sounded great. My own wavetables in Pigments sound grainy like a broken Casio CZ.
- The filters: Please Arturia don't go for great specs, choose SOUND. I would have been happy with just the Matrix filters - these are okay.
- Way too many "interesting" sound results. "Interesting" does not inspire me to play, compose and record songs.
- Where's the global FX switch? I want to hear the SOUND.
- Some factory programs are too loud (LED bar indicator is a plus btw) and started to crackle.

Almost everything seemed done right until I closed my eyes and started to listen. It's the sound of Pigments that made me long for the Mini, SEM, Matrix-12, Synclavier.

Do I recommend it? For a first synth: no. Buy the Arturia Mini, SEM, the CS. As a second synth? Maybe a good choice if you want to explore sound design. Overall I would say that the Synclavier is a far better sounding rival. Would I buy a Roli for using on Pigments? No. I'll rather wait until Arturia delivers a next synth with MPE.

Last edited by Pim; 04/27/20 08:23 PM. Reason: Typo

keys My Musicthx I always wondered what happened after the fade out?
2 members like this: Markyboard, Dave Bryce
Pim #3040791 04/27/20 04:58 AM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Pim
There are some things that you can't cover up with lipstick and powder: (Quizzz: what's the title and who wrote the song?)

Girls Talk -Elvis Costello (and yes I knew this and didn't search for the answer) cool

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
1 member likes this: Pim
davedoerfler #3040797 04/27/20 05:47 AM
Pim Offline
MPN Advisory Board
Gold Member
MPN Advisory Board
Gold Member
Originally Posted by davedoerfler
Originally Posted by Pim

Girls Talk -Elvis Costello (and yes I knew this and didn't search for the answer) cool
Correct answer! 👍🏻

keys My Musicthx I always wondered what happened after the fade out?
Pim #3044094 05/16/20 03:27 PM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Pim
Pigments 2 is in my V7 pack. V7 is the digital back bone of my today's electronic music. The Mini, Matrix and SEM are basically all I need. Arturia does a beautiful job in recreating the past.

For this review I played around with Pigments 2 for two days. Sampled a coconut (horse-gallop) I split the day before (yummie!), recorded the Mini and created my own Moog wavetables, programmed some analogue pads, basses, grainy stuff...

The fun:
- Using a wavetable to modulate the filters is an interesting feature.
- Workflow for creating wavetables is smoooooth. Just import a whole directory and you're done.
- You can dive deep - a sound designers dream!
- Moulding curves on the envelopes is always good. (Andromeda)
- The sampler - ultra fast and simple: I found a new S612!
- MPE - I'm thinking of purchasing a Roli.
- The lipstick and powder - the looks.

- Three LFO's - that's just one more than the SEM V2 has - which is considered a 'simple' synthesizer.
- What's wrong with that pulse wave? You can't run a full pulse with modulation and somewhere there is some aliasing flying around.
- Wavetables - I made my own wavetables twenty years ago on the Waldorf Microwave XT. That sounded great. My own wavetables in Pigments sound grainy like a broken Casio CZ.
- The filters: Please Arturia don't go for great specs, choose SOUND. I would have been happy with just the Matrix filters - these are okay.
- Way too many "interesting" sound results. "Interesting" does not inspire me to play, compose and record songs.
- Where's the global FX switch? I want to hear the SOUND.
- Some factory programs are too loud (LED bar indicator is a plus btw) and started to crackle.

Almost everything seemed done right until I closed my eyes and started to listen. It's the sound of Pigments that made me long for the Mini, SEM, Matrix-12, Synclavier.

Do I recommend it? For a first synth: no. Buy the Arturia Mini, SEM, the CS. As a second synth? Maybe a good choice if you want to explore sound design. Overall I would say that the Synclavier is a far better sounding rival. Would I buy a Roli for using on Pigments? No. I'll rather wait until Arturia delivers a next synth with MPE.

Love this well-rounded summary review; brutally honest 2thu.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard