Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Bluetooth Headphones?

I saw a mention of the Eris HD10BT Bluetooth headphones (by Presonus) and it got me thinking...they're circumaural headphones, with 18 dB of noise cancellation. So I looked further, and although most of Bluetooth headphones are earbuds, I saw headphones from Behringer for about half the price, Bose for about twice the price, a zillion brands I've never head of before (Mpow, Vogek, Cowin), etc.

I'd find Bluetooth headphones useful...I have the Bose SoundSport Free, which have a surprisingly flat response. They're like IEMs so they cut down on noise, but aren't noise-cancelling for situations like air travel.

So SSSers...do any of you have experience with Bluetooth headphones? Any you like? Any you regret buying? Inquiring minds want to know...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...I have the Shure SE215 in-ears, and they're definitely pretty good - so I can image that something 3X the price would be awesome!

But I was thinking more about a circumaural set of phones. Sometimes it's easier to wrap those around your head than deal with the earbuds. Also, I would prefer true wireless...that's one of the things I really like about the SoundSport.

I have two sets of Bluetooth headphones from Audio Technica - they were trades show giveaways. One is an in-ear set with a lump in the cable connecting the two. I don't like having things in my ears, and I don't like the lump, so I've only tried them to verify that they work, and set them in the "in case of headphone failure break glass" display case. The other is an over-the-ear set that are OK, but far from spectacular.

In general I'm not an earphone listener. I use the over-the-ear set when playing music from my phone (MP3) when I'm on an airplane so I've never really heard them when fed with good quality audio. While they're not active noise cancelling, they soften the roar enough so that I don't need to listen to music at a high volume, and they're comfortable enough so that I can wear them on a 5-hour flight without needing a break.

They use a (HOORAY! - replaceable) AAA cell for power. The in-ear phones are rechargeable but I've never used them for long enough to know how long a charge lasts. The spec sheet says 7 hours, and 200 hours on standby (I guess there's no "off") so it means that if they haven't been charged in a week, they'll need charging before use. PITA, I think.

The main reason I want over-the-ear headphones is that when taking walks, if there's wind, they keep out wind noise better than in-ear types. Yes, charging batteries is a PITA, but I've figured out a basic kind of charging station that keeps batteries for all my portable things ready to go (more or less). Still, like you, I prefer replaceable, non-proprietary batteries. I get rechargeables but if they crap out, I can always slip I alkalines until the rechargeables do their thing.

I strongly recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT. Sure, the ATH-M50 headphones aren't perfect, but they have a lot of proponents for various reasons (including me). And if you like the sound and comfort and isolation and foldability and ruggedness of the M50x, why not get a Bluetooth version that sounds exactly the same, has easy-to-use controls on the left earcup, and can be wired with a removable and replaceable miniplug cable when the battery dies (which takes many hours)? A no-brainer.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I strongly recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT. Sure, the ATH-M50 headphones aren't perfect, but they have a lot of proponents for various reasons (including me). And if you like the sound and comfort and isolation and foldability and ruggedness of the M50x, why not get a Bluetooth version that sounds exactly the same, has easy-to-use controls on the left earcup, and can be wired with a removable and replaceable miniplug cable when the battery dies (which takes many hours)? A no-brainer.
Great suggestion, and yes, the ATH-M50 is a workhorse headphone (I have one in my studio). The $199 price tag gives me pause, but I suspect I'd end up being unhappy with anything less...and the cable option is a big plus. Thanks Mike!!