Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Software question

I would appreciate any info regarding my question. I would like to be able to scan any music score and load it into a program that would recognize and read the score and play the music through a sound card or software instrument. I would like to be able to adjust the playback speed up or down. That would be an invaluable tool for learning complex keyboard pieces. Does such software exist?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will find that the major scoring programs (Sibelius and Finale are two examples) include the ability to scan a score and will allow you play the score back at different tempi. But there may be simpler (and cheaper) alternatives. Is it a popular tune?

a) You can find it on you youtube and use the settings button (the one that looks like a gear) to slow down the performance. For example a search on youtube for "beethoven moonlight sonata score" brought a video of a piano performance and the score. The website called https://www.infinitelooper.com will allow you to loop between particular points in the music (and vary the speed) so that you can practice the tricky bits.

b) Head over to https://www.classicalarchives.com/midi.html and see if you can find the tune there. Import the midi file into a sequencer (Garageband is free for mac and there are number of free sequencers online for windows). Change the tempo in the sequencer. You can also set loop points in nearly every sequencer.

Personally, I have been studying hand-over-hand technique. I found it helpful to watch the fingering and hand movements of advanced pianists, as in this example. It brought home to me the need for relaxation and economy of movement. Perhaps watching a few performances will also help you learn a piece. While pedagogists might tell you that the only way to study is with a teacher, many musicians have related how their eyes were opened simply by experiencing someone play a piece beautifully. All the best!

[video:youtube]

Thanks, I already know about the ability to slow down YouTube videos. What I would like to do is scan Oscar Peterson transcriptions that I have in books, into a program that would then play the song. Then I want to slow it down, so I can practice along with it and gradually get faster. I already have time stretching software on my PC and my iOS devices, which I use for Keith Emerson transcriptions.

Maybe I'm missing some new technology, but the approach I take is to just enter the score into notation software using my MIDI keyboard. I use MuseScore, and once I got comfortable with the shortcut keys, and, as I said, using my MIDI keyboard, I can enter a page of pretty complex music in maybe 10 minutes or so.

To give you a direct answer Radagast, no. Thjs is probably the biggest wishlist question from musicians the world over. The tech is simply not there other than in a multi million dollar university computer lab. The second highest wishlist item for muso's is audio to midi conversion. Same thing, Melodyne does it Ableton does it but read some comments about it. A single note melody line, no problem. Start adding instruments, especially chording instruments, forget it. Under perfect conditions, perfect source material that is not too complex, maybe it's half decent.

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I would appreciate any info regarding my question. I would like to be able to scan any music score and load it into a program that would recognize and read the score and play the music through a sound card or software instrument. I would like to be able to adjust the playback speed up or down. That would be an invaluable tool for learning complex keyboard pieces. Does such software exist?

Kawai Japan produces the "Score Maker" software for Windows, which can recognise scores from scanned images, or even from an image shot on a smartphone.

[video:youtube]

Unfortunately, I don't believe the software is available outside of Japan, nor can the interface language be changed.

Kind regards,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

MuseScore is developing such a feature:

https://musescore.org/en/node/301061

It is already available online at

https://musescore.com/import

and you can get the standalone Audiveris software that MuseScore uses in these:

https://github.com/audiveris

but I've found it hard to use and not very efficient.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.