Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lyle Mays� ocarina-like lead...

Keyboard Mag - APR 6, 2016

' Whenever anyone compiles a list of the most famous synth sounds, Lyle Mays" ocarina-like lead is certain to be in the Top 10. That"s interesting, considering he never took a true solo with it: He used synths exclusively as orchestration tools. Yet the sound became his signature, and every few months I see people asking on synth and keyboard forums how to make it....

https://www.keyboardmag.com/lessons/the-art-of-synth-soloing-lyle-mays-signature-synth-sound

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a JX-10 back in the day, and I recall that the non-editable (non-User) patch section already had the signature Lyle Mays sound written into ROM memory. It was pretty spot-on, and I definitely used it for PM covers.

This may have been a later revised version of the JX, where Eric Persing included that sound as a stock sound.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

I was just trying to program this on my Deepmind12 yesterday. Googled and found the Keyboard article. Spent some time and got close, but still no cigar. If you're reading this, Burningbusch, would love to get schooled!!

EDIT: Was failing to get that "hollow" sound and the right kind of modulation, but getting much closer after a session today.

"May you stay...forever young."

I was just trying to program this on my Deepmind12 yesterday. Googled and found the Keyboard article. Spent some time and got close, but still no cigar. If you're reading this, Burningbusch, would love to get schooled!!

EDIT: Was failing to get that "hollow" sound and the right kind of modulation, but getting much closer after a session today.

For me, the feature that nailed the sound was the downward pitch on the attack. Listen to As Falls Wichita... "It's for you" (Which is the motivation for the the Album cover).

On "It's for you", the organ chord on the end of the vocal interlude is the most exquisite polychords I've ever heard!

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3